does this EvilBay auction sound fishy to you?

Jeebus

• Members

Originally posted by AJP

Saturated market? I dunno....

Personally, I'd never buy from a zero-feedback seller, especially outside of the U.S.

Since I DO live outside of the US, and very close to the seller, it's not as much of an issue for me. :rolleyes:

I sent him an email. The only way I'll bid is if I can meet him in person to pick it up and pay at the same time.

• Members

Everyone wants to avoid zero feedback sellers, and zero feedback bidders. How is anyone supposed to become a non zero feedback bidder or seller if no one will buy or sell with them?

Anyway, in this case, I'd point out his use of a stock photo rather than an actual photo of the item. Although, that's a toss up; if he were an experienced scammer, he'd find an amateur looking pic of a triton to make it believable. Maybe it's just an ebay noob who's getting really freaked right now because he didn't understand the concept of reserve price.

Of course, there's also the issue of the description, clearly cut and pasted from an ad somewhere. Available in 61 and 76 key versions? Which version are you selling, dimwit? Yeah, not a good situation.

I'd stay away, unless that much money is nothing to you.

• Members

I'm hoping he's a noob who doesn't understand the concept of reserve price, and if I meet him, I'll definitely be packing some heat. ;) So far though, all signs are pointing to an amateur scam.

• Members

I live about five miles from the seller....I'm tempted....If anyone in the forum 'wins' this..post back, I'm intrigued...this week I got a Korg SP100 piano for 375$ usd on Ebay, my best deal so far.

seratone

• Members

You have plenty of these guys from Canada/UK with 0 transactions, but I'm willing to bet most of the times they are the same person with multiple user names... What I do is search the completed auctions and contact the winning bidder to see how/if the transaction was completed... They would usually email stating the seller lied about the payment options given and insist you pay by western uinon... So if you're not in the area to physically pick up the item, I would definitely demand COD or Escrow... Forget about Paypal, money order, or personal check because these are not guranteed payment methods any more...

• Members

The 3 day auction time is a bit suspect too. You have to pay extra to list for a shorter period of time, and the bidding will almost definitely not go as high as could on a 5 or 7 day auction. I always figure they're trying to slide something by quick before they get caught with 3 day auctions.

• Members

I bid on it, using a sniper for 260 USD. Since I live in Toronto I didn't have much to lose. I went out for the afternoon and someone got it for 385!, still an mazing deal...

oh BTW, I founf a perfectly working but very beat up Korg CX3 organ for 625 Can, is this a deal? that's only 456 USD...

seratone

• Members

I didn't bid on it. There are too many things suspect, especially the 3 day auction time. He also didn't reply to my email. I'll be watching to see if this guy has his membership revoked after this deal.

OT: I never realized what a big Toronto population we have here at HC!

T-dot in the house.... ;)

• Members

Apparently he's not in Toronto at all , it gets weirder.....

Sir i am based in USA but for the moment i am in Italy (Mestre).My product is brand new in original box with all accesories.The shipping taxes are included in price in all country. I will wait your email if you are interested.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards

Gelu Salgado

• Members

when you mentioned italy, i've seen other stuff this guy has put on ebay recently from a studio and he did say he would be in italy - sounded a bit funny to me, but i'm a little distrustful of ebay in general.

• Members

Originally posted by seratone

Sir i am based in USA but for the moment i am in Italy (Mestre).My product is brand new in original box with all accesories.The shipping taxes are included in price in all country. I will wait your email if you are interested.

Regards

Gelu Salgado

Heh, I received the EXACT same email from him, and I didn't even bid, I just asked him a question. Exactly how does being based in the USA and living in Italy enable him to sell a Triton in SCARBOROUGH??

It's obviously a scam

• Members

Avoid zero feedback sellers ..

Eh .. well we all gotta start somewhere .. I'd say avoid them if they don't go the extra mile to make you feel safer .. like pictures that are real, not just grabbed off a website .. a willingness to send you their phone number ect .. Still .. I think a first time seller should start off a bit smaller.. Unless it's a divorce sale.. :p

• Members

That's why after spending thousands on Ebay aover the past three years

(all transactions I was satisfied with the results)... I finally got around to selling something.

started with something I didn't really care about giving away, an Alesis nano piano. When I posted it on the weekend , some of the features like 'buy it now' , and reserved price, weren't working properly. Perhaps that's what happeneed to 'our man in Italy'.

• Members

There is another way to go. My first ebay sale was a '68 goldtop which went for over $3000. I made sure the buyer knew escrow was fine, and promptly answered all queries. Deal went fine with good feedback.

• Members

Originally posted by seratone

Regards

Gelu Salgado

Yep, scam.

I almost fell for a MV-8000 this way. Person ended up being overseas, I asked if they would do a deal through escrow if I covered the extra expense. They said no. I insisted. I also never heard from them again. Sigh...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Holy %^$^%$#!

I just bid on an auction for a "new" P250 that looked just like this.

No reserve, new seller, only cashiers checks and money orders, description pulled off Yamaha's site. Even the seller name was vaguely similar. Thankfully I didn't win the auction. Just emailed Ebay security about it.

Archived