Game Music Appreciation Thread

Symbiotic

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

Yep. We haven't updated that site in years.

That's great! I had no idea you also did music for games. I swear I heard a Roland XP patch in one of those Dark Reign tracks... ;-)

Anyway, PM sent - I'd love to chat about this stuff if you're willing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a good thread ! :]

+ Dune I ( the space opera!)

+ Wing Commander I & II ( played with an genuine OPL3, even better when played with a rompler ^_^ )

+ Loom ( ok it's a cheat, this game was based on Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake )

Oldies but goodies...

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

:eek:
Wow, thanks! I didn't think anyone actually
played
that game, much less paid attention to the music.

Made my day.
:)

Edit: The music for Dark Reign 2's available
here
if anyone's morbidly curious. Be nice; that stuff was written nearly five years ago.

That music is absolutely good stuff! At last I found out, that I'm your big fan!! :)

• Members

Yuzo Koshiro is the greatest game music composer of all time. His soundtracks to throwaway games like Super Adventure Island and Streets of Rage as well as to relatively good games like Actraiser and Shenmue are absolutely brilliant. They blow away 99% of all commercial releases by the likes of Britney Spears, Fifty Cent, [insert latest chart-topper here].

Also, the Silent Hill 1 and 2 soundtracks by Akira Yamaoka stand with masterpieces by Aphex Twin and Biosphere as the best ambient albums I have ever heard.

These guys don't just deserve recognition, they deserve to be the highest paid producers/writers in the biz.

• Members

Originally posted by Joxer the Might

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
by Amon Tobin. I don't care for shooters, but the soundtrack is brutal.

I was quite dissapointed by that soundtrack actually. It's obviously done by a pro, but I didn't find a single track memorable.

• Members

Originally posted by silentheart

I was quite dissapointed by that soundtrack actually. It's obviously done by a pro, but I didn't find a single track memorable.

Did you just listen to the album/CD or did you actually play the game? Two very different experiences, IMHO...

• Members

Originally posted by 3DMC

Did you just listen to the album/CD or did you actually play the game? Two very different experiences, IMHO...

Just listen to the album? I would think that would be the better way to listen. Actually, I only played the game and did not listen to the album. Pretty good game, not great, but the music seemed like glorified generic game music to me.

• Members
Originally posted by pagan

That music is absolutely good stuff! At last I found out, that I'm your big fan!!

Thanks, pagan (seriously... made my week)! We just did a less-electronic music library called "Urban Underscores" for Blazed Out/ 5 Alarm that's kinda similar. I'll see if I can't get it posted somewhere. :)

• Members

Originally posted by silentheart

Just
listen to the album? I would think that would be the better way to listen. Actually, I only played the game and did not listen to the album. Pretty good game, not great, but the music seemed like glorified generic game music to me.

I guess I'd disagree. Given that the music was composed with the game in mind, rather than a completed, pre-arranged album, I found the in-game music to be far more interesting than the album. The permutative element of the music in-game was quite appealing to me and I really wish that more games had that level of audio-interactivity rather than what I'd consider a pre-rendered score...

Now I'm not saying that I think the soundtrack for the game was the best of the year, but I think it really does push the envelope for what is possible in game music today - from a technology standpoint anyway.

From a personal perspective, I find composers who work solely on game music are typically far better at what they do than when a big-shot producer/developer brings in a big Hollywood composer to write a sweeping score for a game....

Just my .02, being a game composer myself...

Archived