Mr. Bryce...or anyone: No Mono Andromeda?

• Members

Originally posted by rjx

I just found this on google, and now I am in tears of what could have been.

That's not it...too many knobs.

The display was centered on the one we did as well.

I'm guessing someone had some fun with Photoshop...

dB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

If I'm not mistaken, Ben posts here from time to time. If that's who it is, he also posts on the AH list infrequently.

I remember I new of a ben in the synth division, he serviced my moog mg-1 for me. couldve been more than one ben though.

• Members
Originally posted by sizzlemeister

If I'm not mistaken, Ben posts here from time to time. If that's who it is, he also posts on the AH list infrequently.

Probably. He posts in the KC here and there as well. I forget his nom de forum, but it's some kind of insect...

He's a really good guy. :cool:

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

That's not it...too many knobs.

The display was centered on the one we did as well.

I'm guessing someone had some fun with Photoshop...

dB

Whooops

I found it on http://www.stucki.com/krhen/downloads/aurora/

Had I looked around further, I would had noticed "Just for fun: The Mythical Alesis Andromeda A6 Rack!"

Are there any sites that you know of that has pics of the design you worked on?

• Members

Probably. He posts in the KC here and there as well. I forget his nom de forum, but it's some kind of insect...

He's a really good guy.
:cool:

dB

Absolutely! Every time he posts, which isn't very often, it's full of lots 'o nuggets of great info.

• Members

Did you ever get to see the designs? It was really great...

:confused: No, never saw the design and never knew a rackmount was officially in the works!

One of the first things I noticed when I popped the hood on my beta unit was the fact that the boards were conveniently ready to fit a 19" rack.

The big key in how we got it to fit into 5 spaces was one set of envelope controls with toggle for VCO, VCF and VCA...one set of filter controls with toggle for 2 pole/4 pole...and one set of osc controls with toggle for osc1 and osc2.
:cool:

The back was also angled so it could be a desktop unit.

:(

*knees go weak*

Now I understand why you said "don't get me started"

It hurts to know this was sooooo close to making it out the door. Oh I would've enjoyed beta testing that as much as I did the Andromeda...

Wow, imagine the power in a compact rack containing a rack A6 and an RME Voyager :cool::cool::cool:

• Members
Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Why was a monophonic Andromeda never put out? In a micron body? With 1000 presets, and a computer editor?
:o

Are you serious? How many do you think they could possibly sell?

I was surprised that Dave Smith did the mono Evolver, to be honest.

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Are you serious? How many do you think they could possibly sell?

But the mono Evolver hasn't got a keyboard....yet!

At least there is a chance of a MEK appearing as DSI are still developing the synth. The same unfortunately can't seem to be said about Alesis producing a MA6.

• Members

There was period where I was considering working for Gibson

i'm very glad that you ran the other way.

it would be a shame to see you sued into oblivion by Henry for getting fired from Gibson for doing a good job.

at least it seems like that's the chain of action over there in looney-ville.

• Members
Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Actually, we've sold a whole bunch of those little guys. They still sell really well.

I bought mine about a year before I started working for Dave...the VS wave set is what did it for me (I have a VS rack that I love to bits).

Originally posted by Mookus

But the mono Evolver hasn't got a keyboard....yet!

I think it'd be great if Dave decides to do that. I'm certainly doing my best to encourage him...

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

i'm very glad that you ran the other way.

Me, too... :eek::rolleyes::eek:

dB
DSI

• Members

Development cost would have been so low, it was almost a no brainer!

Actually, if such a thing were to have been designed, it probably would have been duophonic - each Andy VCO and VCF ASIC do two voices.

dB

• Members

Actually, if such a thing were to have been designed, it probably would have been duophonic - each Andy VCO and VCF ASIC do two voices.

dB

Ah! I had seen/heard there were 16 ASICs, I assumed 1 per voice. Its 2 per 2 voice though, 1 for VCO and 1 for VCF (in addition to other things maybe). OK got it. :)

• Members

Ah! I had seen/heard there were 16 ASICs, I assumed 1 per voice. Its 2 per 2 voice though, 1 for VCO and 1 for VCF (in addition to other things maybe).

Exactly.

Each Andy has 8 VCO ASICS, 8 VCF ASICs.

dB

• Members

an Andromeda rack would be a great idea, 8 or 16 voices, i'd buy that in a snap. of course this would imply continuance of OS development and making some thing s better for the A6 itself. like seq/arp midi note output, better sync to ext clock etc..

that is very logical and would not require much additional RnD..

but i think there's another product that would really be killer that presents itself as a posibilty from the introduction of Fusion and all technology Alesis has today:

take Fusion digital oscillator engine - with some limited Rompling (or wavetabling), and all its VA, PM and FM capabilities. now limit the polyphony to 16 voices, in favor of greatest possible DSP horsepower per note (ION idea taken further), then use some great D/A converters from fusion , and run signal into Andromeda filter system (8 VCF ASIC for 16 voices) , together with all other analog stuff - ring mod, filter feedback etc, matrix mod. analog-style sequencer and arpeggiator could stilll happen at osc sound generating level - meaning digital - but with option to run any of its digital "CV" signals to analog components as well. like Andromeda has.

all technology is already there...

it would be a Q+/Wave on steroids. just imagine FM, PM, VA and ROMpling thru these fantastic MOOG and SEM recreations plus all the mod matrix wizardry from A6...

it could very well turn out the greatest hybrid instrument of all time.. :cool:

well, one can dream can he? :D

• Members

Most of the market is convinced that there's no difference between VA and RA (real analog). Or if they suspect a difference, they're not willing to pay the 4x - 20x price premium to get the real thing.

I personally think an 8-voice Andy would be killer, even if they took off 1/2 the knobs. A modern-day Juno 106, only with VCOs. :)

Oh well, Bryce, they killed my digital mixer before it saw daylight, too. It was so cool: all the knobs in the center section were motorized, and they snapped into place when you selected a channel...

• Members

Quote by synthetic88:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most of the market is convinced that there's no difference between VA and RA (real analog). Or if they suspect a difference, they're not willing to pay the 4x - 20x price premium to get the real thing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt that, at least your first sentence. Maybe some geeks that hang out at Guitar Center might not recognize the difference, but most players that are serious hang out on these forums and get the pros and cons of VA's and RA's.

VA's have made dramatic improvements and I think even further enhancements are forthcoming. I have owned, and still own a number of vintage analog boards and they still have an overall more gutsy sound and are more powerful sonically. However, I also own an ION and that is a pretty amazing little synth considering the price.

Anyone on a budget would do well to get a VA, but VA's aren't going to replace RA's any time soon.

Mike T.

• Members

I don't know, I really think RA is basically a niche market. VA is cheaper, more reliable, and "good enough" for live or 44.1kHz/16bit CD's.... Sure, you can tell the difference over good monitors, and maybe even at CD quality if it's not buried in a mix, but....

Don't get me wrong, if I had the cash, I'd have a beautiful analog modular, but for most practical applications it just doesn't make that much sense to spend the extra dough.

Kiru

• Members

My point was, if I'm a synth company out to make a buck, I'm goint to develop VAs. I'll do more volume, get a return on my investment quicker, they're easier to build and I can sell tonnage on the floor of GC. Like you said, RA is a niche market, like high-end monitors, mic pres, etc.

That said, look at the difference between the guitar market and the synth market. There are many high-end niche guitars and amps out there. Of course, guitars generally outsell keyboards by a huge margin, so there are room for more manufacturers and models. But it's just not fair. :(

• Members

Look at all the RA offerings of modulars and monosynths offered by Technosaurus, Moog, MOTM, Buchla, Future Retro, Macbeth, Modusonics, Oakley, Modcan, Studio Electronics, Jomox, Cyndustries, Doepfer, Analogue Systems, Wiard, Blacet, PAiA, Serge, Synthesizers.com, Analogue Solutions and tell me again that it's a niche market.

VA is cheaper and more reliable, but the list of companies making RAs tells me there is a healthy demand for RA.

Archived