Software Synths -- your opinions

Enigmatic

• Members

Hi, I have never used any software synths before, but I am actually in the process of purchasing a new synth.

Most of my friends have recommened Reason 2.5, which cost about $400.

On the other hand, I was planning on buying a used Korg or Roland under $1000.

Which one would you guys recommend.? I am a guitar player so i really dont know much about synths. Has anyone ever used Properllerhead's Reason? How would you compare that with pro synths.

please help me decide.

thanks.

• Members

Reason has some pretty decent synths. But it's also a sequencer, mixer, etc.

I'm still undecided on SW synths. I own NI FM7, Pro52, B4, Absynth, and Reason.

Pros- Relatively inexpensive, good to great sounds, portability. SW synths are available for most vintage synths.

Cons- UI. I like to move dials and sliders, not my mouse. Potential high CPU use and crashing.

• Members

Go with what's cheap till you have a better idea of what you want. Reason is a very capable program and you can do a lot with it.

Give the Digidesign MBox a look. You get a USB audio interface w/ 2 mic preamps and a pretty nice bundle of software which includes some kind of Digidesign version Reason. I think it's around $450. It's what I'm probably going to end up getting.

• Members

Originally posted by explody pup

Go with what's cheap till you have a better idea of what you want.

+1

If you have a computer that runs Windows or Mac OS 9 or earlier, consider a Nord Micromodular. Nova Musik is unloading them at $299 each.

For that price, it's a great little unit for learning synthesis because it comes with a nice graphical editor. The manual from what I've seen so far gives you a tutorial on synthesis. And there's a truckload of patches you can download for free from Clavia and from the Nord Modular user websites (there's a bunch of them).

And yes, you can process your guitar through it too. Hell it looks like a stompbox!

I think you would be hard-pressed to find something that can do more at that price.

-g

• Members

If you already have a real synth and just want to "play computer" for awhile, try an inexpensive softsynth. Frankly, I don't take them very seriously for various reasons.

There are so many good used synths and workstations out there. If you play live, check out that route first. :)

• Members

Reason is great software. Not really as a "synth", though. It's more of an excellent sketchpad for composing music, since it can do a little bit of everything: drum machine, synths, sampler, effects. As a pure synth, however, I don't think it is a good value for the money, because the two synths included, Subtractor and Maelstrom, aren't as good as stand-alone synths that cost less than Reason. As a sampler it scores a little better, because it actually comes with a better sample library than, say, Kontakt, but again the sample library is not the very best out there. I mostly use it as a drum machine anymore.

• Members

There are a couple of things to keep in mind with regard to soft synths.

They are tied to a specific generation of operating system. Softsynths are a relatively new phenomenon, so the OS generation thing is only just beginning. Right now you would have to boot into OS9 for the Nord Modular editor, and Rebirth, which is okay, but this will become more of a burden over time. Can you imagine having a studio which you have to reboot into three or four different outdated operating systems? You may even have to keep old computer hardware around, if you want to keep your old softsynths working in the long run.

Also, when you get bored with a hardware synth, you can always resell it. Most software licenses, however, are explicitly non-transferrable.

It is probably best to consider soft synths as more or less disposible, not as a long term investment.

-- Ronald.

• Members

Youll be able to do alot more with reason 2.5 than you would with a stand alone synth for 400. Youll also learn the ropes of mixing, sequencing and interconnections of synths and mixers which is such a valuable experience if you dont already know it.

By the time youve mastered reason, you'll be craving more exotic sounds from different hard and softsynths and by this time youll really know what you;ll be looking for before you start spending some serious cash.

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

There are a couple of things to keep in mind with regard to soft synths.

They are tied to a specific generation of operating system. Softsynths are a relatively new phenomenon, so the OS generation thing is only just beginning. Right now you would have to boot into OS9 for the Nord Modular editor, and Rebirth, which is okay, but this will become more of a burden over time. Can you imagine having a studio which you have to reboot into three or four different outdated operating systems? You may even have to keep old computer hardware around, if you want to keep your old softsynths working in the long run.

Also, when you get bored with a hardware synth, you can always resell it. Most software licenses, however, are explicitly non-transferrable.

It is probably best to consider soft synths as more or less disposible, not as a long term investment.

-- Ronald.

One of the reasons why my software is about 80% freeware.

• Members

What do you want? You say you want a synth but do you want to make your own music on the computer or do you just want to play with a synth? Reason is much more than just a synth, but the sound of the synths that comes with Reason rally sucks compared to say a Roland juno106 or even just a dedicatet softsynth like Pro53.

• Members

Hey guys,

thanks so much for all you help. From what I understand, Reason is a "can do all" sort of deal. But now I will also need a MIDI keyboard.

Right now I have a Yamaha DGX 76 keyboard. Can I use it as a MIDI keyboard to work with Reason.

Would I be able to record something while playing it live with my keyboard....or do I have to sequence everything using the mouse and keyboard.

Are the notes touch sensitive as it is in my yamaha synth. sorry for all the stupid questions :D

Once again thank you so much. they are selling reason for less than $350 at bhphoto.com. I think i might grab a copy.

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it. I might also look into Reaktor. I hear a lot of good things about it at HC. I also need a good drum programming software.

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

Right now you would have to boot into OS9 for the Nord Modular editor, and Rebirth, which is okay, but this will become more of a burden over time. Can you imagine having a studio which you have to reboot into three or four different outdated operating systems? You may even have to keep old computer hardware around, if you want to keep your old softsynths working in the long run.

-- Ronald.

Yes, I considered these issues before I ordered my Nord Micromodular. I guess I'm not so concerned because I also got a new Modular G2 too and I don't plan to use the Micromodular as a main synth. Instead I'm going to use it as a processor and occasional noise-maker.

It's a great way for Enigmatic to familiarize himself with a wide variety of synthesis techniques on a powerful hardware synth engine without spending a lot of cash. And this is a synth he can take to a gig without lugging a computer along.

But hey, it's his money....

• Members

Originally posted by explody pup

http://www.kvr-vst.com

:)

To start you out

Oh, and you can use your DXG 76 to controll these. You just have to get a midi interface, first. You can pick up a cheap one at the music store that can connect to your game-port on your computer.

Hey EP.....thanks a lot man. wow....so much free stuff.

But one slight problem....i just downloaded the piano (4Front Piano Module VSTi) from http://www.yohng.com/piano.html

All it seems to install was a 4FrontPianoModuleVSTi.dll file. How do i get it to work? where is the GUI interface as shown on the website.

Pardon my ignorance...but i am totally new to this world of softwares/synths. No wonder i chose the guitar :(

What else do i need to get get rolling with the piano. I use N-track as my recording software. In future I wish to purchase the Mbox. But for now is there any way i could get by using my keyboard and mouse and Ntrack to record piano?

appreciate your help man.

thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by AvS

Reason is much more than just a synth, but the sound of the synths that comes with Reason rally sucks compared to say a Roland juno106 or even just a dedicatet softsynth like Pro53.

Funny, I don't like the sound of a Roland Juno 106 but I like the sound of Reason's Malstrom and Subtractor synths. Comparing the Malstrom synth to a Juno 106 is not a great comparison. A better comparison would be the Malstrom against a wavetable synth like a Waldorf Microwave XT. I own and use Absynth and Reaktor Session in addition to the two synths in Reason, and I usually end up using Reason most of the time instead. Reason ReWired to Ableton Live is even better.

• Members

Originally posted by radiospace

Reason is great software. Not really as a "synth", though. It's more of an excellent sketchpad for composing music, since it can do a little bit of everything: drum machine, synths, sampler, effects. As a pure synth, however, I don't think it is a good value for the money, because the two synths included, Subtractor and Maelstrom, aren't as good as stand-alone synths that cost less than Reason. As a sampler it scores a little better, because it actually comes with a better sample library than, say, Kontakt, but again the sample library is not the very best out there. I mostly use it as a drum machine anymore.

Hey I am a bit lost here. What is a "synth" and what is a "sampler"? I thought all the tones of pro keyboards were sampled from the original instrument :confused:

• Members

the difference b/t a synth and a sampler is sometimes confusing... also the term 'rompler' gets thrown around too and this adds to the confusion

you are right, many keyboards just use samples of real instruments. but some keybaords use either analog components or digital signal processing (dsp) to create the timbres in realtime from simple waveforms like sawtooth, squarewave, sinewave, etc. and then apply filtering and modulation to those... this is called a 'subtractive' synthesizer, pretty much every analog or 'virtual analog' synth is this type...

a sampler, technically, will play snippets of audio that you load into it manually, and will also apply subtractive techniques (liek filers and modulators) to it as well.

a 'rompler' is basically like a sampler, except with a pre-programmed set of samples that you can't alter. this is what most keyboards today are. probably your yamaha is like this as well.

hope this helps

• Members

oh and btw... check out the free plugin "synth1" that you can find on kvr-vst. this is defintely one of my favorite 'virutal analog' synths out there and by downloading that plus the extra banks, you will be able to learn a lot about how synths work and have a lot of fun at it too.

• Members

I'll advertise Buzz again. :D

It is a free program that has a very primitive user interface (good for weak CPU's) but yet has lots of possibilities and is a complete virtual workstation in its own right.

Especially if you are new to synths, because it has examples of most synthesis forms in its "sound generator" section, a few drummachines and lots of effects.

Not totally "pro" because it is lacking in a few areas, yet a great starting point for a beginner IMO.

And it can host VSTi's, so you can experiment with those and it has a crude midi interface as well.

Spend an hour or two with the Tutorial song, and fight the boring interface and initially apparent lack of intuitive access to its features, and see for yourself :)

• Members

I use Fruity as my Vsti / DXi host as well. One of the things that I find with some soft synths is that they are sometimes lacking for effects versus a hardware board, but Fruity solves this for me. I can add effects a plenty with little noticeable strain on the CPU.

Among my favorites ( freeware ) are Synth 1, Crystal, and Superwave P-8. All are available at the KVR-VST link posted by Enigmatic.

AJ

Archived