Hard Disk Recorders - Anyone Use?

GigMan

• Members

I am looking to put together a short demo (3, 4 songs) to get some additional gigs on the side - duo work: keys + guitar w/drum machine, some sequencing, maybe some 2 guitar action (if I can remember how to play the damn thing... ;))

I have considered going to a studio but I'm thinking I might be better off to spend my money on a decent dedicated digital/hard disk unit and do it myself. I'm doing all the tracks (drum machine, bass lines, vocals, keys, acoustic guitar) - except the electric guitar parts, I'll have my friend do that + if I can rustle up any gigs, he'll do them with me. It just seems to me the hard disc recorders are more stable than PC-based recording, better sound quality (I think?), and definitely less of a learning curve.

I have considered the following:

Yamaha AW16G - $799.99 (a "dent+scratch" price at AMS)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-AW16G.html

Zoom MRS1608 - $799.99

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ZOO-MRS1608.html

Fostex VF160EX - $799.99

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FOS-VF160EXCDR.html

...there are cheaper models but they only allow for simultaneous recording on 2 tracks at a time + I don't like that. If I'm going to spend the money, I want a unit that gives me at least 4, preferrably 8 tracks simultaneous recording. Not that I specifically need that for this project - I just think, in general, it's a drawback NOT to have it.

Thoughts, comment, suggestions, flames... - fire away. :cool:

• Members

G-Man,

I've owned my Fostex DMT-8vL 8 track for over 8 yrs and, let me tell ya, they are well worth it. They take much of the strain away from your PC being an all-in-one package, and they are much easier to use. The HD's are swappable, so you can always later upgrade to a larger HD when you need to. I payed about $1,100 for mine when I bought it and prices have gone way down since. Been thinking about replacing it with a new one.

My verdict... GO FOR IT!!!

:D

Tuck

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

G-Man,

I've owned my Fostex DMT-8vL 8 track for over 8 yrs and, let me tell ya, they are well worth it. They take much of the strain away from your PC being an all-in-one package, and they are much easier to use. The HD's are swappable, so you can always later upgrade to a larger HD when you need to. I payed about $1,100 for mine when I bought it and prices have gone way down since. Been thinking about replacing it with a new one.

My verdict... GO FOR IT!!!

:D

Tuck

So Tuck, what do you think of the 3 models I referenced?

• Members

I guess I have, but more out of laziness than strategic decision.

I use a regular old analog mixing console and replaced my magtape recording unit with an HDD unit -- so the workflow is really about the same (the HDD unit has more memory for ref points I suppose and bouncing is cleaner, but that's about it in terms of my use)

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

So Tuck, what do you think of the 3 models I referenced?

Those are very good choices. The Fostex and the Zoom look like some great buys. Can't say that one or the other is better, but I'd opt for one with the built-in CD burner

• Members

I had Tascam DA-38's but got rid of them. They were great, just older technology. Have you checked out the D-1600 MkII by Korg. Has a 40gb hard drive and a built in CD burner. It can do 24 bit and it's about $1k. It's a great buy.

Archived