Back to Basics: Lessons to improve Technique

• Members

Well here I am, at 35, looking on various local musicans sites to contact someone for keyboard lessons. And I don't even know where to begin.

I've always been an average musician with good instincts. At 5 I taught my self Beautiful Dreamer with the help of my mom, a little electric accordian organ and sheet music by the numbers. At 8, I took up trumpet, and spent the next 10 years in various lessons, playing a lot (in various jazz and concert bands,) practicing little (my lesson stuff at least) and learning quickly that I picked up music much easier by listening than by sight reading. When I was 15, I had 9 or 10 formal lessons on piano. It was all basic, with standard scale stuff. About the only thing I remember 20 years later is how to "roll" my fingers while playing a scale, and "Minuet in G". Deep in my formative teen years and already on a healthy diet of Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath I quickly outgrew clicking to a metronome and trying to prepare for a beginner's piano recital. But I never outgrew playing.

In college I bought my first synth (a DW8000), played synth in a band and had access to plenty of grand pianos and practice rooms (my college had a healthy music program). At that point and from then on, every thing I learned was from watching other people and listing to music, deconstructing the parts in my head.... getting things right 85% of the time. Most of what I could play were basic chord changes, simple arpeggios and phrasings and inversions, but it worked for the style of rock music my band played. I also developed some pretty (what I see as) bad habits. For instance, I've been locked in this box where my left hand plays octaves (on the root) and my right hand plays through basic triad chords and meledy lines. It's worked great for playing stuff like Journey, Whitesnake and Van Halen, and in particular, the moody and atmospheric soundtrack stuff I write, however I really want more out of my playing style and ability.

Most of the way I learn is through deconstruction and repetition. Luckily I have solid pitch and an ability to almost see notes as they are played. I'm great at mimicing. My weakness is in sightreading, phrasing and scales. As most of you know I play keys and guitar in an 80's Tribute band. We cover everything from hard rock to new wave to dance funk and disco. Since I play with some blistering good players I can concentrate more on filling in dynamics than playing true keyboard parts. I'm not looking to be a lounge pianist, and I'm not looking to be Rick Wakeman either. However, I would like to understand and improve my technique to point my fingers can play, what my mind already understands what to do. Should I commit to meeting with someone every two weeks or so to get at a least a foundatation.I'd like to explore other avenues in rock and jazz, however I'm wondering whether my lack of formal training on piano will hold me back or worse, prevent me from finding a teacher who will work with me. Looking for a teacher, who should I look for and where should I start?Or... should rely on instructional videos and the internet to get me to the next step.

In which direction do I continue?

• Members

I come from a similar background as far as formal training (none) and sightreading (poor). Luckily, I've found some good jazz teachers who have been able to help me improve my technique and work on sightreading. It's definitely worth it if you can find a good teacher. I'd look for someone who is out performing in the area and talk to them at a gig. I've lived in a few different parts of the country and I've always been able to find a decent teacher this way.

• Members

Have you considered the Hanon exercises?

This is what both my mother-in-law (full-time piano teacher) and Chuck Leavell on his DVD recommend.

But don't go by me, I lost interest after about the third exercise!

:)

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

Have you considered the Hanon exercises?

This is what both my mother-in-law (full-time piano teacher) and Chuck Leavell on his DVD recommend.

But don't go by me, I lost interest after about the third exercise!

:)

Hmmmmm.... No, but I'll check it out!;)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Hmmmmm.... No, but I'll check it out!
;)

I would definitely recommend a teacher. I am 38 and like you I learned mostly on my own. In the process there as some things I just learnt the wrong way because there was no one to guide me. Even though you might get good mileage from books and videos, nothing beats a real teacher who knows how to teach and the personal interaction with your tutor can be very rewarding which you won't ever get from a book or video.

I have gotten myself a teacher and it was only then I realized how messed up I was, but very grateful I had some who could straighten me out and help make into a a better player. One of my few regrets in life and I don't have many is that I started out late very late in music. I have always loved music but never really got to playing until in my thirties so you can just imagine where I am coming from. Yes I have dabbled but the opportunity just wasn't there.

Anyway this post is not about me so as I said before get a teacher, use books and video if you have access to them but get a teacher. I find some of the books and videos frustrating as they show you what to do, but they don't explain why so at the end the light is still somewhat dark.

• Members

Well I will give you some simple things. Learn some scales, they really help your soloing. Take four keys; AMaj, Fm, CMaj and Ebm. Practice them four octaves about 10 to 11 times. You want to get up to about 100bpm by using a metronome. Anyway if you take 20 minutes and do that with no messing around inbetween you will have done a lot. Managing your time is the easiest way to get better. This book;MacFarren Scale and Arpeggio Manual for the Piano helped me a lot.

http://www.sheetmusicco.com/pianoguitar/classicalpiano.html

It has all the fingerings and minor and enharmonic minor, thirds and sixes techniques. Practice them in 3 octaves in triplets also. It will help immensley.

• Members

Thisfor all great info!! Thanks. Yesterday I made contact with a well known local session player/teacher. He says he has openings and he comes highly recommended.

I'm not expecting to become advanced litterally overnight... but I've come this far with really no lessons at all. I'm sure with the right instructor I can meet some goals.

• Members

If you are into Blues N Jazz, you might want to try out Blues Piano by Tim Richards. I have a copy of it and it is well written and nicely laid out and if you stick to it you should get good result. It also comes with a CD so you can listen to the examples in the book which helps you to assess your self. It also show you the fingering so you really get the most out of it if you put in the work

• Members

Originally posted by aztechno

I'm curious as to how much teachers charge...anyone have a ballpark number?

Mine charges $119.00 for 12weeks, one class per week, duration 1hr, however I always end up getting a minimum of 2hrs for each lesson and sometimes as much as 3hrs.

Archived