OT - The Mars Volta rawks

Trillian

• Members

I know I'm a bit behind the times now and then. I just started getting into The Mars Volta and I'm really diggin it.

I only have 'de-loused in the comatorium' so far.

Some may disagree but to me this is like Rush and Yes on acid. I need to get the lyrics to some of these songs. One is something like 'exo-skeleton truncheon at the railroad delay' ... Jon Anderson would be proud. I never thought I hear crazy drug-trip lyrics like that again. I get the jist that some of it is from the writings of some cat they mention in the CD insert. Anyway, it's trippy rockin out stuff.

I have also recently heard Coheed and Cambria and they are fairly similar, 'must get some of their CDs.

Prog lives dammit !

-Sheryl

• Members

I honestly can't stand 99% of prog-rock, but The Mars Volta is indeed an amazing band... Because they actually write good hooks, and don't just wank-off with their instruments.

A friend was just sent a pre-release of their new album, and it's fantastic. We're trying to get a copy of NIN's With Teeth through the same contact.

MUSE is the other band bordering on prog that I adore.

Sparta (the other At The Drive-In spinoff project) is also pretty good, but more mainstream.

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

I honestly can't stand 99% of prog-rock, but The Mars Volta is indeed an amazing band... Because they actually write good hooks, and don't just wank-off with their instruments.

Yeah, I agree. So much prog is a style over substance exercise. I like Muse alot as well. They sort of took Radiohead circa 'Ok Computer' and just ran with it and went more energetic and more 'rock'.

Martin Gretch is a bit in that same vein as well.

-Sheryl

• Members

Count me in as a fellow Mars Volta fan/devotee. I played the holy hell out of De-loused in the Comatorium months before the domestic release and I still couldn't wait to get my grubby hands on it. Need to get it on vinyl too, though.

New one comes out first week in March, and everything I've heard from it so far is amazing.

MUSE is the other band bordering on prog that I adore.

I was thinking about snagging this album. I liked the single I heard, had some great sounds in it. I take it you're giving it the seal of approval?

• Members

i'm curious.

please name some prog rock bands/artists who merely wank-off with their instruments.

i don't like wanking either, but i consider myself a a devout-yet-picky prog rock fan.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

please name some prog rock bands/artists who merely wank-off with their instruments.

Dream Theater and King's X are probably the biggest offenders in this arena. Yes, they're all immensely skilled at playing, but it doesn't mean what they write will influence many non-prog-loving musicians.

If your audience is filled with people performing air guitar or air keyboards, there's a pretty good chance no one will be leaving humming your tunes, ya' know?

If 10-minute solos, odd meters, or lightning-fast arpeggios don't legitimately make the song better or catchier, they're masturbatory. Personally, I prefer music made for a greater audience than other musicians.

Queen, Mr. Bungle, Muse, and The Mars Volta can all play their asses off and still glue melodies into your head.

• Members

Dream Theater and King's X are probably the biggest offenders in this arena.

cool.

fortunately, they're not prog. they're neo-prog.

neo prog bands often attempt to evoke the feeling of Goblin, King Crimson, or Emerson Lake & Palmer without ever stopping to understand what the {censored} those cats were on about anyway.

i'm pretty sure the thinking goes like this: "robert fripp plays fast sometimes. robert fripp is prog, therefore to be prog i must play fast"

a big difference between old prog bands and neo-prog bands is that all the old prog bands are made up of people who used to be in soul bands of some type.

most neo-proggers need a hot STAX injection.

Archived