Who are your favorite producers.... then and now

wheresgrant3

• Members

This is something that I could easily post in the recording forum, but I think many synth players are 'producers' in our own right'.

I guess I could entitle this thread: Producers "you would love to hate but just can't". We all know about albums that are classic in the songwriting sense... I'd like to hear your opinions on albums you think are classic in terms of production and enginering. I'm sure all of us have a favorite producer or album that had a 'classic' sound.

For instance, (I know it's cheesy) but I have a great affinity for any album produced by Trevor Horn in the 80's, early 90's. Horn worked on Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Seal (self titled debut), a couple of Asia albums. Yes's 90125 blew me away. The sampling '90125' was so incredibly ahead of it's time and Tony Kay's keyboards are so crisp in the mix. The line is extensive blurred between progressive and 'pop'.

In any other conversation I'd say "I hate Bob Erzin". However he did for 'Pink Floyd' is what Horn did for 'Yes'. And although I can't stand any of Erzin's other stuff, I think Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is so singular, so seperate, ... so(to steal a quote from the Dude )"um,... superb" over the 'fluff' that guys like Mutt Lange, and Bruce Fairbain released. The production is so fluid, the keyboards so lush. I haven't listened this album in years and I just popped it in last night and I'm still blown away at the production values.... 17 years after it's release.

DJ Premier-trackmiester had his hands all over hip hop when he took the reigns of "Limp Bizkit's" Significant Other. Personally I don't like Limp Bizkit, but there is no denying that the entire album from beginning to end is one of the best hybrid sounds of hip and rock ever. "Significant Other' has a windfall of explosions, pickscrapes, dj scratches and synth samples. It's like one of those big salads you keep eating, and eating and you never seem to hit the boring great stuff.

Who are your favorite producers/albums, "you'd love to hate but can't" then and now?

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

This is something that I could easily post in the recording forum, but I think many synth players are 'producers' in our own right'.

I guess I could entitle this thread: Producers "you would love to hate but just can't". We all know about albums that are classic in the songwriting sense... I'd like to hear your opinions on albums you think are classic in terms of production and enginering. I'm sure all of us have a favorite producer or album that had a 'classic' sound.

For instance, (I know it's cheesy) but I have a great affinity for any album produced by Trevor Horn in the 80's, early 90's. Horn worked on Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Seal (self titled debut), a couple of Asia albums. Yes's
blew me away. The sampling '90125' was so incredibly ahead of it's time and Tony Kay's keyboards are nice and crisp in the mix. The line is extensive blurred between progressive and 'pop'.

In any other conversation I'd say "I hate Bob Erzin". However he did for 'Pink Floyd' what Horn did for 'Yes'. And although I can't stand Erzin's other stuff, I think Pink Floyd's "
A Momentary Lapse of Reason"
is so singular, so seperate from the 'fluff' that guys like Mutt Lange, and Bruce Fairbain released. The production is so fluid, the keyboards so lush. I haven't listened this album in years and I just popped it in last night and it sounds I'm blown away , still at the production values.... 17 years after it's release.

I hate to admit it, but I love Trevor Horn's work with Yes, FGTH, and Asia. He was one of the main reasons why I got into keyboard/synth playing in the first place, at the rife old age of 17. His stuff was absolutely groundbreaking pop. I also like Rupert Hine's collaborations with Saga and Tina Turner. Now, "Momentary Lapse of Reason"... you're talkin' about some killer arranging and synth work. I have it on cassette and I still get chills when I hear "Another Movie(I vaguely remember the title)".

Y'know, it's funny, but I really hate disco now(I loved it back then). I just recently heard Donna Summer's, "I Feel Love". I'm still amazed with what Giorgio Moroder has done with the track;).

• Members

Great topic, wheresgrant3!

When I saw the thread, the first person I thought of was Trevor Horn. So I was pleased to see that was your pick as well.

If you like his work with Yes, Seal, etc., then I highly recommend Art of Noise's The Seduction of Claude Debussy.

Cheers,

Tim

PS -- As for current folks, I'm a huge fan of Karsh Kale's work. If you hadn't heard his stuff, I suggest that you check it out.

• Members

Q~Strange

produced and mixed all his own shyt beautifully

Dark Lotus-Black Rain

hands down best produced, mixed ------------great all across the board, sounds covering all layers, amazing, definately worth a listen by anybody, requires a fairly open mind though

KottonMouth Kings-Rollin Stoned (Daddy X)

ranks up there with Black Rain, IMO

Hex from L.U.Cipha

hes done majority of all the music for his band, and is amazing, enveloping, just sit back smoke sumthin up wit surround sound on and im marveled by its depth, i hear something new everytyme

Mike E. Clark

produced Psychopathic Record's songs since the begining (although they parted ways), spooky, dark, odd, n fukt up atmospheres

Has produced for various others including Kid Rock (and i forget the rest, as not much in my tastes)

His newest project was Project: Deadman-Self Inflicted, n yet cease to be amazed

Esham

has been in the music business since he was 15 y/o (late 80's), and influenced a majority of rap we hear today (alotta mainstream producers have sampled his shyt)

Systasyrosis SoundSquad (Twiztid & Fritz Vankosky)

they did an amazing job on The Green Book, deep and engrossing

• Members

I too thought of Trevor Horn first thing on seeing this thread. Listen to the Seal II album that Trevor produced, then the Seal III album that he didn't produce, and finally the new Seal iV album that he came back to produce on... you can really tell the quality difference when Trevor was at the controls. He has a nice way of producing punchy yet open mixes with some really tasteful synth licks thrown in now and then. Trevor Horn rules.

• Members

Billy Howerdel (sp?) from A Perfect Circle. I'm normally not a fan of the musician/producer combo, but he just has THAT sound which works so well with the music..from the guitar tones to the drums...some of the vocal treatments I'm not so hot about, but overall I think he's the best new producer I've heard in a few years.

John Fryer - I hate almost EVERYTHING this guy has done, I can't figure out why people keep hiring him..but, NIN Pretty Hate Machine still sounds better than most electronic/alternative hybrid albums put out today...the only quality work I've heard by him.

Dave Ogilive - I don't know what he does, but he manages to make Skinny Puppy seem so alive. Its rare to hear electronic industrial seem so "live."

Bob Rock- I'm mentioning him simply to say how much I hate him and any band who hires this guy is deaf, christ..did anyone listen to Metallicas new album? bleech...worst production ever.

• Members

Yep, Trevor Horn is The Man. That first SEAL album remains one of my favorites of all time, 50% due to production quality and 50% due to great songwriting. That is the album that I use when I am tweaking a new car stereo or home audio component. When I saw this thread, that was what jumped into mind immediately...similar to many others here.

Regards,

Eric

P.S. I also like Mutt Lange's work with Def Leppard.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

For instance, (I know it's cheesy) but I have a great affinity for any album produced by Trevor Horn in the 80's, early 90's. Horn worked on Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Seal (self titled debut), a couple of Asia albums. Yes's
blew me away. The sampling '90125' was so incredibly ahead of it's time and Tony Kay's keyboards are so crisp in the mix. The line is extensive blurred between progressive and 'pop'.

+1

You might want to check out the Propaganda and Act albums too!

A few of those Yes samples made there way over onto the Art of Noise stuff (Daft)

• Members

Originally posted by kikedeolivos

Sir George Martin

wow. what took that so long? George Martin is amazing.

Jimmy Page produced some of rock's meanest records.

Steve Lillywhite in U2 'war' and morrissey 'vauxhall....'

nigel godrich is very interesting and did ok computer (nuff said)

IMhO- I havn't seen alot in this forum to support the idea that synth players are natural producers. most people in this forum tend to exist in a drum machine, synth, computer world w/o interaction with mics and rooms. a great producer exists in all plains. synths are only a piece of the pie in most great recordings. (this is my opinion and I realise there are exceptions). of course, I'm not saying guitar players or singers are more naturally suited to be producers either- I'm just going back to wheresgrant's original statement- many synth players being 'producers in there own right'. maybe sometimes.....

/johnny :)

l mix r

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

wow. what took that so long? George Martin is amazing.

Jimmy Page produced some of rock's meanest records.

Steve Lillywhite in U2 'war' and morrissey 'vauxhall....'

nigel godrich is very interesting and did ok computer (nuff said)

IMhO- I havn't seen alot in this forum to support the idea that synth players are natural producers. most people in this forum tend to exist in a drum machine, synth, computer world w/o interaction with mics and rooms. a great producer exists in all plains. synths are only a piece of the pie in most great recordings. (this is my opinion and I realise there are exceptions). of course, I'm not saying guitar players or singers are more naturally suited to be producers either- I'm just going back to wheresgrant's original statement- many synth players being 'producers in there own right'. maybe sometimes.....

/johnny
:)

l mix r

Very true..... But producing isn't necessarily 100% tied into engineering. You can have an engineer who can get the best drum sound in the world , but wouldn't know how to arrange a 3 part vocal harmony. Producing is the art of creating, managing, overseeing. Many players on this forum do just that. I'm a guitar player and a synth player... I can tell you that my recording instincts and arranging style lend directly from the synth side of my brain. :D

Oh, and yes, George Martin is amazing.

• Members

In any other conversation I'd say "I hate Bob Erzin". However he did for 'Pink Floyd' is what Horn did for 'Yes'.

Never knew that Ezrin was involved with Pink Floyd, but then I'm not a huge fan of them.

He does deserve credit for pretty much all of Alice Cooper's best material, and for discovering them and tightening up their act.

He also produced Lou Reed's Berlin, though Reed's speed fuelled insanity sent him over the edge into a nervous breakdown, which is possibly why Alice Cooper as a band did a completely diffferent album from their previous stuff and then split up.

• Members

Nile Rodgers

- Chic

- Diana Ross

- Sister Sledge

- David Bowie

- Duran Duran

- Madonna

- Mick Jagger

- Jeff Beck

- Vaughan Brothers (SRV + brother Jimmy)

Mick Jones

- Foreigner

- Billy Joel

- Van Halen

Don Was

- Bonnie Raitt

- B52's

- Rolling Stones

- Paula Abdul

"Mutt" Lange

- AC/DC

- Def Leppard

- Shania Twain

Ok, so I like pop/rock music w/catchy hooks + good vocal harmonies, so sue me... :eek::rolleyes::D

• Members

Now:

Jim Wirt - Incubus "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." from 1997, I think it's a very well done album that blends different styles of music in a very good way.

Rick Parashar - Pearl Jam "Ten" from 1991, it's their best sounding album. They've written many songs since then that are just as good (refer to some live albums to compare accurately) or better, but the recordings don't have the feel that Ten did.

Then:

Paul A. Rothchild - the Doors albums, nobody else could've done it justice.

Al Schmitt - Jefferson Airplane "After Bathing at Baxter's", his hands-off approach really let them do some cool and original stuff of true musical merit.

• Members

Was listening to Prefab Sprout's 'Steve McQueen' this morning produced by Thomas Dolby. McAlloon's song writing and Dolby's production on this album is to the ears what honey is for the throat. Subtility from start to end.

Very much like Dolby's own works of that era (The flat earth & Aliens ate my Buick) as well. Crank my stereo on 'I scare myself'...wooaw.

Archived