Reason : Count-in mode?

keyman_sam

• Members

are you sure this feature actually exists?

it might be a bit of a pain, but this functionality is easily simulated with a couple of blank measures in your sequence...reason is cpu-efficient enough to where you could have a dedicated redrum counting off the lead in, and you could swing it if you needed...seems a bit overkill, though.

• Members

A couple of blank measures is how i'm working right now, but i'm not comfortable with those measure numbers.

I'm used to seeing 1-5 9-13 and such. :o

Thanks for the re-drum idea, but i just want a count-in for the sake of not having to deal with those dreaded even numbers.

:eek:

• Members

THANK YOU, good to know I am not the only nut in here who wants to see this implemented as a feature. Many people will say, "Oh just have a blank measure at the beginning and start at the second measure" but they fail to consider that a count-in the way every other damn sequencer program implements it allows you to count-in anywhere in the song, not just in the beginning. This is the main reason why Reason is nothing more than a "doodling" tool for me, and not something I can make serious music on. The fact that I have to start at measure 2, then slide everything over later on is a needless chore. I guess most of the people who use Reason aren't used to real sequencing programs, so to them it's no big deal.

• Members

You don't have to slide anything. You can set your left and right locators, then right click to "add bars between locators", which will insert as many bars as are between the locatorsat the point of the right locator. You can also "remove bars between locators".

Let me make sure I understand the question. Are you just asking for 1 blank bar at the beginning AND for the first bar after the blank to be numbered "1"? You can't do that in 2.5.

Actually, I'd like see the sequencer start at "0" (it's a computer programmer thing). If the Props would do that, we'd both get what we want.

• Members

This is totally ridiculous. A freakin countin is all i'm asking!!! EVERY sequencer has one! even my fantom S has one. it makes life a LOT easier cos its a COUNT-IN!!!

I cant believe props left this out. :mad:

If anyone here is from the props team, please take this into consideration.

Filterenv,

no, i'm not asking for the song to start at 0. When i hit record, i want Reason to give me a 1-bar count-in so that i'm prepared.

Does Reason 3 have it? If it does, then that feature should be implemented to us 2.5ers as a free update.

• Members

I had Reason 1.0 for a while, and ditched it. I found it impossible to program drum beats without a count-in.

I assumed that the feature was there somewhere and that I just couldn't find it. It was unthinkable that a sequencer wouldn't have a count-in. Even my software and hardware sequencers from the 80's had that feature!

• Members

wow, I never realized this feature was so important to people. I just lay a 16th hihat pattern as a metronome template, and have all the countins I need. once your basic drum beat is programmed, use that for the countin instead of the hihat pattern.

keyman_sam, why not just have a few beers and forget about the problem? ;)

• Members

You could turn on "Click", which is on the bottom panel of the sequencer, or you could create 2 Redrum patterns, the first is just hi-hat quarter notes (or even samples of you counting 1,2,3,4), the second would be your real drum pattern. Then automate the Redrum in the sequencer to play pattern 1 for 1 bar and pattern 2 for the rest of the song.

After you've got it set up the way you like, have a beer, then save as your default song so you don't have to set it up again.

Archived