OT: MARK (or anyone) ASTRO door hinge help!

• Members

mark seems to have a lot of experience with these vans so i am asking here for some help.

quick backstory: i knew i had problems with the drivers door when i bought the van. its not hard to see that at some point the wind caught this door and ripped it to far past the design and bent the door. you can see the crease in the skin and the door is clunky when opening/shutting. replacement door has been the plan since the day i bought the van.

now 14 months later i have having some issues - still havent found the right door yet (i'm not being picky, but it seems i need a gen 1 door or weld/cut gen 2 door). the upper hinge top bushing has been falling out onto the pin and causing the door to not close/open right. i have been putting the bushing back up into the hinge and tapping it into place for around 8 months every month or so. not so bad right? well today i opened the door and the bushing fell out onto the ground in pieces. off to napa for a pin/bushing kit. got the old pin out (didnt even need air hammer! came right out with a ball peen). got it back together ind didnt expect it to work right and no i am not dissapointed that it still closes/opens clunky. the whole door is bent. its not going to work right.

decided to inspect lower door hinge. its HALF GONE. literally the top part of the hinge that attaches to the van is wallowed out so bad that its no longer a hinge. its not a circle, its a "C".

hinges are welded in. i know i can buy new ones, i am wondering how big a disaster it will be to get the old one out?

• Members

I strongly suggest to replace the whole door.  I haven't changed hinges yet on an Astrovan, but I treat those hinges with a lot of respect since I know they're welded to the door... and if the hinge-mate area of the door gets compromised, truely fixing it can be a real bugger (nearly hopeless unless you're a real good sheet metal & welder type person).

• CMS Author

I strongly suggest you get thee to a body shop. At least get a professional opinion of what should be done to do it right (it might need a bit of frame work on the A pillar) and a price for that, to compare with struggling to do it yourself.

If this was a bolted hinge door I'd say go for it, but welded hinges are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Archived