Best piano patch?

Deki

• Members
Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Mmm-hmm... and where I come from, we'd tell you to go f--k yourself, and then probably kick your @$$ for good measure. If you wanna think I'm sucking up for some non-existent job at Yamaha, go right ahead.

Kiru

First of all:

- nothing wrong with "sucking up" to get a job. Sometimes in life it's "right place, right time" or "who you know"... doesn't matter either way. If Kiru/Lincoln gets a job w/Yamaha I'm sure he'll do great things there.

Second of all:

- everybody just chill out - what happened to "peace on earth, good will towards men..." ?! :eek::confused:

:cool:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Undoubtedly the best piano patch I have ever played is in my Roland Fathom X8. It seems that Roland has taken a Grand Piano and sampled every key at four different velocities. As far as sounding like a real Grand I haven't heard anything that comes closer.

• Members

Jazz+,

Its clear that there are no digital pianos or speakers for that matter, that can actually satisfy your wants needs. You say that you've used the EP2 sound on hundreds of gigs, so it should be reasonable in thinking that the cost of an instrument isn't that great of a concern for you. You also seem to have the money to spend on all the various speaker setups, digital pianos, etc.. so why not sell it all and buy a real grand? True its not portable, but thats why there are roadies :)

• Members
Originally posted by DonoftheDead

Jazz+,

Its clear that there are no digital pianos or speakers for that matter, that can actually satisfy your wants needs. You say that you've used the EP2 sound on hundreds of gigs, so it should be reasonable in thinking that the cost of an instrument isn't that great of a concern for you. You also seem to have the money to spend on all the various speaker setups, digital pianos, etc.. so why not sell it all and buy a real grand? True its not portable, but thats why there are roadies
:)

Don ("ofthedead"...?!) -

I agree with you in your analysis that Jazz+ does seem to have bottomless capital finances to keep swapping around equipment - although if he is a full-time musician, it is all part of the "gig" ... but still, I play professionally on weekends (average about 35 gigs a year or so - used to be more), have come to rely on the extra income it has provided me and my wife and kids over the years - yet in my "live rig" one of the keyboards I use (Ensoniq KS-32) and one of the modules (Kurzweil MicroPiano) are approaching the 10 year old mark: I have used them on hundreds of gigs over the past 10 yrs.!

Point being - I think that there is fine line between being picky or "particular" about having good, or quality sounding gear - and being just plain obsessed with the "holy grail" of acoustic piano sounds.

However -
I do identify with Jazz+ certain extent because he plays live, on the job, on the gig - and so obviously he can't be dragging a grand piano around with him (I assume you're kidding about the "roadies" crack... :eek::confused: ) and therefore his search for a portable keyboard/amplification setup that sounds good (to him and the audience) is legitimate - I just think he takes it too far.

I am looking to invest in a lightweight digital piano in 2005 and I may just end up with a Roland FP2 because I just plain like the convenience of 26lbs. machine + am willing to live with it if the piano is just very good, but just not spectacular.

• Members

SMS:

The Fantom X piano sample sounds pretty incredible. Oddly enough, when I was shopping around for a workstation, there was only one dealer I spoke to that suggested the X8 above Yamaha Motif ES8. Being that there really aren't any Roland dealers close by, I never gave it much thought. The Roland gear I own I've had to have serviced over its life cycle, and the dealer I use to buy Roland from doesn't sell Roland anymore. Too many problems getting parts and support from them. I can't say that I'm unhappy with my Motif ES8, its a great workstation. But I do agree that X8 piano sample sounds like the real deal. It seems to priced the same as the Motif MAP prices. What did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by DonoftheDead

Who's to say?
:D

Umm... You're to say - since you posted it. :confused::eek:

Unless you only offered the comment as a way to point out how absurd/comical the continual search for the perfect piano is, on the part of Jazz+... :p

In which case, I agree w/you.

• Members

I payed 2795.00 for my Fantom X8. Yhe main reason I was interested in it was because it was 88 keys with a sequencer. I haven't seen many with 88 weighted keys and an onboard sequencer. I've had it about a month and absolutely love it.

• Members

Originally posted by sms

I payed 2795.00 for my Fantom X8. Yhe main reason I was interested in it was because it was 88 keys with a sequencer. I haven't seen many with 88 weighted keys and an onboard sequencer. I've had it about a month and absolutely love it.

The Big Three all have an 88key version with seq. -

Yamaha Motif ES8

Roland Fantom X8

Korg Triton Studio 88 or Extreme 88

...so what made you go for the Fantom X8 specifically - was it that the piano sound was better (to your ears) than the Triton's or the Motif's??

• Members

SMS:

I hope you enjoy the new board. I think that's got a pretty incredible acoustic piano sample. As far as I know, the Motif ES doesn't have 4 velocity curves with samples of EACH note. Impressive. I played the video demo from NAMM after I read your comments about the piano sample.

The Motif ES has an onboard sequencer as well as a sampler that can take 1 GB of sample RAM.

Roland has an easier operating system than the MOTIF. Enjoy it, that's a good size investment.

Mike T.

• Members

Hi folks. Have been at Purgatory Creeks piano shootout. Not ideal test conditions unfortunately (as LakelanddUde pointed out much earlier ) but nonetheless a good opportunity to compare piano samples.

Most of the MP3's are a quite accurate IMO ..... I'm familiar with a lot of the samples . Some of the newer more sophisticated samples are not what they are cracked up to be IMO but they may well be victims of the test conditions ( I'll check 'em out at the manufacturers website ).

It seems clear to me that the middle 2 octaves of an acoustic piano are the hardest to duplicate ...... I personally listen closely to the RH stating the melody. Many of the samples struggle in this area .... the Yamaha P120 and P90 GP1 are good examples of this ...... many notes in the octave above middle C just go "thack ". ( If you don't own one, go have a listen to the melody being played in the first 30 seconds ).

From what I've heard so far, the Yammy S90 3 layer S700 ( ?? ) sounds great ...... along with the PLG 150 AP .

What really surprised me was the "Mellow Grand " from the Kawai ES3 ......... fantastic !

I think I'll have to go elsewhere to hear the Roland Fantom X Utimate Grand ...... only sounds good here IMO ..... not great.
A lot of the Roland MP3's are quite accurate tho ..... JV/XV, RD170, FP3 and SRJV/SRX expansion boards.

I for one am very excited about the current crop of rack modules ..... and the new Yammy one next year :eek:

(what about that Baldwin SD 10 MP3 ....... it's a shocker .... sounds like the old clapped out peeanna at the local scout hall ...... out of tune and all :confused: ...... what were they thinking ?? )

Anyway, gotta go. Cheers murf :)

• Members

Murf:

Some good observations my friend. I agree there are a lot of good choices out there these days. I really liked the Fantom X8 acoustic piano sample. Roland did 4 four velocity samples per note and sampled every note in the 88 key range. Impressive. Their OS as well as the pads they have on the X8 is a lot different than Yamaha Motif ES. The pads reminded me of having drum machine pads right on your KB. That's not a bad thing, I found it an interesting set up. Some new stuff on the horizon with Winter NAMM around the corner. We're spoiled.

Mike T.

Archived