Active Monitors vs. Small PA for Home Studio

GigMan

• Members

Fwiw, I went through this decision at the beginning of the year. Tried out several monitors here at home and one really stood out - the M-Audio BX8. I tried Tannoys, I tried Wharfdales - nothing like the BX8. After a couple weeks I added the matching SBX subwoofer. Major goodness.

• Members

Often, higher end qaulity Pa speakers cost over $1,000 the pair. Same for studio grade speakers. Budget studio & powered monitor speakers generally cant compete sound wise. So is a matter of finding suitable, as close to high end, sound that you can afford. If theres any chance of gigging with the home studio rig. Then one needs one thats built well enough for that. This of course makes comprable qaulity ones more expensive. Pa & music instrument speakers also generally have greater sensiivity (db level at 1 watt 1 meter) then studio & powered monitor ones. Do you need the lower start volume of the one or the higher start volume of the other?

The JBL Eon 10's would be my choice out of those suggested. If you have a very good stereo power amp thats 50-100 watts allready though. For that around $1,200 you can get some mighty fine B&W, Phase Tech, or other high end speakers. I would not suggest more then 100 watt amp with such though. Sense solo instruments at 100 watts is more grueling on speakers then whole band music cd's. But the trade off if you dont need real loud volume, is audiophile grade sound.

• Members

GigMan > Yes, the shop wanted to replace them (Music Store in Germany, said to be the biggest shop across Europe). But actually, as I was in any case not pleased with the sound (lack of definition, too compact), I ask to be refund, what they did.

• Members

Darkstom > as regards my multi purpose amp, I'll definitely get a pair of active PA. And if I need more functionnalities, I'll buy a small mixer. But for some reasons, I may postpone their buyings.

My criterias are these :

1) The PA must also give its best at low levels since it's for playing at home

2) Consequenty, the PA must be built to work at low levels. I've read that low levels can be more harmful that high levels

3) The PA must handle bass sounds as well as highs

4) The PA must throw the sound quickly, I mean you don't have to be 5 meters away from it to get a decent sound

5) Of course, best sound possible

Maybe should I create a dedicated thread since when it's about PA, it's always considered in gigging situation, not in home-playing situation.

• Members

My humble opinion:

If you're looking to mix and such, then you probably should look at studio monitors.

However...

In my experience, studio monitors just won't cut it for rehearsal. They just don't get loud enough to make you "feel it". I've blown out JBLs, Events, Yamahas... If it wasn't for the built-in limiter on the Dynaudio Air20s, I would've blown them as well, seeking that "feel".

If it was me (and, well, it is!) I'd look at the B52 Matrix systems. They're nowhere near as small as the G2 10s. (Well, the satellite speakers are!) But they throw some sound like nobody's business! I actually intend on getting a set when I have the bucks. In the meantime, I've pumped all sorts of rubbish through 'em, and -except for a bit of mid-high harshness on the 1000s- they handle it well. The bass is worlds better (for playing, I mean) than studio monitors. One guy I know owns a mobile DJ company, and he has 5 of these systems. He droppec the subwoofer out of a truck onto the street, and it's still fine.

Take this with a grain of salt (like everything else), but see if you can find somebody with a system and give 'em a listen.

-Hoax

• Members

Hey Gigman,

What I've learned from years of trying to duplicate a nearfield monitor onstage...........there really isn't anything on the market that performs this "double duty" service with the same accuracy. If I could have the focussed precision of my Mackie HR824's onstage, I'd be very happy. The problem is.......they're not road worthy. The other problem is that any keyboard combo amp/PA set up is designed to be a far field (throw the sound out to the audience).

If you choose to invest into a decent pair of studio nearfields, you'll experience just how capable your keyboard/synth can really be. On the other hand..........you may really grow to dislike your onstage rig. :(

Good luck. :)

• Members

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

Hey Gigman,

What I've learned from years of trying to duplicate a nearfield monitor onstage...........there really isn't anything on the market that performs this "double duty" service with the same accuracy. If I could have the focussed precision of my Mackie HR824's onstage, I'd be very happy. The problem is.......they're not road worthy. The other problem is that any keyboard combo amp/PA set up is designed to be a far field (throw the sound out to the audience).

If you choose to invest into a decent pair of studio nearfields, you'll experience just how capable your keyboard/synth can really be. On the other hand..........you may really grow to dislike your onstage rig.
:(

Good luck.
:)

Hey Surreal -

Actually I gave up on this quest long ago since I didn't quite have the funds, would've gotten flack from the wife for buying more equipment and also have so little time to play/practice/record/write or ANYTHING at home... :D

You'll notice this thread was started (and ended) by me back in August of '04. It was recently bumped up by "Yoms," so it's really his quest that we've been discussing + debating in the last few days.

I am actually considering purchase of a Motion Sound KP100S for cocktail hours - which is a nice compact little stereo amp. If I buy that to use for gigs I may also just set it up at home as well.

:cool:

Archived