The new Neko looks pretty cool

Jeebus

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Personally, I think a NeKo/OASYS comparison is like apples and oranges. Both products offer an all-in-one approach, but NeKo's roots are in the computer world while OASYS's roots are in the keyboard world.

The Oasys' roots are just as much in the computer world as the Neko, if not moreso. The Oasys is based on PC parts, and a Linux-based OS.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Jeebus

Of course this thread is about the Neko.

Nonsense. This is a thinly veiled attack on the OASYS, and you know it.

It really is a complete synthesis solution. I can't think of a single workstation that offers this degree of flexibility.

it's cheaper than the
O-you-know-what,
even adding in the cost of Reaktor, NI Komplete, the Arturia collection, and some good sample libraries.

YOU made this about the OASYS, Chris - which I firmly believe was your intention when you started the thread.

I have asked nicely in public, I have tried PMing you repeatedly (which you have chosen to ignore), and you just keep on needling....dragging up old threads, jumping into pretty much every thread that contains any mention of the thing, and now you start this thread, innocently pretending that you didn't even notice that it had anything to do with the OASYS.

Frankly, I should have banned you when you dragged up that old thread a few weeks ago, but I didn't do it because I do think you're a valuable member of the community...when you want to be. Unfortunately, you're kind of like an internet version of Terrell Owens - despite your value, your down side makes it difficult to have you around.

Originally posted by Fartin'beHines

...and this is just childish. :rolleyes:

Sorry...but you've really left me no choice. You're banned from this forum until further notice.

dB

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

This absolutely makes sense. Computer systems support costs can eat away at your profit margin, especially at a small startup company. Even big boys like Dell put huge limits on their customer support.

With the neKO, the only support they can reasonably give relates to their initial configuration, loaded with their software. There is no way they could help you if you had a problem with software you installed on it (e.g. if you had a problem with Kontakt 2 running on the neKo).

Yeah you're right and I can understand that. But a 6000$ workstation limited to M-Audio A/D converters and pres doesn't seem right to me. they should offer a true upgrade within that price range.

That was what I was refering to and not to the fact that they won't allow user requensted configurations.

• Members

Originally posted by synthboyzz

Wow. I don't think I have ever seen anyone banned from a forum before for such an inoffensive and gentle post.

Bad day Mr. Moderator? Or just intolerant to those who think different than you?

How long have you been around to make such a judgement? :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I thought that the style of writing was familiar already. You were from "news from the crew and how we won" thread.

Grow a spine and post under your real nickname, please.

• Members

I have been around much longer than you.

I doubt this very much. I've pretty much survived all other members on KSS here save a few. In terms of age, sure - that's possible. But, that wouldn't really rhyme with your previous topic, which was by all accounts, childish.

• Members

So tell, Moderator, what was so offensive about Jeebus's post?

If you are going to ban a long time contributing member, at least have the balls to defend your position.

I think he spelled out the reasons in his post.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Personally, I think a NeKo/OASYS comparison is like apples and oranges. Both products offer an all-in-one approach, but NeKo's roots are in the computer world while OASYS's roots are in the keyboard world.

The Oasys' roots are just as much in the computer world as the Neko, if not moreso. The Oasys is based on PC parts, and a Linux-based OS.

While I grant that Korg has ported its work to a very stripped down version of Linux and has used PC parts in making the OASYS, what I mean by my statement is that Korg is a keyboard manufacturer, first and foremost. The basis for OASYS's development is rooted in keyboard manufacturing. Underpinnings aside, there is little or nothing about the OASYS that is not Korg originated. The third-party applications that are part and parcel of the personal computer are missing from the OASYS, and that's both a good and a bad thing. Try running Quicken on an OASYS, and you'll soon see the difference I'm trying to convey. ;)

In other words, the OASYS is a keyboard that happens to be a PC. The NeKo is a PC that happens to be a keyboard.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Neko is still tied to the Windows OS. For me, that's a negative. That's a bunch of money to tie up in hardware that's basically duplicated at home for me already (my computer, that is).

And while I have to agree that I drooled at the initial specs and concept, when I saw one in person I was somewhat underwhelmed at the overall execution in terms of design and build quality.

I've also found it difficult to nail down the real price of a system after upgrades (and you have to factor in whatever software you're going to use, along with paid upgrades as time goes on).

Seems like many people who rely on softsynths are already pretty far down the path of a CPU + Controller.

I also think that Muse Research's Receptor should factor into this argument.

• Members

Well, He did ask Martin to be call him by his proper holy name......

The tone of voice in his threads is much nicer than those responding to him.

I don't see the big deal.......

Why can't we just get along, ignore the threads we don't want to read, and move the {censored} on.

We don't need to BAN people for discussing gear. even if it is about the Oasys. So what? Isn't that what this place is (or was) for?

• Members

shakti, you could start by discussing the gear. If you're not going to post about Neko, why post in this thread at all?

Oh and as for "The new Neko looks pretty cool," I think it looks exactly the same as the old Neko. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by EerieDreamZ

Yeah, so long that you feel the need to be all high n mighty while changing your monicker.

That only makes you a coward.

No more no less.

Nuff said

:rolleyes:

Yeah, so long that you feel the need to be all high n mighty while changing your monicker.

No more no less.

Nuff said

No more no less.

Nuff said

No more no less.

Nuff said

No more no less.

Nuff said

• Members

It's unfortunate that a discussion on the Open Labs Neko had to turn into yet another Oaysis-bashing thread.

When pricing these things, the Neko or anything like it, you have to figure the hardware controllers into the game as well....you have the keys, but also touchscreen, faders, knobs, etc....the compactness and assignable hardware is what makes these boxes so attractive. I think Open Labs pricing is confusing as well, though. "Starting at xxxx", but the picture of the model is the fully loaded version that cost 1.5 times that. Not that it matters, I won't be able to afford an Neko or Oaysis or anything else like that anytime soon.

Archived