Remember When Casio Had That Cheap Little Sampling Keyboard?

sydfan

• Members

I had the rare Concertmate Radio Shack edition when I was a kid. I picked up an SK-1 last year with the original box and manual for $20. The price tag from when it was new is still on it. It was something like $180 new! :eek:

I'm not going to "bend" it, because it will be as sought after as a Minimoog one day because all the original ones will have been circuitbent. :p:D

• Members

I bought one new some time in the late 80s.. 1986, maybe? I saw one yesterday on the Internet, some jackass wants $50 for it!

Boat loads of fun, and simple FM (or FM-ish) synthesizer. You could change the ADSR envelope among several presets, add tones by wavelength, and change the relative strength of the tones.

That was my first intro to both sampling and synthesis. FYI, you should record your samples in A for them to play back right.

The kids have it now. If I could MIDI it up to store patches and not just play back, I'd take it back. Four notes of polyphony, hours and hours of fun.

Wes

• Members

I use mine as a tone-generator sometimes when I am testing high-end analog FX... It makes me smile. :)

Still haven't gotten around to bending mine... but I'm thinking of doing my own version of the Tablebeast ic-logic patchbay mod. Sounds awesome!

funny that now that you can get 192kHz audio and all manner of high-end digital hoohah, there is an 8-bit nostalgia revolution underway as well... people are strange.

Amos

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

When the SK-1 came out, I was so young I'd do nothing but record fart sounds into the thing and play "Fart Chopsticks" or "Fart Heart and Soul".
:D

Hours of fun at K-Mart, laughing my 6-year-old ass off.

LOL

• Members

Originally posted by Amos

funny that now that you can get 192kHz audio and all manner of high-end digital hoohah, there is an 8-bit nostalgia revolution underway as well... people are strange.

Screw 8-bit! 4-bit all the way... Classic Gameboy is where it's at. :D

Kiru

• Members

Thinking back, I tend to think that my first synth experience was in my early teenage years, but this thread reminded me of when I was really young, maybe 4 or 5, and the kids nextdoor had a keyboard that definately featured sampling. It probably was an SK-1 and I didn't really appreciate it at the time.

While I didn't dive into fart samples, I do remember doing stuff like Ferris Bueller with burps and sneezes. He had a Emulator iii or something, didn't he?

• Members

you probably won't believe me, but back in the day I used to use one of those at pub gigs.

the song?

ja-ja-ja-ja-jack your body ja-ja-ja etc

great fun and a real crowd pleaser. In fact we used to get audience members to shout "jack your body" into the internal mic and then use that as the sample.

tasteless yes.

good fun too :D

you got to remember this was 1987!

• Members

Originally posted by roblogic

I just got an SK-1 last night! My wife was moving a bunch of stuff out of storage at her parent's house and though I'd want it. She brought her original NES home too. She has the manuals for both. I love that woman.
:D

Oh man! Shes a keeper!! better not let her go! she might take her NES and Sk1 with her...

Archived