Let's settle "best piano in workstation" once and for all.

Midiguy

• Members

These threads are all about the same thing - Motif rocks and Fantom sucks, which of course is all subjective. Let's battle it out starting with the piano.

From those who are TRAINED PIANISTS- which do you prefer - the grand piano patches in the Motif ES, or the grand piano patches in Fantom X?

As a trained pianist and owner of a Yamaha grand piano and a Fantom X7, in my opinion the Fantom is extremely close to the sound and response of a Steinway grand piano. To me, the Motif ES sounds nothing like any specific piano and is not responsive enough. While it does not sound like any specific piano, you can tell its supposed to be a piano and not an electric piano, but that's about it. I think I read it was sampled from a Yamaha C7 sample, but really doesn't even come close to capturing a C7 IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

These threads are all about the same thing - Motif rocks and Fantom sucks, which of course is all subjective.

exactly

so how is this thread going to help settle anything?

All you've done is state your opinion...

which some people won't agree with...

which in turn will lead to them stating their opinion....

which other people won't agree with...

which other people won't agree with...which in turn will lead to them stating their opinion....

which other people won't agree with...which in turn will lead to them stating their opinion....

did I make my point ?:)

• Members

Motif ES, hands down has the best Piano in a workstation. The Acoustic Piano in the ES is a Yamaha CFIIIS Concert Grand, and it has great clarity, response, and smoothness for a Workstation. The Fantom X Acoustic Piano is good, but it lacks clarity, and it is not as smooth as the Motif ES. Plus, the Fantom is a Steinway, so it sounds and responds completly different than the Motif ES. But, I vote the Motif ES for best Acoustic Piano in a workstation.

P120Dude

• Members

I really like the SRX piano board for the Fantom. Better than any of the Gigastudio stuff IMO.

Not quite as detailed, and the sustain tapers off a bit too quickly, but it's the first piano I go for, simply because it seems to blend perfectly into my mixes. The stock Yamaha's pretty good too, but doesn't quite cut the mustard for what I'm looking for.

Noticably better than the stock Roland piano, tho'.

• Members

Some of us are actually interested in talking about pianos. Every serious thread anymore seems to get snipered by dUde comedians. Very annoying. You have your own thread, leave the serious ones alone.

I like the SRX-02 alot too. It mixes very well, and when played according to it's idiosyncricies, it can be very convincing. I've used Korg Triton Studio (not a real contender), S80 + PLG-PF, and my friend's P120. For me, the SRX definitely is the most versatile, and best sounding.

I want to to try Ksounds for my Triton though. Anyone else tried it?

• Members

Seriously, as much as it pains me to agree with the dUdE...

The Motif ES 8 sounds immaculate. The key action feels genuine. Korg's weighted action always feels muddy to me, and the sounds way too bright and crispy.

Roland's action is an extremely close second to the Yamaha on the new FantomXs.

So for the record...

The Motif and/or Fantom rock, the Triton sucks...

• Members

buzzbro, these threads are no longer serious when the tone becomes..........."this one's the bomb, and this one sucks, and that one this, and this one that"...........without subjective qualification, and a tight rein on the personal invectives, the thread itself becomse a parody, which invites snipering on any number of levels, the dUdE simply providing a convenient, ever ready target.

A good illustration of the massive subjectivity invoked by these discussions is jigg's comment about the action on the new Fantom X. It's an FP-4 action, same as on the Fantom S, the XV-88, the RD-700, any number of home and crossover digitals. A well-built consistent action. But you will here people describe the same action differently on different units, when it is identical. The subjectivity is invoked by the sound and other factors in the different models.

It is further illustration to me that, while it is good for the new and old among us to solicit each others opinions and advice, it is incumbent among us to deliver it in as unbiased a fashion as possible. It does the entire subject much greater service.

Archived