WTB: Cheap Telecaster

PurpleTeabag

• Members

Don't know, but I've read some pretty glowing reviews. Surely, there's some cost-cutting somewhere...but the consensus seems to be that the quality is better than the SX line, and the pickups and electronics are better than most Squiers.

I'm actually in the exact boat you are - I'd ideally prefer a CV tele, but damn do those seem to retain their value. I've seen them go for $250 beat to hell.

• Members

listen guys, I'll tell you exactly what to do. Go to about 4-6 chain music stores and try every affinity tele you can find. These are seriously good guitars, not just for the money. They play just as well as classic vibes, better than most MIM, with the only downside being they don't look fancy. If you try a bunch you will definitely find one that speaks to you unless you are a brand snob!

I also hear your previous criticisms of the squier/affinity strats -- they are much worse guitars and more toys, there is no comparison to affinity teles, they are real guitars.

I ignored them every time I saw them for a long time, except once I ended up trying every tele in guitar center that was under 700 or so -- other than the walnut 72 tele deluxe reissue, it was the best playing and most authentic tele sounding there, totally obliterating the MIM and soundly beating the classic vibes. I bought that and I play it every day now. After checking out a few more stores I found a black one that plays just as well but has an even better looking and feeling neck.

some more reading:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/179460-club-affinity.html

Archived