Speaker Cab Protection? Any experience with this?

• Members

I have a couple of EV ELX112 (passive) speakers. I think they sound great and are a good speaker for the price. However...

I don't think they were designed with gigging/transporting/traveling in mind. The cabinet is plywood and other than the nub "feet" on the bottom they have no protection whatsover. They are easily scratched/dinged. I've got some ideas about adding some measure of protection on the wedge side. Any experience/advice with this is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance... :-)

• Members

I hadn't thought of that. I did a forum search on "truck liner" and duratex got a lot of positive feedback. These speakers are literally brand new. Does anyone with experience applying this think that I would need to sand them down before applying or could I just apply right on the to existing paint? The current paint has a faux bedliner, "black textured" finish but it is just paint I'm sure.

Thanks

• Members

After coating, I intend to screw on some kind of "bumper" to the wedge side and if I can find some kind of decent corner protection I'll add that as well. The EV paint is, well, just painted plywood. I totally get that this is where they reduced cost. I'm cool with it. Any reasonably inexpensive, decent DIY fix is ok by me. These speakers are not going to go on some kind of hardcore tour, They're part of my solo gig rig (mono front and monitor through a powered mixer). I got room for a few more players should that happen as well, but since I'll be moving/handling the gear I'm just looking to help my odds against the occassional inadvertant ding.

I'm waiting to hear back from EV if their paint is water based or solvent based, the young lady who answered my call was very pleasent and helpful but she did not know and is going to follow up from the factory. I'm pretty sure it's solvent/spray based, but I want to be sure. Acry-Tech said that their product is water based and should adhere to the "textured" surface if it's water based paint. If solvent/oil based, it would need to be sanded down. I don't expect them to have bullet-proof body armor, just to be able to deflect scratches/gouges better than the original paint over plywood. I already opened up the speaker to see where the inner hardware was attached so I can drill/screw on some feet/bumpers without fear of possibly hitting something inside. I'll also look into the previously posted suggestions as well. Heck, while I'm at it I might even prolly follow up with a results report. ;-)

Archived