My band breakup story... what's yours?

• Members

Anyone who knows me would tell you first and foremost that I am grudgeless. I've never written anyone off in my life.

With all the recent threads about bands breaking up I decided to share my band breakup story and how I dealt with it. I've been down that road just recently and it is a hard thing to get over. Being in a tight band is like having a successful business or in a family. When it breaks apart you tend to feel the loss alot harder.

About a year ago, my band (which my HC moniker is named after) broke up after 5 years of continious gigging. It was mostly a cover band that attempted some originals.... but we spent alot of time together. 50-60 gigs a year. At least one rehearsal a week. It started like most bands do.... on a whim, in a basement and years later became one of the largest draws in the area. I still see people at the gas station, or in the mall, that say "Hey!.... I remember you..."Where's Grant?" . We haed some memebers leave a be replaced, but throughout those 5 years it was the 4 of us that remained at the core. Then as suddenly as it started... it ended, with our lead singer bailing with no notice.

Well I shouldn't say NO notice. It wasn't any surprise that he wasn't really happy. An average singer, and above average performer, he was a big reason why people stayed through all three sets. He was energetic, charismatic... a perfect frontman. But between sets was also a big reason why people would boycott us. He had a strong personality. He could be moody, selfish, jealous (anyone looking at his girl would prompt a fight). As leader of the band I would always have to sell an idea to him... or around him to get things done. After we recruited our new drummer the three orginal members (myself included, made a pact; if anyone wanted to leave all they had to do was give notice and fill out the next three gigs or until a replacement could be found). We had an excellent booking reputation (we never cancelled... not even when our bass player broke his leg) and it would give us 3 weeks to cancel or reschedule future gigs.

So imagine my surprise after one unsually, unhappy, tension filled gig when I got a call from him.... "I'm out.... . My initial feeling was shock, but then I composed myself and thought... well after 5 years, maybe we could use a break... take the summer off. We had played 48 weekends a year for 4 1/2 years and I was feeling a little burnt. I think everyone else was feeling it too.... same people, same clubs.

So I reminded him that we had immediate two gigs the following weekend and a third the weekend after that.... maybe we could all talk it over, and finish those, cancel the summer and do a farewell show and leave with a bang!!! It would allow clubs to rebook a replacement, leave an open door for us and a way for our friends to say goodbye. When you have a group of regulars that support nearly every show, they invest something too. I felt we had a responsibility to them... to give them a way out too.

He said "No.... I can't do it.... I'm just not feeling it (a common phrase he used when things weren't going his way)" And that was that.

It was also the last day I had ever spoken to him again (until last month.) I told myself that I would give him a year... I am a forgiving person. However 5 years of building, booking and promoting a band I felt as a friend he definately owed me, the band and the people who supported us more just a phone call. All 5 years I had to work around his moods, negativity and apathy to make things happen. I did the bookings, I did the website... I arranged the covers that we did. It wasn't my choice... I just accepted the role in order to make the gigs flow.

SO when it was over, I just walked away. I put a goodbye discliamer up on the website, called the clubs and sent a brief email and that was that.. When people began to wonder what happened publicly I would say "All good things come to an end". If they pressed for an answer , privately I gave them his phone #and encouraged them to call him and ask "Why?"

From that date, I made a conscious decision to effectively write him out of my life for 365 days. And I stuck to it. Anyone who knows me would tell you first and foremost that I am grudgeless. I am outgoing, I have a large circle of friends, I'm pretty open minded and have a positive attitude. I've never written anyone off in my life. But I did what I felt I had to do to deal with the situation. I kept in contact with all my ex-bandmates except for him (they gave him the cold shoulder as well.) He called a few times... I never returned the call. He would talk to our ex bandmates and wonder aloud" if I was still mad". It didn't matter to me.... my decision was made. Then.... exactly 366 days to the date we broke up I called him.... I had some gear of his I had to return and wanted to see how he was doing. That was it... rift was over.

We even got together for lunch a few weeks ago and it was like old times. In fact, we even joked about getting back together about doing a one off reunion show ala VH1... I would consider it... it would be the "Goodbye Show" that never was. (it would only be one... I've moved on to another band) More people ask me now... a year later about the band, than when we were gigging... we would pack a club.

But would I get together and do it on a regular basis... nope I don't think I could do that... because even though I've never I've never held a grudge in my life.... I'm still holding on to this one. Maybe I'm just holding onto this one, to make up for all the others that I didn't.... OR maybe I'm just not that grudgeless after all. Or maybe I'm just not 'feeling it!'

;)

Whew!!! That was long. Now what is your band breakup story? I know there are alot out there. Spill yer guts and tell us the sad stories. We can all have a group hug afterward. :D

• Members

80s. We were half galm, half hard rock. Right at the end of the hair rock days.

I quit my job to go on tour. We had CDs, a bus, & everything else. Even a new born at home.

Well, we get to Tuscon, play Tuscon Gardens, and the band leader says he's out of money. Our world tour lasted 3 days.

Needless to say, I went back to 8-5 shortly thereafter.

Recently, I joined a bar band for fun. However, 1 practice a week turned into two, then 3. I was really pressured to learn all the new material, and staying out past midnight 3 times a week, loading & hauling gear, and driving 45 miles one way just aint as easy asa it was when was 18.....

I think I'll just stick to my home studio.

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

80s. We were half galm, half hard rock. Right at the end of the hair rock days.

I quit my job to go on tour. We had CDs, a bus, & everything else. Even a new born at home.

Awesome... well not at the time. Did you play keyboards in that band? Wondering what your setup was at the time?

• Members

hey wheresgrant, i haven't been in any bands so no breakup stories for me.. i could tell you about some nasty gf breakups but that's i don't want to bother you with that OT bull{censored} :D

anyway, i just wanted to tell you that's it's not bad to write people off/hold a grudge, if you have a good reason. i have been together with a large group of friends since i was 14 and some have faded away and some have joined, but there were 2 guys that just acted "unfriendly" one time too many and they got banned (me and a couple of friends didn't want anything to do with them anymore and subsequently they disappeared from the whole group). you can't keep being {censored}ed over forever and there can come a point where it's better to say goodbye to some people. even if you've known them for a long time and they still feel like friends in some way.

anyway, just wanted to say you did the right thing!

• Members

I used to hate it when a bandmate wouldn't give two weeks. The usual reason with my bands wasn't burnout or tension, but a big money gig that they needed to snag right away or it would go to someone else. So it was kind of understandable, but still...panic time!!!

I was involved in several painful breakups as well. All the usual reasons...burnout, alcohol/drugs, personality and music conflicts. In all cases, though, we'd grit our teeth and finish the bookings. These days I don't lock myself up in any one area...I do a lot of solo work and play as needed with others...according to the requirements of whatever room I'm in. I get asked to play keys with a couple of all guitar bands when they need keyboards too. It's all a lot easier...but it's just playing bars...nothing major...

• Members

Recently, I joined a bar band for fun. However, 1 practice a week turned into two, then 3. I was really pressured to learn all the new material, and staying out past midnight 3 times a week, loading & hauling gear, and driving 45 miles one way just aint as easy asa it was when was 18.....

I think I'll just stick to my home studio.

Yeah, whenever I get the itch to get out there again, I start remembering the rehearsal grind if you want the band to actually be any good, and I lose interest.

There were some civilized bustups, some ugly ones, and the feeling of walking into a rehearsal room and realizing that everyone hates everyone else's guts.And saying,"I just cant {censored}ing deal with this anymore."

But, it's tough cleaning out the rehearsal area for the last time, especially if the band, all personal/money/etc. bull{censored} aside, was really {censored}ing good. You get memories of those amazing nights when you sounded like the best band on earth, some great gigs, the laughs, and you wonder...

What could have been if everything had worked out and we could have kept it together? That was the hardest part with a few of the really musically good ones, the "what ifs ?". And we'll never know.

And that weird, empty feeling the next day and your friends saying,"but you guys were so GOOD!" and all that.

Musically yes, but as flawed people living in a crazy world, well that's always the tough part, isnt it?

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Cheers.

• Members

I founded the band with my drummer three years ago, went through a guitarist and a bassist before getting our final bassist a year and a half ago, and our final guitarist at the end of last summer with only three real songs down, then we took the name "Solinvictus".

With the new guitarist the band chemistry was always tense, especially between myself and him because we were the two strongest willed people in the band. I've only been singing for about a year (we originally intended to be a cover band with me on keyboards when I got together with the drummer) so although I know I'm really {censored}ing good and have been told that every time I sing in front of people, I don't have an ego issue about it...notice I've never said I'm good at singing before today, maybe in one thread...

Anyway the extent of my ego was what I told myself in my head at gigs while I was singing so I'd actually have the courage to do it. It's hard to get up and sing, even if your good, when you're so new to singing and gigging at the same time. By this time I was dedicated lead singer, but not band leader. We viewed the band as a pyramid...four separate corners built on one foundation (the chords and rhythm...song structure basically) leading to a peak at the top, the final result. What each member did outside the basic chords structure and rhythm was mostly their own business. One in a while there'd be input when something really didn't fit, but it was rare than anyone ever insisted or pushed anything. It was rarely needed. But we always did things together, everyone is does it or nobody does it. If one member was genuinely against a gig, we didn't do it.

Anyway, we gigged and got recordings both live and basement, although never mustered cash for a studio being full time high school students as well as practicing from 5:00pm to normally 10:00 or 11:00 every Tuesday and Thursday. There were tensions but that's natural with such a heavy schedule. By the beginning of this summer we'd made a decent name for ourselves in certain circles and at certain places, which is remarkable for a high school band, especially when we'd only been serious for a year and our repertoire was around 25 originals and two covers :eek:. We'd also managed to get on board with a reasonably known local band of thirty-year-olds (originals and covers) called "Delusional Destiny" opening for them as well as planning on getting a press kit, extra promo, recording sessions, etc at a discount from them. It was pretty sweet and they were our gig hookup. They loved us and were planning on taking us with them to a show they had in NYC in late July.

Then as summer was starting they broke up suddenly leaving us out to dry gig wise, but fortunately we'd managed to get booked at the opening band for "Switchfoot" (a major national act, put on a Top 40 station and you'll hear them in no time) for a special show outside their actual tour, so we weren't part of their tour but it was still really {censored}ing big, especially for a high school original band to get. Especially after a year. So we weren't too concerned about not having gigs since we had that, then a small graduation party to play at the next day. We figured a gig that big was good promo anyway. How can you not play a bar when you opened for Switchfoot...

Shortly before the late June Switchfoot gig however, the drummer decides he's going to Las Vegas for the week leading up to it. None of us were pleased to be losing rehearsal time like that right before a huge show but there was nothing we could do except deal. That pissed me and the guitarist off, but the bassist didn't care because lately he'd been putting everything he could find before the band. He'd puss out on practices for anything: his car, his girl, his job even though we all worked jobs around practices.

But about a week before the Switchfoot gig we get totally {censored}ed over by the promoter (I never spoke to that guy again until recently, when I found out that after he {censored}ed us over, he got {censored}ed over by the Switchfoot agent and they never came :D) so that was a real kick in the balls to our morale, especially when we had practically nothing lined up gig wise. It's hard to get yourself motivated for two long practices a week when you aren't looking at any gigs, and it's hard to be starting from square one again when you were looking at opening for Switchfoot as a given. So it was hard but we wanted to keep going.

The drummer and I partied hard that Saturday morning since their was no Switchfoot gig, then we tried to get in a rehearsal that night for the party gig the next day. I was totally into and practicing harder than ever it as was the guitarist, but I could tell the other two weren't really there after the first couples songs. The drummer was jetlagged and partied out and was complaining that he wanted to do more "pump-up" stuff like AC/DC and was totally dissatisfied with the setlists which were primarily centered around my vocal abilities. I can't follow up a song where I scream like "Keep On Rocking In the Free World" (which we covered), to a song that's more like "Crystal Ship" by the Doors. I'm not a picky lead singer...I'd like to see anyone do that well! So he didn't like the fact that most of our really intense stuff was mainly in the last set. Mainly. I mean we had stuff scattered around but most of the hardest stuff was at the end so I wouldn't trash my throat early on, I don't think it's that unreasonable. As for the pump-up bull{censored}, we've never been about that and we'd never been anything like AC/DC in sound or in attitude. Being serious and artistic and having a strong message and having musical dynamics mattered to me and the guitarist, and it used to matter to the bassist. We thought it mattered to the drummer. We'd started with a sound like the Doors, then sounded like a mix between that and Pearl Jam, then our later stuff was just totally mind blowing. Real {censored}ing original {censored}. Bottom line: we'd never been about pumping up or AC/DC. And if that's what he'd wanted to do, he should've been giving more input while we were writing songs as far as I'm concerned, not complaining out of the blue about the way our entire repertoire was at the practice before the night before a gig. So when he said that it pretty much bothered me more than the Switchfoot thing. Then the bassist was like "I've been practicing at home a lot so I think I've got it, I'm going to head out..." and left before we ran through all our stuff.

The next day sure enough the gig was our worst ever. the bassist kept messing up, the drummer was pissed off, and the guitarist was being bitchy and upset about the whole situation instead of just getting into the show. About halfway through I started giving up too. We ended before our third set at the request of the people doing the party (that had never happened). I was humiliated and felt down by the rest of the band, even though they were definately humiliated too. Myself and the drummer were sick of it and wanted to split since we only had a month left before I had to leave for Florida anyway, but the guitarist was more hopeful (as I later found out only because he wanted us to play his {censored}ing graduation party) but went along with the decision to break up anyway. At the time it seemed like the bassist was to blame but within a week I realized it was just as much, if not more, the drummer. It sucks but that's what happened to us. It sucks even more because we all would've put off college at least a year if it looked like we were going anywhere serious by August, and at the rate we were moving for a while it looked like we would. Then we were faced with the collapse of the Switchfoot thing, no gigs, and treason from within.

We were amazing at our peak though. Everyone knew we were by far the best high school band, and older guys respected our sound enough to genuinely want us playing with them as much as possible and all the kids either looked up to us or were jealous. There's a strange stigma with being in a successful band in high school. But fortunately none of us ever really let it get to our heads and we actually were quiet about it unless people asked. We were about the music, not the image.

I'm looking forward a lot to a fresh start in Florida...Albany was basically the story of me getting {censored}ed over then {censored} on from the inside :(

• Members

Originally posted by Puta

so what is it with musicians that they can't keep a professional relationship going as opposed to other people?

It's because if they're true musicians and artists, their music is a reflection and representation of themselves. Any time you have guys (especially guys actually) in close-quarters for long periods of time on a regular basis and they're doing something that is very important and very personal to them all on a very very deep level, it's easy for the smallest disagreement or comment to get really personal and serious really fast.

If you were in traffic and someone said you were driving like an ass or an idiot, you'd probably write it off. Who gives a {censored}, right? What if someone says your music stinks of ass and you're an idiot for doing it the way you do...get my point? :)

Music is a musician's life...

• Members

I posted this in the "unmaking the band thread. In case you haven't seen this. Well, here it is:

About 8 years ago, I and a few other musicians formed a 70's/80's soul/funk group named Unknown Funk. The lead singer was about as charismatic as a lead singer can get. We had 2 guitarists, an OK bassist, a pair of backup singers and one killer drummer. We were playing the usual club gigs and garnered quite a following in the Rochester scene. We were a funk band with a twist... we were like a party. The lead singer had one hell of a voice and a strong connection with the audience. The band wore costumes and each member had a nickname. But there was one thing that separated us from your typical soul/funk band. We would do a "Parliament/Funkadelic" set each gig when we would change into our costumes and the crowd would go nuts. The band would start off the set with "Cosmic Slop" and introduce the lead singer. He would come out, dressed in his George Clinton outfit, complete with colored feathers. There was one gig when our rhythm guitarist came out in a big diaper(just like a typical Parliament/Funkadelic show) We had the whole package. The lead guitarist was responsible for marketing the band, and he marketed the band very well. Email, mailing list, promo pkgs, T-shirts, flashlights. We used to pack clubs. But, just when the band was at its peak, attitudes started to flare up, with a lot of inside spats betw the drummer, one of the backup singers, and the lead singer. The drummer ended up quitting to back up a country artist(I think he had mentioned Kenny Rogers). The lead singer was "voted out" of the band and the lead guitarist took over as frontman, not a great idea. Don't get me wrong, he is a great guitar player, an OK lead singer, and a fantastic marketing person, but he is NO funk frontman. The crowds fell by the wayside and, eventually so did the gigs. We saw it coming.

I guess it was all the in-fighting, resentment and jealousy(IMO) that ultimately tore the band apart.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

Any time you have guys (especially guys actually) in close-quarters for long periods of time on a regular basis and they're doing something that is very important and very personal to them all on a very very deep level, it's easy for the smallest disagreement or comment to get really personal and serious really fast.

If you were in traffic and someone said you were driving like an ass or an idiot, you'd probably write it off. Who gives a {censored}, right? What if someone says your music stinks of ass and you're an idiot for doing it the way you do...get my point?
:)

Music is a musician's life...

Well put. And in a lot of cases, there is the constant " no money" thing hanging over your heads when you're not gigging. Money, or lack thereof, causes tremendous problems. You take all the petty things everyone bitches about, and magnify them by guys having to be stalling their landlords and getting all stressed out over it.

I was in this rather arty( ie delusions of grandeur) band that had a huge lighting and sound rig that cost us a fortune every time we went out.We had deluded ourselves into thinking we really needed all that {censored}, plus 3 roadies to run it.The sound man was especially incompetant, and when we got to hear live recordings of gigs, we coudnt believe how awful it must have been for anyone getting pummelled by our massive but ill-used PA system.

But, we got gigs based on our huge outlay of gear, we heard our agent on the phone telling club owners about our "spectacular light show and presentation".I realized then that we were slaves to it, and unless we somehow managed to buy all this stuff instead of renting, we would always be broke, while the co. we rented all the {censored} from made out like bandits.

The best band I was ever in from a $$$ standpoint was a 3 piece,no roadies,absolute minimal lights.We actually got to keep most of what we made and life was good.

Thing is, being in a band is like being married to 2,3 or 4 people.And I think some of you know how tough it is to be married ( or equivalent) to just one.

And music seems to bring out some weird aspects in people's personalities, plus everyone's really young and impressionable.It's a volatile mix .

• Members

one band broke up because our bassist got arrested (with most of the rest of the band and some friends) in mexico (nuevo laredo)and it turned out his status as a US citizen was iffy.

a couple of others broke up because i used to have problems, and was a dick a lot of the time.

most of the rest broke up because we wanted, ultimately, to do different things and were just trying to make everyone else fit as closely to our respective goals as we could.

The reality of all the bands and so forth that i have been in over the years (what i take away anyways), is this:

It is way {censored}ing harder to find a bunch of guys/girls who are REALLY AND TRULY wanting to go in the same direction, in the same car, with you, down that road.

you could spend your whole life trying and not really hitting on the right combo of people.

• Members

It's all about compromise, brothers (and sisters) - just like a marriage, as the_resonator pointed out!

You eventually have to deal with the fact that playing in a band will lead to some compromises. The trick is to find the band that forces you to compromise the least or in areas that are inconsequential to you.

Or, get your playing/singing/performing chops up to a level where you can freelance with various bands/acts - which is what I've done. I sometimes miss the camaraderie that comes with alwyas playing with the same band (which I too have experienced over the years) - but definitely do NOT miss all the bullsh*t, which is clearly a part of any band situation, as we witness just from the few posts on this thread... :eek:

The other benefit of bangin' your chops to a new level is that you then have the confidence to play as a Solo or Duo act. And with a Solo or Duo act, you often have many more possible gig opportunities than you do with a full band - as The Pro pointed out. Although it means you have to really more on techology - drum machine, sequencer, accompaniment, etc... - which does take a little of the "zing" out of it (at least for me it does), as compared to playing with other live human people!

Years ago when I first decided to try a Solo act, I was scared sh*tless! Nowadays, it's not a big deal. I just get a wee bit of the nervous tension/energy that is healthy before most gigs - Solo, Duo or Band - but that adrenalin rush that kicks in when you know you're cookin' and the crowd is digging it for the most part. That's the fun part!

:D

• Members

nice thread.

My band was founded by the bass player and guitarist from my university's bigband. They asked me, which surprised me since they were experienced band players, and I had only just started to know the principle of 'chords' [useful in a bigband as well :) ].

Anyway, after some 2 years we were THE student band in our region and outside, playing in various cities in Holland, 60 gigs a year. We had an excellent team of a relaxed, technical guitarist, ultrarelaxed bassplayer, ambitious and superb playing drummer, fun trumpettist, idiot/showmaster (baritone)sax player, 'personality' leadsinger and quality (but tad shy) female leadsinger. And me, the non-strings-playing-keyboardist.

Things started to go wrong when we discussed the topic 'weddings'. half of the band did not want to do those because we already had loads of fun student gigs, and could play the songs WE wanted, half of them saw 'the future' in those wedding parties, and were willing to do sacrifices, playlist-wise.

And, the drums player got so ambitious, discussions got tougher and tougher. And then he got together with our singer.... Suddenly they formed a 'block' in the previously hard but fair discussions.

Anyway, 3 bandmembers, including me, were going to leave because our studies were finished or we were moving elsewhere for a practical assignment. The others wanted to continue, but we wanted to end the original group with a blast and set off with two (uninsured!) vans to South France and played at various campings. Loads and loads of fun, without doubt the coolest holiday I had.

The last camping, the last concert. Everything ran smoothly. But then, afterwards I cut the rope with which we hung our glorious backdrop (really beautiful!) between two palm trees. The, always criticising, drummer said something like "what a waste of rope" and, I do not remember who started, but a big fight begun, and everybody started shouting: drummer+singer on one side, all the others on the other side. The ride back to Holland was a nightmare....we even hid the band backdrop in the van so the drummer and singer would not find it. Back in Holland we shouted some more and left. Now, after 3 years, I have some contact again with the drummer, and we are planning to meet again, maybe even play some stuff, before the rope, we never had big problems and got along pretty well. Still, it feels strange, and I am a bit angry at the fact that he let the situation get out of hand in the holiday. That was unnecesary.

being a good team is essential. Fitting together. Doing compromises. With my new band things are going really slow, and now, that frustrates me much. But we'll see how things develop.

• Members

Originally posted by Puta

multitrack and potatoe, thanx for the interesting explanation!

No sweat.

Another thing you have noticed in this thread is the bitterness that causes people to not speak to former bandmates for years afterwards, or never again.

It's not necessarily that we're a bunch of dicks. The depth of hatred you can feel for people that destroyed something you invested so much of yourself in

is hard to explain sometimes.Without sounding like a mental case.

I have one of those ,too. I will never,ever speak to this egomaniacal ,petty,mind{censored}ing ,manipulative asshole again. It's been a loooong time, but hell hasnt frozen over yet.

• Members

I've been on great terms with everyone since the band broke up anyways. It makes no sense to hold it against someone that their priorities are different...it's not like they were trying to be dicks they just thought differently than I did. I've never been one to really get pissed at people anyway, more frustrated and angry at situations. Yeah I wish I could've done something earlier to build a band on people that were more dedicated and into what me and the guitarist (and bassist before he got distracted) were doing, but I realize we never would've been what we were unless it was exactly the way it way...and it was simply meant to end like that. All energy flows at the whims of the great magnet :)

There aren't enough competent, serious, artistic drummers or bassists around anyway to replace them with. Where I live is a town of suburbs for the most part...which means people aren't oriented on art, they're oriented on money and a "successful" future, so it's hard to find true musicians. I knew maybe ten drummers, and five bassists in all my time here that were in high school, out of that I'd say half were actually competent enough to be worth having around. Then maybe a half of that would be serious. Then out of that pool a tenth are actual artists. Now take into consideration the fact that most people want to do their own kind of music and we were doing a weirder kind that not many people are into, so with the ten drummers I knew you get a very small fraction of a person.

You get my point even if it's rambling a bit...I was lucky to be with the people I was with period, we were the best possible setup under the circumstances and I'm glad what we did when we did and I'm proud of what we were. Too bad we just got shafted big time by the universe enough to ruin it. Albany isn't the best town for rock bands anyway...the gigs are stale and lame and the kids don't want to come out to see it.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

I've been on great terms with everyone since the band broke up anyways.

For the most part actually. I hang out with the bassist just about every day, probably my best guy friend. Cruising around in an el camino looking suspicious just to bug the local cops :D I'm going to hang out with him and the guitarist tonight (hanging out with everyone I can get together before I go). The three of us jam all the time, it's nice to be back in a less focused musical situation...really lets out the true random and abstract nature of our music out. The only problem with it is I can't jam sing off the top of my head well, so I always jam on guitar (which I love doing more than jam singing anyway).

The drummer I was good friends with for years but lately he's been changing, mainly since the band broke up. Now that he's doing other things and hanging out more and his circle of friends he's sees regularly is slightly different, he's become something of a dick. As a band we were all in as a team, he became a selfish pig{censored}ing bastard of a greedhead. I was still hanging out with him until this past week. I set up a trip to Montreal and he said he could do it because he wasn't going on vacation with him family to Cape Cod that week. It was going to be five us splitting a $350 hotel bill. Two days ahead of time he bails and stiffs me with the bill claiming I knew he was going to the Cape, although everything he told me was the exact opposite. He refuses to pay his share. With only a week since that trip before I leave I don't have the time to work extra to make up the money, otherwise I couldn't care.

My last week in New York I wanted to hang out with people as much as possible, getting coffee and dinner here and there, going places. Because of him this last week has sucked and I really haven't seen anyone but the bassist because I just couldn't afford it. I mean, I see it like it's an airline ticket...it doesn't mean {censored} if you don't get on the plane, that's a seat that someone else could've filled and paid for, you still pay. If he'd told me even a week before he did I could've gotten someone else to go and it wouldn't be like this. I hate to let a great important friendship to go down the tubes over money, but it's the fact that he would even do it without caring that bothers me. Money often shows a person's true colors, as was said before...

I can barely afford cigarettes and gasoline now :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Awesome... well not at the time. Did you play keyboards in that band? Wondering what your setup was at the time?

Yup, timing was all off. I kept trying to lean them towards prog metal. That wouldn't have helped though, Grunge was on it's way.

I played keys and that gave us a little something over the competition.

I went through several boards, but I played at one time or another

Juno 60

Alpha Juno 1

Alpha Juno 2

DX-7

Korg Poly 6

D-10

And a Radio Shack copy of a Moog

• Members

Yup, timing was all off. I kept trying to lean them towards prog metal. That wouldn't have helped though, Grunge was on it's way.

I played keys and that gave us a little something over the competition.

I went through several boards, but I played at one time or another

Juno 60

Alpha Juno 1

Alpha Juno 2

DX-7

Korg Poly 6

D-10

And a Radio Shack copy of a Moog

Yup... Pre-Dream Theater days. But today I bet you'd rule! Were you guys signed or did you release anything on independently?

Back then I was listening to Queensryche, Fates Warning, even DT (as early as 1990) and others in that 'group'

• Members

Everything was independant. Just CD sales at concerts & what not. We didn't get too big. Warmed up for Robin Trower once, and Kings-X another time. I seem to being 2 or 3 bands before Michael Angelo once. Played Madam Wongs, The Whiskey, Fenders (before it burned down) etc. Lots of local gigs too.

DT ?!?!? Did you say DTI ? One of my top 5 favs ! Didn't discover them until '92 myself. Pull me Under on the radio.....

Actually, I still remember a few songs. The bands been long disbanded. Hmmmm.......

Archived