New Release Coming from Kate Bush!

felix

• Members

Saw this on Side-Line today:

EMI Records has announced the release of the brand new studio album by Kate Bush. The double album entitled "Aerial" will be released worldwide on November 7th (November 8th in the USA). The first single "King Of The Mountain" precedes the album on October 24th. Both the single and album have been produced by Kate Bush.

Cool, it's been a while!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the new single gets played on the BBC in a few days... this is the most excited I've been about a record in a long time! Have any of you ever seen her videos? They're INCREDIBLE. I think Kate is really THE defining artist of the last 25 years or so... just one of the most creative and expressive musicians and performers. What's happened to music lately? Where are the foward looking artists like Kate? I really miss having great music come out. Is she really going to collaborate with Outkast?!?

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

You haven't spent any energy looking for new music? Music today is just as good as it ever was. The difference is the radio doesn't play what's good anymore like it used to.

Exactly. Nowadays the only ways to hear all the good stuff are: a) used CD's b) in concert c) samples of tracks via the internet

This last one gets more important every year.

BUT at least in every large city there should be at least one or two radio stations that DO play good music all the time. Here in Los Angeles they are mostly public radio stations on the left side of the dial (;))...KCRW, KXLU, KUSC and of course Pacifica's KPFK which still plays more world music than anyone else. KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" is a must listen. Because of them, for the last twenty years I was listening and raving about Coldplay, Suzanne Vega, Cocteau Twins, etc. before their first albums were even released (KCRW gets demo copies ahead of time!) And every morning from 11:30 to noon a live act! :)

I also have a personal connection with KPFK and KCRW, as they have played music of both my late father and even a couple of albums that I produced back in the day. You can still walk right into their stations and hand them your CD and they will listen to it and maybe play it. Good folks there! :)

But back to Kate Bush...GOD BLESS HER!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by felix

New double-cd out on Tuesday. Several positive reviews already posted, but I haven't found sound clips yet...

Yup, a double CD, apparently 5 years in the making/recording. Eagerly anticipated is an understatement.

I hope it lives up to our expectations and is a success.Maybe we wont have to wait 12 years for the next one. ;)

:cool:

• Members

any ideas on why she (or whoever) decided to make the thing a double album? for those that don't know, the album is just about 80 minutes. it *could* have been trimmed down 30 seconds or so, so i don't think that's the issue. on the other hand, i wouldn't think this would be some sort of ploy for getting out of a contract or boosting apparent sales. i mean, if that were the case, she'd release crap albums instead of working for years on something good.

i haven't gotten a good chance to listen yet. just a few songs when i was getting ready this morning. (i always forget to load things onto my player. one of the downsides of an mp3 player.)

for the past couple years that i've been listening to kate bush, i've only really liked the early stuff. (never for ever and the kick inside, actually.) just started trying out stuff later than that again. maybe i'm ready for it now. :)

• Members

Never heard Kate Bush until recently I acquired a cassette of "The Dreaming" for 50c.... :eek::freak::love:

I was totally blown away by it. The songwriting is so moving and involved, I can ignore the extremely questionable a) 'world music vibe', b) lukewarm synth pads/embarassingly dated drum machine textures. What incredible production for 1982! The use of massive early 80's digital flange on the vocals in a few sections is even....(dare I say it?) tasteful. Songs like "Get Out of My House" with the layers and choruses of pitch shifted voices is just unreal. It hasn't left my cars tape deck since, and gets more involved with every listen.

It also made me immediately apparent how many of the "individualistic female singer-songwriters" of the 80's-90's totally ripped off her schtick, the result of which probably totally turned me off her music since my mom took off with my copy of the first Tori Amos album and played it and the others so much I grew to hate that whiney, redundent, albiet talented woman, such that anything reminding me of Tori would be discarded in my musical estimation. Also note I went to high school in San Diego when Jewel "blew up" from the idol of every poetess in my high school to the object of national attention.

So which Kate Bush album should I get next? I'm interested in the more experimental side of her discography, and any notable video/performance collections as well because I heard they were good. But I suppose I am just really into her unique and layered songwriting approach, so what do forumites think are her best albums and why? Tricky said once he considered Kate Bush's albums to be a more important body of work than the Beatles, but then again when I saw Tricky it seemed like he was doing a lot of coke.

Also, is there somewhere online I can listen to a track from her new album? (I know, I'm being lazy here.. hope that wasn't already in the thread...).

Thanks.

Archived