Looking For Marshall JCM 900

ajc690

• Members

Depends on how you have it set up. A clean or eq boost is simply going to drive the preamp harder like you said. But overdrive pedals actually create "distortion" before it hits the amp(unless of course you dial it in as a clean boost only). And unless the pedal is tube. Where do you think that distortion comes from?

Regardless. If it sounds good, it IS good. And the 4100 and 4500 JCM 900's sound very good IMO. Especially the EL34 ones.

+1 :thu:

• Members

i dont see what all the hype about jcm 800 heads is....i played a 50 watt 800 head for years, nothing special, actually kinda shrill to me...not sure what the model number was, it had black tolex,brown grille cloth, hi and low gain inputs, master volume, no reverb...traded it and a matching 212 combo for a line 6 axsys 212 combo with floorboard when they came out( that was really stupid wasn't it:freak:

• Members

Depends on how you have it set up. A clean or eq boost is simply going to drive the preamp harder like you said. But overdrive pedals actually create "distortion" before it hits the amp(unless of course you dial it in as a clean boost only). And unless the pedal is tube. Where do you think that distortion comes from?

Regardless. If it sounds good, it IS good. And the 4100 and 4500 JCM 900's sound very good IMO. Especially the EL34 ones.

You must have missed the whole "Boost pedal" part. I never mentioned an Overdrive/Distortion.

• Members

Uh, FYI, even when you have the gain all the way down and the level all the way up on the pedal, the diodes or op amps in the pedal still clip. I'm not comparing anything either.

Uh, FYI, I'm talking about boost pedals, not overdrives.

• Members

You must have missed the whole "Boost pedal" part. I never mentioned an Overdrive/Distortion.

A "Boost Pedal" is basically another name for an "Overdrive Pedal" or "Tube Screamer". Because that's how they're used. Boosting the signal and/or gain before the amp.

Archived