OT: eBay Blues

RockXtreme

• Members

I had been watching this Korg CX3 on ebay for 10 days. It was a 10 day auction and it did not receive a single bid.

These keys list for $2400 and can be purchased on sale for $1800.

The going used rate for them used is between $1200 and $1300.

This one had a flight case ($200 value) plus an expression pedal ($60) value plus other goodies.

It had an opening bid price of $899 with no reserve.

The auction ended at 1:00AM. I stayed up late to bid on it.

I check at 12:45 and no bids yet

Same at 12:50

At 12:55 somebody jumps the gun and bids $910

At 12:57 somebody bids $920

I am willing to $1100 to $1200 for this.

I wait until 12:59 get my bid all set up for the submit button

At 12:59:30 I go to place my bid

At that very instant the power in my house goes out:mad:

UN-FREAKKING-BELIEVEABLE

The power goes back on 1 minute later...when I log in I see that the winning bid was $980.....*sigh*

I just had to vent and share my frustration with someone...

• Members

That REALLY sux. 980 bucks for a CX-3 with a flight case is a steal. I just checked the auction. Some SERIOUS gashes in the unit. Anyone that could put those kinda gashes in an instrument wasn't being careful, or was having someone else handle it that didn't care. I wouldn't cry too much, there'll be others. I've seen MINT CX-3's go for slightly more money, but would be worth it.

I got a system hang when I submitted a bid hoping to score at the last minute. Pissed me off. When I was able to get back on {censored}ing EVILBay (I HATE EBay and Pay Pal) the unit I wanted to bid on was sold to someone that's bid was lower than what I was going to bid.

A UPS wouldn't have helped me in that instance, but it's a great thing to have.

Mike T.

• Members

Since the unit had 0 bids I thought I could steal it cheap at the last minute. I guess other people had the same idea.

In retrospect I should have just put a larger max bid on the unit and let the chips fall where they may. Guess I outsmarted myself.

A UPS would not have helped me. I have a Satellite internet connection and all of the electronics for that would have had to have been on UPS as well.

I noticed the chips on the unit. They did appear to be from shipping as the buyer stated. As long as the electronics worked I could have lived with the dents.

• Members

Yeah, it sucks that the power went out, it's actually kinda funny now, what a coincidence. I always think the same is gonna happen to me when i try to snatch something in the last minute. What can i tell you, maybe now you can buy something else or just wait till this comes back. I always snipe or else i get outbidded, don't worry, ebay is big and you'll find something next time.

• Members

I would not lose sleep over missing that CX-3. I had also been looking at it based on the low price. A couple of things worth mentioning - that road case was not a $200 case - it was one of the mass-produced $79 deals that are all over eBay. Also, the CX-3 comes packaged with an expression pedal, so that's not an extra either. Considering the cosmetic damage, I think it sold for what it is worth. There have been plenty of them in the $1k range and I even saw one a couple of months ago for $1100 with a bonafide heavy-duty flight case.

One thing to remember about eBay is that no matter how rare something looks and how good of a deal it seems to be, there will always be another one coming along.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Actually it's even better that you didn't buy it. I just checked sonicstate.com and the average price for it is $472. So if you wait a while, you can find it at much lower price. Who needs cases anyway, unless you travel alot. My advice is to wait a while and see how much they actually sell for.

• Members

Originally posted by RockXtreme

Since the unit had 0 bids I thought I could steal it cheap at the last minute.

Regardless of the various theories on the effectiveness of sniping the ammount something is bid to before the end of the auction doesn't seem to be a very good metric for the "activity" surrounding an auction of this type - the number of views/hits is probably at least a little better of a metric

The bidding curve on competitive items is usually pretty steep these days

• Members

I can tell you the reason. If you are willing to spend $200 for an item and bid early, someone will bid $210. If you bid $100 early, someone will bid $110. Then at the last second you can bid $200 and get the item. You do get better deals by bidding at the last second. The price you pay is loosing out on some bids.

Robert

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

I can tell you the reason. If you are willing to spend $200 for an item and bid early, someone will bid $210. If you bid $100 early, someone will bid $110. Then at the last second you can bid $200 and get the item. You do get better deals by bidding at the last second. The price you pay is loosing out on some bids.

Robert

Exactly!!

I dont know why but Items that start with a high initial bid never seemed to get any action. Ones that start with low bidding seem to attract lots of bids.

In this instance I could have bid my top bid of $1100. Someone may have forced me up to that bid or exceeded it. Since there were no bids until the final 5 minutes I probably could have won this for $1000 to $ 1025 if I did not lose my connection.

GCDEF, can you point me to some sniping software? It would save me the hassle of staying up late for late night bids...

• Members

Sniping doesnt mean jack!

If you already KNOW your maximum amount that you are willing to pay, then BID that.

If you dont win, move on to the next auction. If your worried about snipers, then bid HIGHER.

Yes, one can snipe, but if they dont know what YOUR maximum bid is, then they are basically shooting blind and hoping they sniped higher than your bid.

Software wont save you because of that simple fact.

• Members

Originally posted by RockXtreme

At 12:59:30 I go to place my bid

At that very instant the power in my house goes out:mad:

UN-FREAKKING-BELIEVEABLE

The power goes back on 1 minute later...when I log in I see that the winning bid was $980.....*sigh*

Dude I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe... I wouldn't be laughing if it was me, that's for sure, though. It is pretty sucky... but on the other hand, bear in mind that other opportunities will arise. :)

Kiru

• Members

The average price for the CX-3s are mixed because of the old analog version with no midi and limited leslie sim versus the new digital version (especially with 2.0 or higher software). The old vintage models go for $400 to $450.

Average new price is $1800 with good used ones going for $1200.

I was not upset so much at loosing the sale, another one will always come around, it was purely the frustration of having my last minute snipe foiled by the power company...Plus I stayed up half the night just to place my bid....

There is another one ending in 2 days. $850 starting bids with zero bids placed so far. Looks like another sniping adventure to come...

Archived