Is it True that keyboardists.....(GiG ?)

dZjupp

• Members

Compared to you chick corea seems a wordsmith genius with several Ph. D.'s in English literature behind his belt. In other words, please, add some sense to your posts.

- what's your budget?

- what's your experience?

- what's the genre you play?

Based on that we can recommend you some keys to add.

• Members

hey back off the snide remarks, i was just kiddin about your ding danks:cool:

j/k

well i'm not worried about budget but i would love to get like an oberheim obxa1 or whatever it is, and a korg ms2000 or something of that nature, primarily for just background noise, but my main gig in show is the guitar, so i guess my main question is that is it a hassle to try and set up both instruments and then switching between the two or trying to play both at the same time, i know the edge of u2 triggers his with footswitches, is that a possiblity? thanks

• Members

hey back off the snide remarks, i was just kiddin about your ding danks

interesting use of words...

Would you like weighted keys or synth action keys?

There are many synths out there that would give you what you want. I suggest looking around on the web.

Chris

• Members

Background noise, pft, your future career doesn't look took promising man. ;)

Other than that. Someone posted a picture of foot-controlled Virus earlier. So if you want to just do some background drone (and play guitar simultaneously) it might be a good idea to invest in some MIDI bass pedal unit (meant for hammond clones and such) and some simple and inexpensive tabletop VA like Nord Rack (no fx, but just run it through your fx pedals) or Virus A/B tabletop. Just my two cents.

• Members

Seeing that an Oberheim Xa is a horribly huge analog monster nobody here can afford anyway - go for an Alesis Ion. You get an extra oscillator and silky Oberheim-modelled filters. It also won't break your back. It also is more powerful in terms of synthesis than the MS2000 (which is cute but rather dated for a virtual analog synthesizer).

Triggering stuff with foot pedals; no idea if that works. You just want to trigger single sounds (which'd be better if you'd get a sampler of sorts) or complete melodies?

• Members

I think his question is more about useing keys in addition to playing guitar then just a gear recommendation. While i dont' play out live anymore I've had no problems jumping back and forth between guitar and keys, though there is a bit of a learning curve picking up keys. As far a triggering the key-parts live, that can be a big hassle. You need to have a set tempo for any of the pre-programmed passages to work right and most drummers don't appriciate a click track. If you can talk him into that, the rest is just sorting out the details.

• Members

hey thanks guys, you both just gave me more info than i was expecting, sorry i'm kind of fruity today i am excited because i found an old friend in poland, and it was just great to hear from him, but truly thanks, both ideas are what i've been looking for. i didn't mean background noise, just some pads/synth to fill in the gaps while i'm doing ebow or soft guitar stuff. thanks again!

• Members

I tap the girl in the third row with my yingyang....when I'm on stage.

:D

Anyway, go get yourself a Rush video. For pads, etc, any good synth plus pedals will suit your needs. They're pretty much the masters at it.

Actually, in our bar band, the guitarist triggers his Yammi EX-5 with pedals, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

• Members

I have played Keys and guitar on stage but never used foot controllers. Typically during a mellow verse I would play the synth with my left hand then put my hand back on the fretboard for the the chorus etc. I used to use my right hand but it was a hassle putting the guitar pick down and picking back up. It screws up your timing. An Ion or MS2k and MIDI pedals sounds like it would work for you.

Archived