• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

Emu has some of the {censored}tiest drivers there is.

Well that makes me feel even better. As a rebate, I'll get another heap of {censored}e. ;)

I've actually been thinking about selling it right after I get the replacement. It'd be all shiny and new, boxed, then I could resell it for close to the same price. What would you recommend I get? I want sound quality and stability (on a PC) period. Hit me with it!

M-Audio, Hammerfall, MOTU, Tascam??

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

Regarding the quality of your mixes, what are you using for monitors?

Genelec 1029's. I don't think it's the monitors. It might be room acoustics. I think the room might emphasize mids, so in the actual mixes they're lacking. But then it could also be mixing/mastering skills, or the soundcard.

• Members

The EMU/Creative cards load software onto the DSP every time Windows boots. So, it is quite possible that your drivers are still the cause. The only way you could tell for sure, is probably to do a complete reinstall of Windows. (Not an upgrade.) Seems like maybe one of the driver files could be damaged, and not getting replaced when you reinstall the drivers. I doubt that the card itself is damaged.

I can recommend some audio interfaces, how much are you willing to spend?

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

The EMU/Creative cards load software onto the DSP every time Windows boots. So, it is quite possible that your drivers are still the cause. The only way you could tell for sure, is probably to do a complete reinstall of Windows. (Not an upgrade.) Seems like maybe one of the driver files could be damaged, and not getting replaced when you reinstall the drivers. I doubt that the card itself is damaged.

I can recommend some audio interfaces, how much are you willing to spend?

Reinstalling Windows is such a bitch man. That means I'll have to re-install all my frickin' software and whatnot, and a rebate is just a lot easier for me to do.

I'm willing to spend around 700-800 euro on an audio card, but I could stretch it to a 1000, if I lengthen my "no-music-making" -period and save me some mou dough.

I know Tascam has a good rep in audio products, so the FW 1804 is tempting. The MOTU 828 Mk II also seems good, but I heard rumours that some peeps have had problems wit it. I don't want anymore problems.

• Members

Do you have another computer handy that you could slap that board & some minimal software into? If it still sucked on the other computer also then you could be pretty sure it's the board's fault. If it sounded Ok on it then you'd know it's worth the trouble of a complete reinstall.

• Members

That's a good idea. Throw it in another PC for a minute.

I've never had a problem with a MOTU product. I have them at work, and I know several people that have them in their studios. They sound excellent, and their drivers work well. (at least I haven't run into any problems)

The Lynx L22 has some of the best converters around. It's probably the best sounding board there is that doesn't cost several thousand. I'd recommend this board too.

I just got my Scope card, so when I set it up tonight, I can give you some thoughts on it. From what I've heard/read, it's a really nice card. (I payed around $700 for it with the "Plus" IO board.)

For lower cost options, the Delta 1010s are pretty decent. They sound good, their drivers work pretty well. (they had some problems when I had mine, but they were all worked out shortly after)

• Members

I'd say send it back fro a new one and sell it.

Doesn't sound like you were very happy with it, and I think if you can drop about $700 on a soundcard... go for it.

I have a MOTU 828mk2, and mine was one of the very first shipments. To this day I have never had any problems with it regarding audio quality or anything. It works very well, the only thing is... and this might turn you off... is, as I hear, the first few shipments, the LCD's weren't so good, and some of them went out. Mine is actually VERY dim at the moment...

however, you can completely control it via software that it comes with, or a fader box or whatever you have, so unless you plan on using the display (which I haven't ever used), just something to check up about.

• Members

The EMU/Creative cards load software onto the DSP every time Windows boots. So, it is quite possible that your drivers are still the cause.

I would agree. I can't imagine that the sound card hardware could be damaged due to plug-in software.

• Members

Wow, that is really strange. Well, at least you have a nice fresh install of Windows now. :) I think you'll really like the L22. I know a few people that have them, and I have one at work.

Guest Anonymous

Anything from MOTU, Lynx, Creamware (just got my Scope card,) and RME are nice. Some of the M-Audio boards are nice, but I prefer MOTU and Lynx.

motu's hardware quality is uneven. i've had to return a few of my audio interfaces for repair/exchange. i'm on my second 1224, and some of the inputs are already messed up, requiring half-inserts or jiggles to get the sound.

i'm tempted to get them all replaced and then sell the lot, but then i'd have to rethink my whole damn studio.

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

the software crashing could have been a symptom of the hardware failing and not the other way around.

+1

In fact, I would say that, if there is in fact a hardware problem, that is what caused the software crash. There is NO situation that I can think of where the software could be responsible for breaking hardware like a sound card.

The problem might be due to a cheap or dodgy power supply.

Archived