Bad Trade Advice Needed...

Backerhacker

• Members

Ok...I am in the midst of a trade that was supposed to be completed on the 28th of May. The guy received the geet on May 26th and was supposed to make a decision and either send me his or return mine within 48 hours.

We'd communicated well prior to and soon following the agreement. Now, I have not heard from him since June 1st. I have sent him emails and left messages on his phone...no resonse at all. I am getting nervous that I may never see my guitar again.

Am I over reacting? If not...how much longer should I wait before taking legal action? Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

B.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ok...I am in the midst of a trade that was supposed to be completed on the 28th of May. The guy received the geet on May 26th and was supposed to make a decision and either send me his or return mine within 48 hours.

We'd communicated well prior to and soon following the agreement. Now, I have not heard from him since June 1st. I have sent him emails and left messages on his phone...no resonse at all. I am getting nervous that I may never see my guitar again.

Am I over reacting? If not...how much longer should I wait before taking legal action? Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

B.

I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt... but when you both agreed 48 hours or 2 days for a review.... :facepalm: Its now been over a week without communication, and in my book given the circumstances of the transaction I would be worried. What possible explanation could he give you to explain the lack of communication in this day and age? Especially since you were kind enough to let him try out your property!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

• Members

yes...well I did google him. Found out that a couple of months ago he was hit by a car while riding a bike. He told me that he had been going to the doctor regularly, but was back to work. On June 1st, our last communication, he'd indicated that he was sorry for not communicating, but he'd spent the night in the hospital due to a head CT taken the previous day. He said that he would plug in the geet, try it out and get back to me...

now nothing....

• Members

I agree.

He has your property.

However, the authorities aren't going to get engaged since you "gave" him the guitar. In that case, it will be party-vs-party and you'll have to either go to small claims court, or go there yourself to get it back. (speaking from experience here with a laptop sale, that ended similarly to this.)

Deals like this often end up bad. In the future, get a paypal deposit. You can easily reverse the charge to him when he returns the gear, and both folks are covered.

• Members

Here is what I am going to do...I told him on a phone message and an email that he had until today to get back to me with a tracking# or some sort of communication. If I do not hear from him by tonight...I promise I will reveal all tomorrow...along with transcripts of our emails.

I intend to call police tomorrow morning if I do not hear anything. Just really nervous...and worried. The guy was a bit of a newby here, but I felt very comfortable that I'd checked him out well. Got name, phone, address, ect...

• Members

Here is what I am going to do...I told him on a phone message and an email that he had until today to get back to me with a tracking# or some sort of communication. If I do not hear from him by tonight...I promise I will reveal all tomorrow...along with transcripts of our emails.

I intend to call police tomorrow morning if I do not hear anything. Just really nervous...and worried. The guy was a bit of a newby here, but I felt very comfortable that I'd checked him out well. Got name, phone, address, ect...

I really hope that all works out for you. I hate reading about bad deals. I know they happen, but I would love to see this end well.:wave:

• Members

Backer - Hard to say at this point whether you're dealing with an irresponsible jerk, or a thief...but it's got a bad smell to it. Either way, just for your protection you might want to do a little research with the Ky. Office of the Attorney General (internet fraud), http://ag.ky.gov/

Also, the Louisville Metro Police Dept., Financial Crimes Unit, 502-574-7660. They also have a Fraud Squad...502-574-7045.

Hopefully, your guy has a good reason for the non-communication and things will work out...never hurts to have a back-up plan, though. Good luck, bro.

• Members

I hope this works out.

I have to ask. If he was a noob, why did you send him your guitar without him sending his?

I always agree to ship on same day and exchange trk # that day. This gives you a couple days to cancel shipment if the trade gets fishy.