Roland should make this......

Midiguy

• Members

A module that has no built in patches, only one that holds the expansion cards. Heck, I've got my jv-2080 almost maxed out with the cards because the sounds on those are so much better than the stock sounds. In fact, there are very few patches I ever use that aren't on one of the cards.

But they'll probably never do this. They just keep changing the card format so you really want the new cards, but force you to buy a full blown new synth to install them into.

Very clever marketing technique.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

They just keep changing the card format so you really want the new cards, but force you to buy a full blown new synth to install them into.

Huh? They've done this only once in the last ten years, and when people complained about not being able to use old cards in the new boxes, Roland came out with new cards that hold the samples from four old cards. You'd rather they never improve their technology? Are they supposed to just sit there and do nothing, just to make people who bought their gear five years ago feel like they still own the most current Roland technology?

Just asking...:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

Huh? They've done this only
once
in the last ten years, and when people complained about not being able to use old cards in the new boxes, Roland came out with new cards that hold the samples from four old cards. You'd rather they never improve their technology? Are they supposed to just sit there and do nothing, just to make people who bought their gear five years ago feel like they still own the most current Roland technology?

Just asking...
:confused:

Maybe this came off wrong. What I meant was, there are fantastic patches on the cards - both the SRJV and SRX cards, hundreds of patches for every category of sounds but in order to have those sounds, you have to buy a full blown synthesizer or module. Like I was saying, I don't use any of the stock patches of my JV-2080 which I paid $1600 brand new back in the 1990s - I only use it to play the SRJV cards. I was just trying to say it would be nice if there was a module for $500 that just held the expansion cards. I'd love to have some of the SRX cards, but am not willing to spend another $1500 on a device that will play them.

• Members

Maybe this came off wrong. What I meant was, there are fantastic patches on the cards - both the SRJV and SRX cards, hundreds of patches for every category of sounds but in order to have those sounds, you have to buy a full blown synthesizer or module. Like I was saying, I don't use any of the stock patches of my JV-2080 which I paid $1600 brand new back in the 1990s - I only use it to play the SRJV cards. I was just trying to say it would be nice if there was a module for $500 that just held the expansion cards. I'd love to have some of the SRX cards, but am not willing to spend another $1500 on a device that will play them.

I hear you there, that would be cool, almost like the Randall RM4 preamp chasis guitar head.

• Members

I was just trying to say it would be nice if there was a module for $500 that just held the expansion cards. I'd love to have some of the SRX cards, but am not willing to spend another $1500 on a device that will play them.

Ah, yes. I spoke with Roland about this a year or so ago and they said after performing exhaustive reasearch, it'd have to cost too much for people to be all that interested. Keep in mind the cards themselves contain only data

• Members

mnnnnnnn

my Roland S-xxx series blows away the Roland Fantom-S series in raw sound.

In polyphony, modulation, and of course, on board fx it falls behind.

fair balance for a machine that cost one tenth the price of its newer cousins

Rolands LDX series CDroms (i think thats what they're called) are superior to the card formats.

I also have a few Roland format CD's from third party programmers that wipe the floor with boring rom presets

how about laoding Distorted Reality into your patch list?

how about Analog Dreams, or some Miraslav ensembles?

now, i admit, legacy tech isnt for everyone, but i have a lot of fun with my little wunderkind

dj-70mkii.jpg

and my cd's (both Akai and Roland)

soon chickensys promises me they'll open up a slew of import options.... cool, well wait and see.

with some cheap scsi hardrives and half a dozen cables, very soon you have a few gigs of the best presets in synthdom at your fingertips.

oh, and dig that scratch wheel-it really makes you feel like a man.

Archived