What are your opinions on Larraviee Guitars?

Symmetry2170

• Members

Specifically the D-60 if any of you have any experience with it. I played one at Willcutt Guitars in Lexington, KY over the weekend and I really meshed with it. It has the bass and boom of a Martin and the chime and sparkle of a Taylor, IMO. Killer finish and feel to the entire guitar. Was on sale for $2099 from $2675. Amazing deal.

Definitely considering this as my acoustic guitar as I have an old Ibanez that I'd like to put away for sentimental reasons.

What more can you guys tell me about Larraviee? Are they lifetime keepers? Do they hold up well over time? Things like that, basically.

• Members

Larrivee good, if not GREAT KEEPER guitars. All solid wood, and quality sound even from the lower end 03 models up to the same guitar in say a model 10...just more bling.
Lari was doing great until they took a LOT of price increases and basically their "value" was not as great in terms of what they used to cost vs other guitars that were that well constructed.
I have owned several and always got my $$ when I sold them. There are several online dealers that will sell them at 40 off, so do your homework and get a great guitar at a great price.
:thu:

PS, as other suggested, you also might want to check out the Larrivee forum for their thoughts...am sure you will get some LONG opinions there, mostly favorable.
Also, Sam Ash has stopped selling Larrivee, and they had a lot of them in most stores. You can probably negotitate a REAL DEAL if you go in armed with that info that they want to unload them.

• Members

I agree with your take on the sound. I had a D-60 way back when they were closer to $1200. I pretty much sold it because it was too loud for a strummer and stayed with more tame Larrivees. Agree also with the current poor cost-value of Larrivees. For $2000 range I'd rather get a Martin jumbo.

Definitely a keeper if it fits your taste of sound. My one acoustic that I've held onto the longest (and will forever) is a Larrivee DV-03 (V for cutaway).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Have owned several, D02, D03, L03, J09...best of lot was the J09 model..so higher end models are great..although the D02 played better..never should have sold it!

Only knock on them now..is high prices especially on eBay and they don't hold up on the road at all... very delicate.

Great guitars, over priced now......most of tem I've seen for resale have top cracks , mostly below bridge..gotta take proper care of them..thats why they don't hold up on the road.

Good luck..

reliablefender5

Archived