Radiohead synth question>>

ExplodingBoy

• Members

Anyone know what synth Johnny is playing during Exit Music To A Film and on Lucky that sounds like some eerie mellotron choir voices? It must be a Korg of some sort because it has that older Korg Trinity or Z1 sound. I know he plays a Prophecy, but these are polyphonic voices so I know it's not the Prophecy.

• Members

\Anyone know what synth Johnny is playing during Exit Music To A Film and on Lucky that sounds like some eerie mellotron choir voices? It must be a Korg of some sort because it has that older Korg Trinity or Z1 sound. I know he plays a Prophecy, but these are polyphonic voices so I know it's not the Prophecy.\

I think it might be an actual mellotron.

There is a poly prophecy. It's a Lorg z1, which is alos a Moss. The moss can nail mellotron sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

I heard that they had a real mellotron for the studio, and then just sampled it on a rack sampler one key at a time, and toured with the sampler.

That sounds logical to me anyway.....

That would make sense, because a mellotron is essentially an individual 'sample' for each key.

• Members

Are you sure it isn't an Ondes Martenot? Or the Analogue Solutions remake of said classic?

Definately not. The Ondes Martenot sounds nothing like a Mellotron. It sounds more like a Theramin. The Analog Systems modular than Greenwood plays is also not the sound. It's definately a sampled Mellotron choir but I wasn't sure if it was a preset from a particular Korg synth. Alot of Radiohead's synth sounds have a characteristical sound to them and I just wondered if it was all one particular synth. It has that early Korg rompler sound like a Trinity or something but the only one I know that they play is a Prophecy and that definately doesn't make choir Mellotron sounds. :)

No big deal. I like the sampler / controller idea. That's most likely what it is.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi all,

I read in two different interviews with band that they started with a real mellotron, then sampled it for both live and studio. Regardless, what Jonny pretty much always does is filter either a real mellotron or samples of mellotron through a stereo rack mount filter (the mutator, or something), that he then resamples to get the distinctive re-filtering and modulating of the sound of the mellotron and therefore come up with his own distinctive take on the sound. If you listen, he tends to do this will practically all his keyboard sounds. Also, he use heavy doses of space echo, to give space, dimension and introduce some light distortion and different harmonics from tape head unpredictableness and wear.

-DF

• Members

You can get a nice Mellotron emulation with a sample-based synth if you take a choir sample, boost the eq on the middle frequencies and set the envelope generator to a rectangle shape, ie fast attack, constant sustain and nil release. Works well on strings for that classic Moody Blues sound too. A bit of reverb really brings this to life.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Radiohead topics drive me nuts.

It's not about what Jonny uses. It's not about what Jonny bought.

It's about the thinking process and creativity, and each and every Radiohead topic here on this forum seems to ignore that and only feature a mass of sycophantic "oh they're so dreamy" starry eyed newbies that want to spend $200 at most and expect a box that has presets called "Computer, OK?" and "Idiot-EQ" and fire off melancholic piano chord progressions.

It's much more rewarding to pick his brain apart than his gearlist.

Archived