semi OT - Choosing a stereo compressor

• Members

Preferably a desktop unit, though I'm not totally against going rack, if it's worth it. The unit will go at the end of a ridiculous chain of effects that includes a Kaoss pad, 3 Air FX and several guitar multi-effect pedals. I've been looking at the Samson C-com 16 and C-com opti, which seem to be almost the same unit but for some differences in the display (3 led meters in the 16, 1 VU meter in the opti). I was just about to buy an Alesis Nanocompressor, because it seems like a good deal, but I reconsidered because I got that last minute 'you get what you pay for' feeling...it is pretty much the cheapest compressor you can get, right alongside the ModFX "Smashup"($30-$50). The Samson units have a more confident price tag, ($99)and are cooler/stronger/better looking, so that's what I'm presently leaning towards. I also don't really know much about compressors, just that I need one to make some of my mixes sound the way I want them to, so hopefully the 16 presets will help me to better understand the whole compression thing...unless someone here can put it into really easy to understand kindergarten language...

• Members

samson, alesis, behringer etc are total crap. just get a FMR Audio RNC stereo compressor, and be done with it.

it works great on synths, gits, mixes etc. worth several times more money than it sells for. has standard comp and lim modes and great 'supernice' mode for overal 2-mix mastering-style un-obstrusive stereo compression - ideal for the end of a complicated chain..

check more at:

www.mercenaryaudio.com

proclaimed best transparent comp under $1500. it retails for $200. nuff said..

ciao

• Members

The various Alesis nano units have horrible qaulity pots in them. Went thru 3 nanoverbs yrs ago cause of that. Pots go scratch & fail real easy.

Uses & prefers Behringer autocom pro comps myself. One on my little stereo monitor rig (pair peavey minx 110's). One on my living room stereo system to even out volume levels on action movies etc.

• Members

If you're going to spend a couple hundred, get an Analogman BiCompressor. It's modelled after the vintage grey Ross Compressors and is easily the best out there IMO (for guitar at least).

It's a very warm sounding compressor and has extremely nice components. Built like a tank too. There's a couple month long waiting list though.

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

I plan to purchase two emperical labs distressors in a not soo distant future....

hehe that's nice, altough somehow i feel that's not exactly the price range Warpsmasher was aiming for.. :D

i mean its a great high end piece of equipment, but imo its makes sense only if all other elements in the recording chain are of the same or similar quality.

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

I plan to purchase two emperical labs distressors in a not soo distant future....

Congrats, but I hope that isn't for stereo applications.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Understood, it has the stereo link mod.

That said, the consensus on said mod (and the Distressor itself) is that it is poor for stereo applications where one is critical about matching between channels.

But don't take my word for it...search rec.audio.pro, the Gearslutz forums, and talk to dealers who aren't just gear pimps, and see what they have to say about it.

So, can it do stereo? Yep. Would you want to slap them on a 2-bus? No.

cheers,

aeon

Archived