looking for a rhodes-ish electric piano (that doesn't weigh a ton!)

teardrop

• Members

He said "excluding digital pianos". To me that means no Yamaha P anythings, no Roland RD anythings. Since the Electro is not classified as a digital piano, I guess that gets the nod (since I am an unbiased Electro owner :) )

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

rintin -

Is the P90 really that much
"darker"
sounding than the P120?

Also -

When you hook the P120 up to an amp - or pair of pwrd. speakers for that all-important, phase-less stereo sound...
;)
- does it disengage the onboard speakers?

I know many have posted how the P120's onboard speakers add realism, which is fine - but can they be disengaged as an option?

:confused:

1. The P90 lacks clarity, and that is what makes it sound so muddy.

2. When you plug the p120 into Powered monitors or an amp, the onboard speakers do not shut off automatically. They will stay on, even when plugged into powered monitors or an amp. You can shut them off manually if you wanted.

3. The P120's onboard speakers can be shut off if you want to do that.

Regards,

P120dUdE

• Members

Hey p120dude don't answer for me and I thought you left.

Gigman,

Yes, the P90 piano has less clarity and sounds a little duller and smaller than the P120. The P90 "GP 1" and "Variation" sound like a duller, less dynamic copies of the P250 "GP 1" and its "Mellow Piano" variation. The P120 sounds a little different than the P250 pianos, though they are based on the same samples.

Only the P250 has the string resonance. The P250 also has superior dynamics and greater clarity than the little P pianos (P120,P90,P60, etc)

The P90 piano sound does produce a smoother legato than the P120 piano. The P120 notes tend to sound slightly detached from each other, probably because they sampled the attack portion so loudly. The P90 piano notes roll into each other in a more connected legato manner. The notes integrate better. The problem is that the overall piano sound is not veryu inspiring.

• Members

Originally posted by rintincop

Hey p120dude don't answer for me and I thought you left.

Gigman,

Yes, the P90 piano has less clarity and sounds a little duller and smaller than the P120. The P90 "GP 1" and "Variation" sound like a duller, less dynamic copies of the P250 "GP 1" and its "Mellow Piano" variation. The P120 sounds a little different than the P250 pianos, though they are based on the same samples.

Only the P250 has the string resonance. The P250 also has superior dynamics and greater clarity than the little P pianos (P120,P90,P60, etc)

The P90 piano sound does produce a smoother legato than the P120 piano. The P120 notes tend to sound slightly detached from each other, probably because they sampled the attack portion so loudly. The P90 piano notes roll into each other in a more connected legato manner. The notes integrate better. The problem is that the overall piano sound is not veryu inspiring.

Right -

But since I don't want to haul around the behemoth P250, it seems that my choices are narrowed down to the Yam. P90 or 120, as far as an sonic (but highly portable) upgrade to what I've got now: Ensoniq KS-32 midi'ed to a Kurzweil MicroPiano module.

I'm having trouble understanding the whole "P90 is more connected + legato than the P120..." thing. I mean, I understand the concepts on the surface but would really have to hear both of those units side-by-side to appreciate. Have tried 'em side-by-side at Guitar Center before some months back but I guess I'm due for another taste test. :D

I like the extreme lightness of the P90 (37lbs.?) - which is really remarkable for an instrument with high quality (albeit a bit dark) sounds. Yet I am also drawn to the P120 'cause of the excellent Rhodes sounds - plus the built-in speakers are kind of an added bonus.

• Members

I've got a related question as well, what would be the best way to record a rhodes? Would you hook up the outputs directly to a preamp and into a recording device/mixer, or would you use a mic to capture the amp's output?

It's all about what sound you're after. The sound of a Rhodes can change DRASTICALLY from amp to amp. Most noteably is the amazing sound that you get playing a Rhodes through an older Roland Jazz Chorus.. that combo has it's own sound and is totally recognizeable. Many prefer the Fender Twins or Reverbs for Rhodes, but I honestly think that a Rhodes sounds best through the Roland JCs. It adds a metallic bite to die for.. almost sounds dynoed.

Anyway, I'm wandering.. My point was just that amplifiers can really be looked at as an extension of the instrument and almost an instrument in and of themselves. Plugging straight in is great for clean bell-ish applications, but to me, you just gain ALOT when you mic an amplified instrument because the mic pics up the air being pushed by the speakers and really adds a rich full dynamic and space to the sound. Not to mention you can really get nice overdriven accents when you amp a Rhodes and push it.

Remember that much of the sound, including thge 'barking' is INSIDE THE PIANO and has to do with the PIANO SETUP, NOT EFFECTS OR AMPS!

This is true, BUT you'd be hard pressed to achieve the kind of bark that you get with a Roland Jazz Chorus using a direct from harp setup. Amps can really accentuate the sound inside the piano, but as you said, it does boil down to how the piano itself is set up. I just don't think that amps can be underestimated in their contributions to the sound.

As far as the thread topic, I have yet to play a better sounding and more portable Rhodes clone than an Electro. Far and away the best out there from a hardware standpoint IMO.

One thing that I will say though... I find the Wurlitzer patches on the Motifs to be far better than the Electro. They have much more presence and a grittier realistic sound. The Rhodes aren't too shabby either. The Organ on the Motif however can't even hold a candle to the Electro.

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

I have seen very good comments/remarks posted by some of you here on KSS -about that + other GeneralMusic units.

I don't know if that brand is distributed here in the 'States though?
:eek::confused:

If it is, it's certainly not as widespread as your typical "Big 3" - Korg, Yamaha, Roland...
:p

Check this thread, Gigman - it's often visited by a representative of Generalmusic US...:)

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=010033

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

This is true, BUT you'd be hard pressed to achieve the kind of bark that you get with a Roland Jazz Chorus using a direct from harp setup. Amps can really accentuate the sound inside the piano, but as you said, it does boil down to how the piano itself is set up. I just don't think that amps can be underestimated in their contributions to the sound.

I suspect that a good setup would be Rhodes direct from harp -> EQ -> tube amp. This way, you can bypass the internal volume and EQ, just about any external EQ might do a better job. Having a tube in the signal chain does a lot for the tone, as does having a speaker that moves some air. We can learn a lot from our six-stringed friends about this kind of stuff, what amp to choose, what speaker element and so on. In my experience, recording synth bass blending the lined signal with one sent through a bass amp really helps the sound.

/J:cool: nas

• Members

I went all out and bought a Rhodes here recently.. and I love the thing to death.. and I've never played anything (except other Rhodes) that have sounded as good.. But now my setup is several hundred pounds.. with the Rhodes, Alesis QS8.1, Karma, MS-2000R, and a roland kc-500.. its a rediulous amount of stuff to carry around.. but it sounds so sweet..

• Members

Originally posted by drowse

I went all out and bought a Rhodes here recently.. and I love the thing to death.. and I've never played anything (except other Rhodes) that have sounded as good.. But now my setup is several hundred pounds.. with the Rhodes, Alesis QS8.1, Karma, MS-2000R, and a roland kc-500.. its a rediulous amount of stuff to carry around.. but it sounds so sweet..

:eek:

get a good chiropractor:)

Archived