Adventures of a new live venue engineer

• Members

You don't mix to the loudest signal, you mix to the relative vocal levels during the show. If a singer sings loud during sound check but backs off during the show, the mix will need to compensate for this with different levels.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Many singers cant belt it out either.

Most club singers do not have a clue on how to work a vocal mic from my experience.

I could get myself into trouble for that statement.

;)

Watch Aretha Franklin or Gladys Knight if you want to see "BELT it out"

• Members
Many singers cant belt it out either.

Most club singers do not have a clue on how to work a vocal mic from my experience.

I could get myself into trouble for that statement.

;)

Watch Aretha Franklin or Gladys Knight if you want to see "BELT it out"

Even with my limited experience, I can concur. Too far away and too quiet when singing in front of a loud band are the biggest offenders.

The band last night took every piece of advice I gave regarding stage volume. And it WORKED. They soundchecked with Sweet Emotion and it was way too loud. I had the guitar player turn his amp to the rear wall, the bass player turned down his amp, and the drummer played with softer hands. It actually lasted until the last set too. By then, things were getting out of control again, but now I simply had to push up the guitar, bass, and vocals to match the drum volume. Sweet. nice guys too, and very appreciative to have me there. We're one of two venues with a house system. The other does nothing but punk shows. So we're it for everything else. Local bands bring their own gear and mix from the stage at all the other venues.

Archived