cheapest 88key controller with realistic action?

Trillian

• Members

OK, I know this subject has been discussed here many times before in different variations.

I am looking for the least expensive 88 key weighted controller I can find. I just want something for rehearsing on a piano-like action.

I have been out to a few music stores and played every weighted keyboard they had.

So far the only decent feeling actions I have experienced are on the Yamaha P60, 90, 120 and 250 and the Roland RD300, 700 and prob one or two other models in the same line.

The Viscount viva88 is cheap, but the action is nowhere near as good as the digi pianos mentioned above.

I don't need any bells and whistles, so I'd just as soon get a p60 as some huge master controller with a zillion knobs I just want something with a decent feel and get it as cheap as possible. (and it must have MIDI out :)

So, is there something out there I should check out or should I just get a used P60 ?

-Sheryl

Guest Anonymous

Hi Sheryl,

Was using an M.Audio Pro 88 recently and although im not best qualified to comment on piano action keyboards ( i still prefer non touch sensitive synth action for synths :) ) the Pro 88 really impressed me, i was told they are great value. I think the one i used was linked up via USB.

If you are going to spend lots of cash, maybe a second hand Gem ProMega 3 or similar? You'll have a great piano sound too.

The big old KX88 can be found cheap but are very heavy.

• Members

Hiya,

Thanks for the input. One other thread on here mentioned the M audio but that it is a very stiff action. I'll have to play one to see for myself. At the moment my ideal is the Yamaha P60,90,120 etc.

I am not a piano player originaly myself and I have small hands and cannot handle a really heavy action, I just want something I can use to rehearse for performances on real pianos or other digital pianos (I want to be able to do some small showcase type gigs at places like the bedford in London, just piano / vocal stuff).

The whole idea is that I don't want to spend lots of dough :)

-Sheryl

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Trillian

Hiya,

Thanks for the input. One other thread on here mentioned the M audio but that it is a very stiff action. I'll have to play one to see for myself. At the moment my ideal is the Yamaha P60,90,120 etc.

I am not a piano player originaly myself and I have small hands and cannot handle a really heavy action, I just want something I can use to rehearse for performances on real pianos or other digital pianos (I want to be able to do some small showcase type gigs at places like the bedford in London, just piano / vocal stuff).

The whole idea is that I don't want to spend lots of dough
:)

-Sheryl

I don't consider myself a true piano player either, but the piano is my most favourite instrument and many songs do start on the piano.

I always prefer synth sounds to be played using fast and lite synth keys, the JX10 being a favourite controller of mine, nice springy action. I'll often just use non touch sensitive keys for synths, but a wonderful piano action would be ideal for some of the excellent multi sampled piano patches today.

I know keyboard players who compose entirely with piano action keys when working with synths, i have no idea how they manage it :)

• Members

Originally posted by Carousel Candy

but a wonderful piano action would be ideal for some of the excellent multi sampled piano patches today.

Yeah, that's my other reason. I plan to get a really good 'virtual piano' of some type in software and start recording some of my piano pieces. I need to check out the NSG bosendorfer and synthology 'ivory'.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Carousel Candy

I don't consider myself a true piano player either, but the piano is my most favourite instrument and many songs do start on the piano.

There's nothing like a really nice grand piano. I played lots of pianos in studios on sessions. My favourite piano sound and action was on a Yamaha hand-built model, I don't remember the model name but it was a few notches above the production models like the C-7 and I think it was under 7 feet but had a wonderful round woody tone and a very precise action with real ivory keytops (or something that is very similar, not like the typical plastic you usually see).

Some steinways I have played sound great but the action is too stiff and is also slightly deeper and it doesn't suit me. There are so many subtle details on a piano action, the weight, the bounce back the squareness of the keys ('don't like real sharp square keys).

-Sheryl

Archived