Hammond clones

Q moder

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe no one has even mentioned the XK2, 3, vk8, cx3, or any of these fancy sounding letters and numbers LOL.. Is this nord the nord electro 2 and or 3? The only difference is one being 61 and the other 72 keys? Do they have draw bars and such. Is the nord that much better than the others? What is the weight of the nord compared to some of them? What kind of other sounds does it do? Another important feature to me is transpose. Lots of guitars players like to tune down a half step.

It makes the guitars seem more open and they are easier to play with the cables er strings they use now days. Also it helps out singers and you can still use the orginal keys. I can usually watch a guitar player if I don't know the song and follow along but I don't wanna have them a half step off from me.

• Members

I can't believe no one has even mentioned the XK2, 3, vk8, cx3,

The Korg CX-3, version 2, works best for me because it has the best sounding Leslie effect and I don't want to pack a real Leslie to the 4 to 5 gigs I play every week. Been there, done that, no thanks.

• Members

I guess I don't need the cx3 then as I already have a really old Leslie. Its a tall boy with only one speed, Fast. So I just need the hammond clone to have a sort of mimal slow choral effect. I took the amp outa the Leslie though, put on some big casters, and use a seperate head to power it so its not too bad to move. Just bulky.

Since I'm using a seperate amp though I don't really need the hammond sound keyboard to have a special leslie connector build in for a Leslie either.

• Members

So I just need the hammond clone to have a sort of mimal slow choral effect

The CX-3 has an excellent chorus/vibrato with three settings for each effect, just like on a B-3. In addition the built-in Leslie effect has the slow chorale speed too if you want or need it. It can be turned off if you are using a two speed real Leslie.

• Members

No I need one for more than just a slow speed:D. As I was saying my two little keyboard between them just have two barely passable hammond sounds. My P120 adds a third barely passable too. But they are not Hammonds by any stretch of the imagination :confused: . So I'd like to get a really good one. I thought some you fellas might say Xk-3 but so far no one has even mentioned it or the VK-8. Are they about to go under? So far We have two nords and one CX3 for recommendations. Is there not a lot of organ players out there?

In almost any kind of music organ is and intregal part. Be it rock, pop, or country. I've got a really good piano sound and playability with the P120 but my organ sounds are woefully inadaquate.

Give me some whys? Lets see if the nord and the CX3 are the way to go and if so which one would you choose and why its the best board for the job?

• Members

I thought some you fellas might say Xk-3 but so far no one has even mentioned it or the VK-8.

I don't own an XK-3 but from everything I have heard about it and read about it....the XK-3 gets glowing reviews on eveything except the built-in Leslie...which most feel is not as good as the CX-3 Leslie effect. If you are using a real Leslie, no problem. That being said the XK-3 also seems to be hard to find as Hammond-Suzuki does not have a good stocking dealer network. The XK-3 has been on the market for months now and many music stores either don't stock it or can't get it. They are available from the online dealers but most dudes would like to see and play the organ before laying out $2200 or more sight unseen. The Roland VK-7 and VK-8 clones also sound good, but again the Leslie effect is not as good as the CX-3 according to many opinions. The good news about the CX-3 and Roland clones is that you can buy a good used one for around $1,000 or so, maybe less.

• Members

Hey Q Moder:

Here's a link to go to at Musicplayer.com. There's a ton of XK-3 owners and they have a real good thread going about that new Hammond, if you haven't already been there:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=011390

Apparently, there's a lot less Hammond owners on this site than the musicplayer.com site, maybe that's why there's less recommendations for it.

I don't know about Hammond's dealer supply inventory, I usually don't buy an instrument as soon as it comes out. If there are any bugs in the OS, a newer version will have it when its shipped. You also pay top dollar for a new model as soon as it comes out. If you can wait, there will be more supply down the road. If you need it right away, you won't go wrong with some of the other choices out there. Both the CX-3 and the Nord sound great. Might get a better deal on them too. This site has someone with a XK-2 for less than 800 bucks, but it was a bit old. Depends on new you want it to be and how much you want to pay for one. Check the classified:

http://www.harmony-central.com/cgi-bin/forsale-query.pl?owner=on&fs=on&1002=on&time=3&buyerzip=16823

The XK-2 is pretty far down the list, he wants 745.00. Read the reviews on this site, I think there were some issues with that model. There's also a Korg CX-3 for 1299, which is too high, and a few other organ clones in there. Check it out.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Q moder

No I need one for more than just a slow speed:D.

Give me some whys? Lets see if the nord and the CX3 are the way to go and if so which one would you choose and why its the best board for the job?

Using a slow speed simulator and a fast speed on a real leslie together? Is that what you are saying you want to do? It doesn't really work cause you get all kinds of phase cancellation. I've played with it before.

For some whys. Like I've said a million times before (well, not a million, but a bunch), organ emulators are all a matter of taste. They all have good points and weaknesses. None of them are terrible, even going back to the VK7 or XK2. What I like someone else won't like, and what you like may not be what I like.

I have the Electro, I got one when they 1st came out. The reason I like it is it has a very accurate base organ tone (leslie off, etc.) It has a top notch Leslie sim, it's one drawback there being you can't adjust it, but it does sound good enough that you don't really need to tweak it. It does other electro-mechanical sounds better than anything else I've heard. It's very light weight. It looks cool on stage. The keyboard is great for organ, so-so for the pianos, but it was easy to get used to. So you sort of have a mini Swiss army knife of classic keyboard sounds built into one unit.

I've never used the CX3 live but did mess with one at a dealer one day. I didn't like it (see, here's where the personal preference comes in). Yes, it's laid out nice like a real organ. It's got real drawbars. (if you have never spent extensive time on a real hammond, none of that will really matter to you). It's base sound seemed shrill to me. It does have a lot of parameters to adjust the tones though. It doesn't do anything but organ and weighs about 2x what the Electro does.

I'm glad I bought the Electro. I retired a VK7 organ and a P50 yamaha digital piano when I got it, saving about 100lbs of gear weight and improving all of the sounds those 2 boards made, with the exception of the P50 grand piano which was awesome and superb, like the P120.

• Members

Buying based on what people say on the internet can be bad or good I suspose. However I would have never bought my P120 without net input and that sure turned out good. I got a 360 Rickenbacker based on the net information too and love it. The thing about net buying is read every board and every word that people have to say that have one and know more than you. I usually take about six months to totally make up my mind.

I read the thread on that other board there mike. Those guys are deep and lost me after a while. But they sure like those Xk3's. Here on the other hand is where I've first heard good things about the nord electro. I have always heard though that each mi nute pull on a drawbar can make a lot of difference in the sound with a hammond. So how is the nord controlled? However if a Nord electro is just as good as the hammonds without all the weight, has other good sounds up its seleve it, and cost less well then why not get it?

My Leslie as I said is a on or off fast speed thing thats foot operated. I do have a friend that currently has a hammond spinet. Still too bulky and heavy to move for any gig but he uses a build in choral on it thats quite good. Then he has this tiny on and off fast speed leslie about the size of a footrest for his fast speed. Mine should work like that only louder.

So tell me more about the nord. I know now its susposed to do a B-3 good and a electric piano good but I already have a P120 for that. I hope the keys are not weighted like the P120 though as that does'nt sound like it would be conducive to playing organ on. So else does this musical swiss army knife do?

• Members

I'm one of the musicplayer.com posters, and here's my experience so far with the Hammond xk3. There were three of us that started raving about our new xk3s the same week. I bought my xk3 our area Hammond guru, who told me that the sound engine in the xk3 is the same as that used in the new B3. I am not into one board does all, but I have been in the past. Organ and piano/rhodes is really all I need. I've played about 5 or 6 gigs with the xk3 through a motion sound kbr-m, some with a speakeasy clone classic pre-amp, some without. IMO it really does not need the pre-amp, but I'm superstitous - it helped my old V5 out some. I am from the Voce school of clones having owned a micro-b, V3, and V5. The xk3 is the best B3 sound live I have ever heard from something that's not an old B3, made me realize what I'd been missing. Plus the keyboard is authentic, works just like a real hammond keyboard, not an approximation. That's a plus that you do not hear much about from somebody that hasn't played one. It's really cool; no other board does that except B3's and new B3's. . The xk3 is a really fine board. I'd get it again in a minute. I think an electro would be a good choice, too, it's probably a little less money, and it's more of a jack of all trades thing, I guess. Owners love it, and there's no reason to doubt them. In fact it might work as a lower manual, but I have that covered so far. Actually with the great piano and the e2 rhodes on your p120 you have piano and rhodes covered about as well as possible. The nord would probably be a step down for you there. All you need is the organ. Another thing, the xk3 says "hammond" on the back!

• Members

Originally posted by daviel

The xk3 is a really fine board. I'd get it again in a minute. I think an electro would be a good choice, too, it's probably a little less money, and it's more of a jack of all trades thing, I guess. Owners love it, and there's no reason to doubt them.

I think that is EXACTLY why the Nord is popular: a killer organ sound, but also a few very useable electro-mechanical piano sounds as well - rhodes, wurlitzer, yamaha CP70, clavinet. Even the acoustic pianos are passable - not incredible, but not bad. I don't own a Nord Electro, but I heard a friend's and it really sounded great.

If all you need is a killer organ - sounds to me like the Hammond XK3 or the Korg CX3 would be the way to go, since they ARE laid out like organs and you can futz with the drawbars or whatever it is you organ wackos obsess over... :D just kidding (not really :eek::rolleyes: )

• Members

I looked at the specs on the Hammond XK-2 and for how its priced, it looks like a good value. I've read some reviews of it on this site, and apparently, there's some issues with that model. I don't know if some of the reported problems were corrected in later editions or not.

Mike T.

• Members

Korg BX3 user here;

I used to play on a Hammond Porta B/Leslie 147 combo; got tired of carrying it around. In the mid-80s did my organ stuff on a DX7/Leslie setup (sounded quite good, actually); tried using an Oberheim OB3 (dreadful); ended up trying VK7, XB2; both acceptable, neither great.

I haven't had access to Nord boards.

I ended up with the BX3 because on many classic tunes I want drawbar access and two manuals; the Korg does that. It also gives much the same physical sensation as an old Hammond, but at 65lbs total. When I first got mine, I couldn't get quite the tone I wanted. Ten minutes with the manual, and another 5 programming, and I have exactly the organ/leslie sounds I want on presets, with the bonus of being able to change drawbar settings on the fly. Finally, with a little programming it makes a fairly decent two-tier controller.

I might have checked out the XK3, but none were available at the time.

I am quite happy with the Korg. I have stopped carrying around my Leslie 147 and just use the internal simulator; with it's programmability I can make it sound correct to me.

• Members

So Daviel does the XK3 have transpose? Are the black keys presets? Also I've checked on the site about the Hammond but they is no diminisions or weight given. what are they?

One that has'nt been mentioned yet is the VK8. It looks as though it has drawbars. The Ad says it has piano and strings sounds. But the my p120 has that covered already. But it also says that it has brass and syn sounds. How good is it? Price is just above the XK2.

Daviel how would you compare the XK3 to that and or the Nord Electro if you have played one? It seems that you are the only one who has used or has and XK3.

This is of course for anyone who has played has the Nord, hammond, or VK8 and or owns one. Those seem to be the favorites with me right now due to whats been said. This is a large amount of cash laid out for me so I would like to only spend it only once.

• Members

OK, here goes...Looking at the manual, the xk3 does have transpose [-6 -0- +6 semitones]. I haven't used transpose; that question got me into the manual. I'm just browsing through the manual and will just note some highlights. It has pretty extensive midi control, and very extensive control over everything else like tone wheel sounds, organ types [3], Leslie simulation [leslie cabinets (8), speeds, acceleration, deceleration, brake, volume, mic angle and distance, horn character (whatever that is)] - which I think is quite good - -- presets and on and on. It will play the original keyboard, a second manual and pedals. It has a leslie output jack, and uses a hammond expression pedal [not included, but essential - a cool thing about the pedal is that it also has a side-ways working foot-switch that starts and stops the leslie simulation without having to take your foot off the expression pedal - and the leslie simulation really ain't too bad itself IMHO]. The 12 reverse color keys are pre-sets, C to B, just like on a B3. Eleven banks of pre-sets are programmed in, and you can save your own. The controls all look and feel like Hammond controls. On-board EQ; splits; manual bass; extra memory by flash rom card to save more set-ups; reverb; pitch bend and mod wheels, leakage, key-click, tube pre-amp, and on and on. Just think of a parameter and you can control it. A real arcane one for instance: "envelope attack" and "envelope release" rates allow you to control the rate of attack and decay of the note to be sounded upon pressing a key and releasing the key. The note may sound and decay immediately or slower as you wish. This models a peculiar characteristic of B3 keyboards because they switch on the 9 drawbars, 1-9, with little switches in the B3's keys that sound the drawbars sequentially as a key is pressed down over milli-seconds - weird,but it contributes to the sound - you can screw around with that to make it work just like the B3 at home :-). The feel of the keyboard is different from others. It feels like a B3 - there's more to it than just the 'waterfall' filed off lips, I guess. It has an internal tube pre-amp with two 12ax7's or au7's, I forget which, that you can modify by pre-amp type, besides dialing in clean to overdrive from the panel. So far as I'm concerned, I just turned mine on and have been playing it as it came out of the box. The wood case looks cool. The xk3 dimensions are 46.75" by 15.75" by 4.75" and it weighs about 43 lbs. It says "Hammond" on the back. I've played a cx3 and liked it, but I like the xk3 better. I've never played a VK-8 outside a music store. I don't know anything about nord electro but I'll probably get one sooner or later just for the light weight rhodes, wurli, and cp70 sounds. Everybody that has one raves about it. I'm sorry to go on and on, but I got to reading through the manual and just couldn't quit. It gives you an idea how deep this thing is. The sound - you have to hear it to believe it. Sounds like you're fine on the other sounds with your yamaha p120. I have a pc1x that covers the piano, rhodes and wurli sounds for me and I like it. I find it a benefit NOT to have horns, synths, etc etc because I hate mimicing those. I don't mind strings or vox though for some reason. I like boards that do one or two things real well and stick to that. Whether you get an electro or the hammond you'll do fine. They're both great instruments.

Archived