looking for a rhodes-ish electric piano (that doesn't weigh a ton!)

teardrop

• Members

the only reason I don't own a Rhodes right now is probably because it is such a pain the ass to move around since its so damn heavy. I'm not too informed on the world of electric pianos but I love the sound, especially the Rhodes.

Now exluding digital pianos, are there any decent electric pianos out there that sound good and are say a bit more portable than a Rhodes?

• Members

if you can live without a sustain pedal, you could check out the Hohner Pianet (T), which is much lighter and is said to sound somewhere in between the Rhodes and Wurlitzer.

The Wurly EP200 might also be a good option: weighs less than the Rhodes and also sounds really gorgeous. the action is also better. Still not very light though....

• Members

a yamaha S90 will feed your desire for a rhodes...for a few months. It sounds great, has several good rhodes patches on it, feels really good to play (as opposed to the nord electro). The S80 has some great rhodes sounds as well.

and then after about 3-6 months you'll start yearning for the real thing again.

so cut out the middle man and buy a rhodes :D

• Members

Originally posted by b3keys

Nord Electro?

Nord Electro 2 has incredible Rhodes, organ and Wurlitzer sounds.

The keyboard, however, is kinda mushy - has waterfall keys, which are great for organ schmears, but not so great for piano-feel type keyboards such as the Rhodes or Wurlie.

• Members

See, I actually like the action on the Electro. Sure it's not piano like, but once you get used to it, you can rip scales alot faster than you can on a real Rhodes. Thats for damn sure. The action is definately best for Clavinet and Organ though, but either way.

• Members

Personally, I can't stand the action on any of the real Rhodes I've played. Maybe cause I'm just used to keyboards that feel completely different....but I wouldn't say don't get an Electro because it doesn't feel like a Rhodes. It is so playable that...uh.....who cares?

• Members

I'm not going to say a rhodes isn't one of the biggest pains in the ass to move, because I'd rather move an ampeg 8x10" cabinet b/f a rhodes. that said, this business of rock and roll is really not supposed to be good for your health. perhaps you could pop a few vitamins to get up yer strenf (that's hip hop for 'strength', you fools!) and haul it with a handtruck. or get a bandmate to move it with you. or get a stronger girlfriend. WWJGD? (what would jonny greenwood do?). but he has rhodies. bad example.

*not helping not caring*

/johnny

ps- for what it's worth- I actually think the roland jv1010 had a dynamite rhodes sound. oh- what an irritating little box though:mad:

• Members

Since one Rhodes does not feel like the other, and none of them feels like a grand piano - or a Wurly for that matter, the only important thing is that you find an action and sound that works for you. If it also comes in a lightweight package, all the better.

The Electro is actually an impossibility; currently, it has samples from Rhodes pianos, a Wurly (which is really light-weight), a Clav (on a real clav you can affect the sound after depressing the key), a Yamaha CP piano (which are ass-heavy to play), several acoustic pianos with different feeling actions and a Hammond. There

• Members

grmph the guy said 'excluding digital pianos'.......otherwise it's Nord Electro all-the-way for weight and sound. You get used to the keyboard and it is much, much better than most unweighted actions: it is very much unlike a normal synth action. But you'll have to try it out. The board sounds rad, is easy to understand, expandable....what more do you want? :D I case you really want a weighted action: you can always buy the rack version and buy a weighted controller such as the Fatar SL series

for recording a Rhodes, it depends. If you like the bit muddier Hancock 70s sound, you can best record it thru a Fender Twin. I prefer a clearer sound because a Rhodes is already a pretty much fat and space-taking instrument. I play through an MXR 10 band eq, into a Behringer DI, into mix desk. That works best for me, gives a crystal clear sound. Remember that much of the sound, including thge 'barking' is INSIDE THE PIANO and has to do with the PIANO SETUP, NOT EFFECTS OR AMPS!

• Members

Originally posted by paulschwarz

I say the Roland RD-250s - EP 1 patch would be a great substitute. only 64 pounds

"Only" 64 lbs.?

Are you out of your friggin' mind? Add a hard case and you're over 80lbs man! :eek::mad:

Not gig-worthy in my book.

• Members

I can't judge, but I know at least two music shop owners that have/had a Rhodes, and since they are selling the General Music Promega 3, they don't sell Clavia Nord Electro anymore.

Obviously, the little Italian don't get the attention that it deserves.

• Members

Originally posted by fqr

I can't judge, but I know at least two music shop owners that have/had a Rhodes, and since they are selling the General Music Promega 3, they don't sell Clavia Nord Electro anymore.

Obviously, the little Italian don't get the attention that it deserves.

I have seen very good comments/remarks posted by some of you here on KSS -about that + other GeneralMusic units.

I don't know if that brand is distributed here in the 'States though? :eek::confused:

If it is, it's certainly not as widespread as your typical "Big 3" - Korg, Yamaha, Roland... :p

• Members

Originally posted by rintincop

Yamaha P120 with a padded gig bag

40 lbs

fully weighted 88 key piano action

Nord Electro

20 lbs

unweigthed 76 key organ action

rintin -

Is the P90 really that much "darker" sounding than the P120?

Also -

When you hook the P120 up to an amp - or pair of pwrd. speakers for that all-important, phase-less stereo sound... ;) - does it disengage the onboard speakers?

I know many have posted how the P120's onboard speakers add realism, which is fine - but can they be disengaged as an option?

:confused:

Archived