To Copy Or Not To Copy?? That Is The Question!

• Members
Originally posted by Analog Kid

OK.. i just uninstalled Kontakt so i wouldnt have to feel guilty
:(
now im only cheating on one app, but if anyone can recommend something for free that will convert mp3's to wav and vice versa, i can delete wavlab

download the fruityloops demo - load a wave file in it and it will render it to mp3...

• Members

but chick listen to your heart dont do anything you dont want to do!

thanx ....ill remeber that....

didnt know that getting programs from kazza and stuff
was wrong before
but now i think i apreciate more the programs... than before..

becuase if i buy one i will really really try to master it...
becuase it cost me my hard earn money!

but theres always cumputer music free software
and theres always extra strenght aspirin....!!

• Members

Originally posted by blue halo

I would have to say that almost all musicians/studios who take themselves even the slightest bit seriously would agree that piracy is a wrong thing to do.

I applaud you, ck, for taking such a stance. Good on you, bud!

You know, that's funny... I was working with some studios in Nashville, and while they owned all the software they used, they were using the cracked versions because the copy protection schemes were too mundane to keep their studio running.

SoundDiver... needs to be re-authorized every 2-3 months.

NI's stuff can be flaky, and have to be re-authorized.

Dongle software is the cleanest, but most $200 software packages can't afford doing something along those lines.

Interesting dilemma, no?

• Members
Originally posted by explody pup

I've been weighing the benefits of going Linux for a while and the biggest problem I have is hardware support. Which is kind of conflicting with my desire to have a laptop setup. Can you go into detail what your Linux setup is? Do you use anything in particular for a control surface, primarily for mixing and transport control?

For setting up Linux for audio, the best idea is to follow all the instuctions of this great page :
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
I installed what I needed from this site, without any problem.

Do you have an additionnal sound card on your laptop (something USB, PCMCIA or IEEE1394) ? What problem do you have exactly (driver ? latency ? ...)
To see if your sound card is supported, there is a list on this page : www.alsa-project.org

My sound card is a RME Hammerfall. I also use a Novation Remote 25 control surface (plugged to the computer in the MIDI input of the RME).

The softwares I use for digital audio are Pure Data (realtime programmation), Ardour (multitrack) and Scilab (non-realtime programmation).

When I don't run any audio program, the audio latency of the system (computer + operating system) is 2.9 ms. When I run Pure Data, for example, it's about 5-8 ms.

• Members

Originally posted by TheProteus

You know, that's funny... I was working with some studios in Nashville, and while they owned all the software they used, they were using the cracked versions because the copy protection schemes were too mundane to keep their studio running.

SoundDiver... needs to be re-authorized every 2-3 months.

NI's stuff can be flaky, and have to be re-authorized.

Dongle software is the cleanest, but most $200 software packages can't afford doing something along those lines.

Interesting dilemma, no?

Yep, I've heard of that too... I don't personally really mind things like that, because they DID buy the software.. The dongle's gotta go though..

• Members

I think this applies to mp3 also. Just because you can get it for free, doesn't mean you should. I buy cds a bunch from bmgmusic.com, but hey, there are those that are not worth buying. It's complicated really, but those artist that I look up to, those cd's that are classics, those are the one that deserve to get my money.

Now software.. well it depends actually. Now software samplers, synthesizers I've come to really value it as hardware. Like for one the emulator X has the composer sounds that replace my proteus. Hopefully they sell the soundsets of other great emu modules, command station, keyboards. I use to download pirated stuff, but once I look at it a different way, that's when I realize I should just buy it. I sold my mpc 4k and use pro tools and also bought cubase sx, NI battery. I sold my hardware to replace with my other "hardware". Sold my K2600, looked at what sounds I liked from there, and just buy sample cd's and vsti's to replace it.

Well that's my story I guess..

• Members

Originally posted by manisedap

I think this applies to mp3 also. Just because you can get it for free, doesn't mean you should. I buy cds a bunch from bmgmusic.com, but hey, there are those that are not worth buying. It's complicated really, but those artist that I look up to, those cd's that are classics, those are the one that deserve to get my money.

I agree, but most of the time, artists, and even many producers, only earn a very small percentage on each sold CD. The ones who get the more money are the distributors (mostly Universal, Columbia, Polydor, Sony music and EMI/Virgin), I don't know if this is the right English word, but I mean the ones who buy to producers and who resell to dealers.

I think such "distributors" are quite useless, because they add very few additional value to the product (mostly putting "20 bit digitally remastered" or "+ Bonus Tracks" stickers on the CD cases). Most of the CDs I buy are from little shops where you can find ORIGINAL CDs for 5-10 euros. One other advantage of these dealers is they have lots of things (not only 500 examplaries of a same hit album that anyway you don't want to buy)

In what regards my own music, I would like to sell it from a music label website (10 euros per album + shipping). It will also be possible to download lots of music there for free, taken from the albums of the label and constantly changed, with copying, CD burning, using as samples or distributing recommended. The only contraint would be to quote the composer and the title of each track/excerpt.

I hope the ones who will listen the music of this "label" will respect the composers they downoaded.This resembles a bit to GPL license.

• Members

I have used warez/cracks in the past, but I dont anymore.

I think of it two ways -

1) My machines are ROCK solid stable right now. Part of that, at least, is due to the fact that all of my software is 100% legit. I do use some free softsynths and FX, but my main programs (Absynth, Reaktor, Logic, etc.) are registered.

2) As a musician who would, someday, like to be paid for what I do, I expect the people who make the tools that I use want to be paid as well. They'll continue to make great tools if I (and others) continue to help them by purchasing them.

YMMV.

• Members

Add me to the list of people who used to use illegal software, but who now don't.

I used warez when I was a teenager with no money, too much time, and not much of a clue as to what I wanted (in a piece of software).

Now I buy all my software because... I think it's worth it. Same reason I don't steal chocolate bars, or ride the train for free.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Winamp for MP3 > WAV (Write to disk-plugin - works with 2.9x and 5 > Preferences > Plug-Ins > Nullsoft Disk Writer)

RazorLAME + the LAME encoder for the most superior conversion you can think of; this beats the living snot out of pretty much everything else. If my webspace was up atm I'd upload it, it's only 600k and is even easy on hamster-level.

• Members

but you guys dont get picked on by other people
becuase you dont use warez stuff.

i dont know i m just getting all of this preasure ..from fellow
musicians.... i dont know why they wil not take a NO!!
for a answer

like i would die to have some killer sprograms
like logic and pro tools and etc... but...
will have to work at it..

Archived