Anyone follow gear designers like you would a producer?

felix

• Members

Lots of discussions seem to revolve around brand names - lots of people around here seem to have some brand loyalty.

But the people behind the instruments are seldom superstars, even though they may be the magic that made an instrument what it was.

Does anyone follow a particular designer? Obvious examples would be Dave Smith or Roger Linn, but what about the people behind Waldorf - where are they now? Are there other key people who have moved from previous successes at one company, who are now poised to make their mark at a new company?

Do you have favorite synth designers/sound designers who you follow?

• Members

I understand tne of the main guys at Opcode (R.I.P.) moved to Apple and went on to design the MIDI engine within OSX.

A few E-MU people went to Digidesign.

Line6 started as an OEM company for Alesis (among others).

And one of the guys at Roland is creating Showcase Arena, the coolest box you'll see... in 2007. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

I understand tne of the main guys at Opcode (R.I.P.) moved to Apple and went on to design the MIDI engine within OSX.

A few E-MU people went to Digidesign.

Line6 started as an OEM company for Alesis (among others).

And one of the guys at Roland is creating Showcase Arena, the coolest box you'll see... in 2007.
;)

Actually, a few people who left Line 6 went on to found Damage Control.

Are there Ensoniq designers still in the industry? Did the Novation guys stick with Novation through the acquisition?

• Members

Very few e-mu people went to digidesign, if any. From what I know, most ex-emuons were scattered to the four winds.

The director of business development went with one of the founders of Opcode, Chris Halaby, to found Muse Research.

A couple of guys from the engineering team went over to Universal Audio to work on the UAD-1.

And another engineer ended up in the greater seattle area working for an audio company that closely resembles the skunk works.

As far as the Waldorf guys, the two founders started a company called Stadler Electro, and are also in skunk works mode. Other guys went to work for Access, IIRC.

Most Ensoniq engineers got burned so badly in the Creative buyout that they got out of the industry altogether.

And that's the ten o'clock audio geek news folks. :-)

Archived