My band breakup story... what's yours?

• Members

UPDATE

It's now official: our lead singer has quit. With three booked gigs left this month. Nice. :mad:

Oh, well. Cracks me up. The bass player leaves me an ominous-sounding voicemail this morning, not mentioning details. I call him back and get the lowdown. Our guy quit Tuesday. We had already been planning on replacing him. This Wednesday, the bass player and drummer had another lead singer over to audition (more or less). Yet, in spite of knowing our lead singer's noncommital schedule and going so far as to prepare replacements, these guys still act shocked and angry. Am I missing something? Yeah, it is a problem for the upcoming gigs, but our dummer has already been calling up the booking contacts to let them know we might not be able to make them (he did this unbeknownst to the rest of us, mind you).

Glad we're finally getting this thing over with, but man, why is everyone so surprised? Did I miss something? Am I the only one who saw this coming-nay, counted on it?

• Members

Originally posted by jigg

UPDATE

It's now official: our lead singer has quit. With three booked gigs left this month. Nice.
:mad:
Oh, well. Cracks me up. The bass player leaves me an ominous-sounding voicemail this morning, not mentioning details. I call him back and get the lowdown. Our guy quit Tuesday. We had already been planning on replacing him. This Wednesday, the bass player and drummer had another lead singer over to audition (more or less). Yet, in spite of knowing our lead singer's noncommital schedule and going so far as to prepare replacements, these guys still act shocked and angry. Am I missing something? Yeah, it is a problem for the upcoming gigs, but our dummer has already been calling up the booking contacts to let them know we might not be able to make them (he did this unbeknownst to the rest of us, mind you).

Glad we're finally getting this thing over with, but man, why is everyone so surprised? Did I miss something? Am I the
only
one who saw this coming-nay, counted on it?

That sucks man... But I think it's a good thing. I think you can find yourself a good singer... someone who wants to perform and 'gel' with the group. Might be a little energy toward that new direction.

• Members

UPDATE AGAIN

Our lead singer is an asshole. He's decided to fill out the upcoming gigs, but only on the condition that Mike (our bass player) is nowhere near the gig. So, we have to sub bass out because Henry's (our lead singer) a child. Not that Mike's behaving any better. He's booked with another band a couple blocks away, and has said that he'll show up to our gig ready to play with a different lead singer. And this all started because Mike criticised Henry for wearing Guiness sweatpants on-stage and Henry taking it waaaay too personally.

I served noticed today that I'm out after the next 3 gigs, which are our last scheduled (for the time being).

Are keyboardists the only mature, composed (get it?) musicians out there?

This is rediculous, I feel like I'm back in grade school.

• Members

I'm ressurecting this thread in hopes of getting some comfort/advice/legal council.

How do you play with the band you're leaving? I have two more rehearsals and three more gigs to ride out with this crew. I've not recieved any response to my resignation. I feel like things are going to be very akward for the next month. How the hell am I to cope with this steaming pile of bull{censored}?

• Members

Lets see now....

You can keep the gigs, and try and enjoy the resulting hilarity of 2 singers and 2 bass players slugging it out in public, which will make all of you look like complete idiots, or...

Call the venues, cancel the gigs saying the band just broke up,terribly sorry,etc. Believe me, these guys have heard this before and will get replacement bands in 5 seconds.

And then call up the children and tell them you quit, right now, this second,immediately, and umm, it's been a slice,doodz.

You really have no other choice here, your band just exploded.

• Members

I'm not emotionally involved in this thing enough to worry about what anyone else does. Honestly, I wish they would just cancel the gigs. The only reason I'm trying to stick it out is to show that at least one person in the band has a brain not located in the vicinity of his scrotum.

What I am worried about is my personal safety. I really don't want to be any where near ground zero with those two in the room together. I'd like my gear to stay in one piece.

WTF am I thinking staying with act? Oh, yeah: money... and something about integrity.

Kill me... before they do, inadvertently.

• Members

jigg -

I think you hit the nail on the head: "integrity" - sounds like you're the only in the outfit that has any... !? ha ha

If it's only a couple gigs - stick it out, if not for the $$ and the morbid curiousity to see if your guys will bash eachother's brains in. :eek::D

Though even if you stick around for the gigs, why waste time at a rehearsal? Like you said, your own personal safety may be at stake - limit your exposure. ;)

• Members

Yeah, I'm with Gigman. When a band is breaking up it's hard enough to hold things together at the jobs. At this point, what's the purpose of rehearsing? My advice is to just do what you've been doing and be done with it. Cancel practices and try to have fun going out with the original guys if you can, but this is going to involve some diplomacy. If you, the lead player and the drummer are in agreement, form an alliance and together talk to the front and bass player individually. Try to get them to put differences aside for...what is it?...three gigs. I've had to do this a couple of times and it worked, bu you've got to almost kiss ass...dunno if you want to go through it.

Archived