Yamaha P140 for real this time

sevensinner

• Members

The kind of punters who are going to buy this product will not need or use 128 note polyphony... there's no point, as the vast majority of users will not consider it to be benificial to them... they do, afterall, only have 88 keys and 10 fingers.

When you consider the splitting and layering capabilities of the P140, even those who intend to use it professionally will not need anywhere near 128 note poly.

All in all, it's a bit of a waste of time isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

The kind of punters who are going to buy this product will not need or use 128 note polyphony... there's no point, as the vast majority of users will not consider it to be benificial to them... they do, afterall, only have 88 keys and 10 fingers.

When you consider the splitting and layering capabilities of the P140, even those who intend to use it professionally will not need anywhere near 128 note poly.

All in all, it's a bit of a waste of time isn't it?
:rolleyes:

Um - no, it's not, though I have no clue what a "punter" is. An English term, I think... ?? I guess the American equivalent would be a "ham and egger" or a "hack" ??

Anyway -

I use the sustain pedal a lot and by doing so, you run out of polyphony. Not to mention that if they are stereo voices, it's really only 32 note poly. Not to mention that if you layer strings over piano, you then have only 16 note poly - it runs out real quick, dude! And is noticeable if you hold down the sustain a lot and play long runs up and down the keyboard.

:cool:

• Members

Which also makes me wonder what kind of layering these units use in a single note. At least in the ROMplers a stereo voice can use much more than 2 osc's. Same with many samplers. I can easily run GigaStudio up over 90 voices with a sustained 2-hand piano run.

But then, I guess people who consider banging out the background of Bog Seger tunes to be real playing will think more polyphony is a waste.

Robert

• Members

Yamaha also did not upgrade the action, which is kind of disappointing (to me at least). They have their GH3 action installed in the Clavinova 100 series for quite some time now.

Add to that the fact that they cut short the tones list (only 14 available).

Also, I don't know about the midi capabilities of the P-140 compared for example to Roland 300sx, Kawai ES-4, 5...etc. which are in the same price range.

The 64 polyphony is a bummer also...jeez, it's a long list.

So, did the Roland 700/300sx sell that bad? I get the feeling that Yamaha is not trying hard enough.

Best.

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Um - no, it's not, though I have no clue what a "punter" is. An English term, I think... ?? I guess the American equivalent would be a "ham and egger" or a "hack" ??

Anyway -

I use the sustain pedal a lot and by doing so, you run out of polyphony. Not to mention that if they are stereo voices, it's really only 32 note poly. Not to mention that if you layer strings over piano, you then have only 16 note poly - it runs out real quick, dude! And is noticeable if you hold down the sustain a lot and play long runs up and down the keyboard.

punter = customer, general public... sorry :) You're right of course, but look at the majority of people who buy these things:

I was thinking about the hundred or so P120s I must have sold, and the kind of people that bought them. Not ONE of them gave a flying {censored} what the polyphony was, or about any of the other capabilities of the instrument were beyond it feeling and sounding like a piano :)

the stuff they play wouldn't make a cheap casio run out of polyphony. most of the people I will end up selling one of these to, it'll simply be a case of telling them it's better than the old one. They don't need to know why, most of them won't even ask.

there's better things out there for people that want and need them, but the kind of market this instrument is aimed at wouldn't benefit from any of the "wish list" of features listed thus far. If anything, more features they don't need will make it harder for me to get money out of them :cool:

• Members

I'm a pianist and I don't notice or concern myself with the polyphony, the 64 on my FP-2 seems enough to me.

Is it true the P140 has only one pair of Outputs and they are FIXED VOLUME RCA type? And no tone slider? If so I would find having NO Volume control impossible for gigging. And no, I will not use a volume pedal for a digital piano.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz+

I'm a pianist and I don't notice or concern myself with the polyphony, the 64 on my FP-2 seems enough to me.

Is it true the P140 has only one pair of Outputs and they are FIXED VOLUME RCA type? And no tone slider? If so I would find having NO Volume control impossible for gigging. And no, I will not use a volume pedal for a digital piano.

Re: Polyphony

Though it's not horrendous, I definitely notice dropouts when I'm playing my Roland FP-2 - if I have a layer happening: piano w/strings, for example. But as I said, I pedal a lot - maybe more than most players - so my mileage definitely does vary... :D

Re: Fixed Volume RCA Outs

Good call on that, dude - what is that nonsense all about... :eek::confused: !! And I agree - I wouldn't use a volume pedal for a digital piano either. I mean, come on - it's a PIANO! Adding a volume pedal pretty much takes away from the whole piano-like experience - and isn't that the point of a digital piano: to be as "piano-like" as possible?

• Members

This is a really stupid question I know, but I just want to be sure...

When headphones are plugged into the P-140, do the internal speakers cut out (so for example you can practice in a silent room)? I know 99% of devices behave like this, but I don't want to get one and have to snip the wires... No mention in the manual.

Cheers,

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by ChrisFlynn

This is a really stupid question I know, but I just want to be sure...

When headphones are plugged into the P-140, do the internal speakers cut out (so for example you can practice in a silent room)? I know 99% of devices behave like this, but I don't want to get one and have to snip the wires... No mention in the manual.

Cheers,

Chris

Yah, it's gotta be that way - what would be the point of having the headphone jacks? Or maybe there's a little switch that turns the speakers on and off & you'd have to hit that, no big deal. That's how it is on my Roland FP2 - theres a switch.

BTW -

If I were you, I'd start looking at the P120's in the stores - you could get a good deal on a store demo I'll bet, if they're looking to blow them out now that the P140's are here. I don't see that much difference betw. the two models.

• Members

Agree with GigMan...especially after reading the troubleshooting section of the manual. The P120 has a switch that allows the user to control the behavior of the speakers, including when headphones are attached. Additionally, the P140 accepts a stereo mini plug rather than a standard size phone plug.

• Members

Yamaha finally issued its press release on the P140 on September 9th.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/PressReleaseDetail/0,,CNTID%253D61959%2526CTID%253D560001%2526CNTYP%253DNEWS,00.html

Nothing we haven't already heard, but the release does state "The P140 and P140S will be available October 2005, and will replace models P120 and P120S." as the Harmony Central article said several days earlier.

Archived