Gas Thread: How many of you didnt buy anything new..

Needle201

• Members

for me the Gas-absence started last year in October, when the Monomachine Beta Units was due to be released.

remember when there were only 100 units for the reduced price? i was so many times typing my name into the order form, but never send it...and suddenly i was cured of GAS (well almost)...

since then, i have only bought small stuff, like replacing my {censored}ed up Lexicon Reverb, and a small digimixer...

• Members

I rarely buy new gear, used is much better VFM.

Currently I've abandoned my drooling over Tritons in favour of drooling over Trinitys, a lot cheaper, and I went off the Triton as a concept when I found out it uses volatile RAM, so it's bog all use without a SCSI interface and offboard drive (and costs even more), and having to reload things all the time would cheese me off and get in the way of making music.

• Members

All I've bought recently is a new motherboard and HDD. Only bought the mobo because I couldn't get the previous one to work properly, and I ran out of space on the old HDD. Also upgraded PowerTracks but that's only a bargain piece of software (but worth several times the price). Looks like I'm letting the side down.

Bryan

• Members

I haven't bought anything in the last 6 months - 12 months even.

the coming six months (3 months even) will be completely different however.

I didn't (and I still wont really) have enough money and things werent high enough in my priorities to consider buying more gear, but the stuff I'm about to get are more necessities than anything. I used to get pretty bad GAS but then I bought the machinedrum :)

- Joe

• Members

For me it was about six months ago when I bought Absynth. It's not for me and will probably go on ebay to fund the machinedrum.

Seriously, circuit bending is a great cure for GAS. In that six months I've created a half-dozen satisfyingly noisy things.

• Members

For the longest time I tried to figure out what I could compliment my Yamaha 9000 Pro with in my home because my 9000 Pro is often on stage or in my car or whatever and I needed something to practice on and work on sequences with. I checked every option imaginable... in the end, I bought a second used 9000 Pro. There was and is nothing else on the market like it. Shopping and GAS is over - let the music writing begin! :D

• Members

Hmmm.... In the past, I've always used gig money to finance my purchases. I always have a set budget based on how many gigs I have laid out for the month. Sometimes, if I couldn't wait, then I would "borrow" from my personal expenses... and pay myself back through future gigs. However, with this new band I needed so much new gear to get started that I am done with buying gear until next year at least.

here is the lowdown on what I purchased and sold in the last year....

August 03

Bought

Built DAW P-IV 2.5 GHz, 80 GB, 1GB RAM, NVIDA FX5600-Paid$950 in parts

Sold

Gibson LP Faded guitar for $400

Sept 03

Bought

M-Audio 24/96 card $150

Sold

M-Audio Audiophile USB-Paid $150

Oct 03

Bought/Sold-nothing

November 03

Traded Fender Santa Maria 12 string for Roland A37 controller.

Dec 03

Bought

Spectrasonics Atmospheres-$350

Garritan Personal Orchestra-$249

Darkstar XP2 (store demo)- $50

Sold

XBox and a ton of games- $150

Jan 04

Bought/Sold-0

-----------------Joined new band--------------

Feb 04

Bought Micro Korg- $360

Kompakt-$ 150

Sold- IBM Thinkpad- $400

March 04

Bought

EMU PK6-$350

Onstage 2-tier stand-$85

Sold

$0

April

Bought

Yamaha MG10 mini-mixer-$89

Roland XP30 (store demo)-$600

Sold

MicroKorg-$300

EMU PK6/Darkstar XP2-$360

May 04

Bought

Used Ultimate Aphex-$60

Sold-$0

June 04

Bought/Sold $0

July 04

Bought Peavey KB/A 100 practice amp- $180

Vintage Synth Card-Used $80

SOLD

SR-JV Orches II Card- $80

August 04

Samson db500A 500watt Bi-Amped Powered PA- $375 (Ebay)

September 04

Bought Korg MS2000B $475

October 04

Selling Samson db500A

:eek: Becuase of some bad weather we had some summertimer outdoor gigs cancelled. Right now I'm in the red... so I'm selling the Samson Speaker. I really don't need anything that HUGE... and If I do, I can always rent one for $25.

• Members

I went 10 years without buying anything. New record for me. But after all that time, I wanted a fully operational rig again, so I just spent about 4 grand on new gear in the last few months! It isn't as bad a case of GAS that GRANT has, but it's not over either! Need more new gear, no more money. (For now).

Mike T.

• Members

Do replacements count?

Replaced Virus C with Virus Rack XL

Replaced G2 Engine with G2X

Replaced FantomX6 w/Studio, Supreme Dance, Vintage Keys, and 256MB Ram with Kontakt

The additions have been an Electro2 73 and an SE1X.

• Members

hey muzikB: since you're about the only person posting who has owned both the engine and the g2, i'm curious how you like the g2?

i got the g2 and have a hard time picturing how someone could use just the engine.

the whole package is the most integrated thing i've seen yet - everything just works so smoothly together and is so easy to assign stuff to knobs and such.

for the topic, i've bought too much stuff in the last 6 months, but traded it all in on saturday for something i should have gotten in the first place.

i still have a few more pieces i'd like to get or replace.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

hey muzikB: since you're about the only person posting who has owned both the engine and the g2, i'm curious how you like the g2?

i got the g2 and have a hard time picturing how someone could use just the engine.

the whole package is the most integrated thing i've seen yet - everything just works so smoothly together and is so easy to assign stuff to knobs and such.

I don't have my G2X just yet. Clavia seems to be a little slow in providing some to America. As far as the Engine goes, I think it's great! Of coarse you need a computer and it's kind of a bummer that you can't see anything on the unit itself but it's still an awesome piece. I don't have any problems using a mouse. I'm only switching to the G2X because I think it makes for a much better master controller than anything out right now. I can midi map my software instruments and rack modules with it as well as have someone sing into it with the top mounted mic input and build a harmonizer on the computer screen. :) No need for mic booms. I can handle a great deal from one central location with that thing and it's the last studio piece I'm currently waiting on.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

I'm only switching to the G2X because I think it makes for a much better master controller than anything out right now. .........

i can almost guarantee you're going to love it.

ooh - i just noticed you said g2x - better yet. i have the g2 - those extra keys will come in handy (the extra dsp too).

• Members

i haven't bought anything for six months, and this is going to continue till '05 probably..

why? two reasons:

i had a major outburst of GAS in first quarter '04 - Waldorf XT30 , Rhodes MK1, MKS80 w programmer and MoogerFooger Phaser.

later, in July i bought a bmw - crashed and burned my whole savings, and starting over from zero. so no GAS for a while except stuff really necessary - like fixing the grounding and acoustics in my 'studio'. ground loops are driving me nuts, affecting my work definetely..

i guess you could call it attack of BAS - babe aquiring syndrome :cool:freak.gif

Archived