Creepy sounds/horror music

• Members

I love that stuff. The mood. Creepy insect noises and spooky scratching sounds. Horror music in general. Check out the soundtrack to 'the Amityville horror'. It's beautifull! That's what I'm talking about!

Which one of theese would be best for composing horror music:

YAMAHA DX7 - I figured that the DX7 might be good, since it's from the 80's when all those cool sheesy horror themes were made. And from what I've heard, the DX7 was used alot for soundtrack in the 80's.

KORG WAVESTATION EX - I've heard that it should be good for creepy sounds etc. but I really don't know...

ROLAND XP30 - It's the synth that I want the most (along with the DX7) so I hope that it's good at this...

I'm open for other suggestions though. What's your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Christoffer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's mostly knowing how to program. A majority of the DX7 patches are keyboards, mallets and bell sounds. Go to vintage synth.com and search for john carpenter and you'll come up with a list of what he used and the wavestation is one of them (I think).

So it's a case of how you use it over what you have. A basic soundtrack can be written with the xp30's orchestra card. But for weird creepy stuff I'd suggest sampling. When I was doing work for 6 flags and their haunted houses I had to rely on quite a few sample CDs to get some niche sounds that I mixed with music.

• Members

evolver is GREAT for this kind of thing. Im going to have to upload this one sequence I made.

just route 1 triangle LFO to feedback frequency and another triangle LFO to feedback level, throw in a crap ton of delay and you're done :)

be careful with your monitors though :D

• Members

Almost any synth/sampler/rompler will be able to do a nice line in spooky/creepy/horror stuff. Even the simplest of free softsynths could do the job. Like a few have already suggested, effects will be as important as the synth, especially reverb/delays.

The dx7 can do some really wacky stuff, but its a bitch to program, not a synth i could or would easily recommend to anyone, even with its twentyten zillion sounds available to download on the net.

I second the wavestation though, its presets will be a good starting point for further editing and of course, lots of multi fx already onboard. The wavestation was used in so many adverts, games and films over the years, and for good reason, it is chock a block full of moody evolving atmospheric drones and sequences.

• Members

I think your best bet would be a K2000RS. It's hard not to get creppy sounds out of that thing. The best part is they're cheap... Dead cheap... like $250, and they have a sampler. Get one and imagine it's 1993 or something and your the proud new owner of a $3000 machine, the creme de la creme.

I'd also look into Reaktor sessions, Guitar Center might still be blowing it out for $99, and theres some ensembles on the Native Instrument web site specifically designed for that type of thing, even alot of the ones that aren't will be even better for it.

You can pretty much get horror/F-ed up creaking , moody, off-putting sounds form most synths, but some synths definitely excell at it. The K2000 synths are excellent at it. I had micro-q for awhile and found it more than capable of surreal Dario Argento type musical murder, but the K2000 is better, or at least it was for me.

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

Yeah but you're not supposed to use Zynaddsubfx for Satanic music.

paganism and satanism have nothing common, except that ppl are mistaking them with each other. :)

• Members

You can take the "scariest" sound in the world and write a lovely romantic piece with it. You can take the "prettiest" sound in the world and write a horrifying shock piece with it. Sound has very little to do with emotion in music. It's your writing that does.

The scariest music I know is by Arnold Schoenberg. I don't mean that sarcastically. For example, the work of his disciple Anton Webern is very peaceful, pastoral and even cheerful in spite of it's strict 12-tone scheme. Webern liked to write literally on top of a mountain. He liked to write in nature. Whereas Schoenberg was haunted by many fears. One of his strongest pieces is "A Survivor From Warsaw" about the Nazis invading Poland. Listen to "Pierrot Lunaire" "Erwartung" or "Five Pieces for Orchestra". His music is full of the strongest visceral horror. And he did that with sweet strings and clarinet.

So pick any synth. Use your emotion. Use your compositional skills and you can scare the hell out of anybody. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

You can take the "scariest" sound in the world and write a lovely romantic piece with it. You can take the "prettiest" sound in the world and write a horrifying shock piece with it. Sound has very little to do with emotion in music. It's your writing that does.

I agree in general, but for true masters of sound design (Aphex Twin springs to mind), an ambient pad alone can be surprisingly disturbing.

Archived