Newbie looking for first keyboard

u6crash

• Members

I've been lurking here a bit, but I still have lots of questions.

I'm looking for a first keyboard with general MIDI and USB connectivity. I had all but decided to go with the Casio CTK800, when I read a lot of discouraging notes about Casio here, and that model in particular.

I don't want something I'll outgrow as soon as I start learning to play, but I also don't want to spend a lot right away. I figure if I really take to it, I can get something bigger and better in a year or two. So now I'm looking at the Yamaha PSR models, leaning towards the E303 and the 293. Is this a good direction to go?

Also, I've been learning a bit on an old out of tune piano, but I'm also thinking of getting the eMedia Keyboard method software. Would any of you say this is a bad method? I don't want to learn what is in there and find out it has caused me to develop bad playing habits.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Members

It depends what kind of music you play. Novation X-station can be snatched off ebay for as little as 400 bucks. It has usb and is a great keyboard. You don't really want a keyboard with speakers, those are too cheap. You can just plug your stereo to your keyboard and listen to it, it sounds much better that way. For software, I'd recommend Propellerheads reason, or maybe Cakewalk, those are pretty easy to use.

Try:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

they have lots of free software there and lots of demos. It depends what you're trying to do.

• Members

I've got a Yamaha DGX-500 (88-keys - since replaced by the DGX-505) that has served me very well for several years now. It also acts as a MIDI controller hooked up to my PC running Cubase and a ton of Virtual Instruments (VST's). It has been a reasonably inexpensive (

• Members

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately if I start looking at things in the $400 price range, I should really wait until I have more saved up. Also, I'm using a Mac, so that limits the software that is available.

As for what sounds I want, I really don't know. I read all these posts here about people getting their stuff to almost sound like a Hammond or Juno or whatever, and that means nothing to me. And I don't expect any one keyboard to sound like everything. I'll try to think about it and figure out what is most important to me, but I'm pretty sure anything I get will be better than the Casiotone CT-310 I got for free at a garage sale.

Archived