Hey Sunburstbasser

• Members

Nice forum ya got here :thu: First time n00b to this place....Do you guys discuss my svelte good looks here as part of practical music theory?

What would you recommend to somebody interested in wanting to try out a horn with no brass or woodwind experience ?( Ive always wanted to, and never have...)

EDIT: I read bass clef rather well - would that make a difference?

• Members

If you read bass clef, can I assume you're a bass player? Maybe try trombone, euphonium, or dare I say tuba, just because you'll be able to translate some of what you know about playing basslines to these instruments as well. I also say this because I know a lot of bass players who double on tuba. Or is it the other way around?

• Members

At small schools, the jazz band's bassist is usually the tubist because he can already read bass clef.:D

I know you're a keyboardist as well, and you probably read treble clef well enough for most horn parts short of trumpet concertos and Maynard Ferguson lead lines. So don't discount a treble-oriented instrument.

Since you have no experience, then you have no embouchure. That means you can pick up either a brass OR a woodwind, and go from there. Personally, for low instruments, I think the Bari sax is hard to beat soundwise. In your circumstances, though, I'd just pick whatever you like the sound of, find a decent used one (and a teacher of some sort), and go from there. The teacher bit is basically a must, since wind instruments are quite a bit more difficult to figure out than stringed/keyed instruments.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys...I was thinking of sax and actually running it through my vocal harmonizer at gigs ( Yes, I have been playing keys mostly of late, and certain songs - like the AWB tunes we do, cause I dont sing those - I think it would be fun to actually play the horn part(s), or a facsimile of, instead of doing it on the keys.....

Bari Sax....Hmmmm...I know they sound sex-ay!

• Members

As far as cheap goes, trumpet is the cheapest all-around instrument, while over time the trombone is cheaper to care for since the entire instrument can be cleaned and serviced with little equipment or experience. Woodwinds cost more (more moving parts=more cost) and cost more to service due to the intricacies of the springs and levers.

• Members

Sax is one of the easier instruments to learn for a beginner. Every year that I've taught beginning band my sax students progress faster than all the other instruments because of this. I believe that (to some extent) brass and flute embouchure is a natural embouchure while sax and clarinet are taught embouchures.

• Members

Sax is one of the easier instruments to learn for a beginner. Every year that I've taught beginning band my sax students progress faster than all the other instruments because of this. I believe that (to some extent) brass and flute embouchure is a natural embouchure while sax and clarinet are taught embouchures.

Im glad I posted this...Im gonna ask the wife for a bari sax over the holidays :thu:

Sunburstbasser: I may be bothering you a lot in the coming year... :D

Archived