XV-5080 effects section: WTF?!

88Fingerz

• Members

Hello all!

I've been stumped for a while on this:

I using the 5080 with a PT LE setup (OMS).

In performance mode, I want to set up the effects (inserts) on each individual channel.

For instance, I'll set up an amp simualtor for an electric gtr patch.

However, when I hit play in Pro Tools, the effect goes back to no effect (or whatever was previously there).

So my question is: How can I select and MAINTAIN my effect choices in Performance mode, per instrument, per channel?

Thanks for taking a moment to answer!

Also...anyone know of an online or book tutorial on this XV-5080 beast? I'm not inlove with Roland manuals in general, least of all this one. I really want to be able to master the FX section.

Thanks again!

• Members

How can I select and MAINTAIN my effect choices in Performance mode, per instrument, per channel?

You can't. Just like every sound module out there (aside from the Virus C, Virus Ti, and maybe a couple others), you have a finite amount of FX processors. Specifically, you have one MFX processor, one Chorus/Delay, one Reverb, and one EQ. Total. For the entire machine. If you had each of those per part, you'd have 128 effects processors instead of 4... At which point people would complain they can't add 128 effects per part. Okay, so maybe they wouldn't.

Here's a walk-through on how to bring a patch's effects settings into performance mode.

• Members

Yes, you can only have 3 sounds with MXF at the same time on the 5080. But if something is working with FX in perofrmance mode, and then when you hit play on your sequencer and it suddenly changes back to what it was before - my guess is your sequencer is sending out some sort of patch change message when the song starts. If that's the case, the potential solution is - once you've got the changes you like, SAVE the performance to the user bank, and direct the sequencer to play that performance.

confused you? :D

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

You can't. Just like every sound module out there (aside from the Virus C, Virus Ti, and maybe a couple others), you have a finite amount of FX processors. Specifically, you have one MFX processor, one Chorus/Delay, one Reverb, and one EQ. Total. For the entire machine. If you had each of those per part, you'd have 128 effects processors instead of 4... At which point people would complain they can't add 128 effects per part. Okay, so maybe they wouldn't.

Well, even I know that's absolutely incorrect. There are 3 MFX insert choices (usable by any patch channel in a performance) and 1 universal reverb/chorus per performance.

Thanks, though

I'm thinking I need to save my setup and then switch to the user bank where my changes will reside. I'll try this later today when I get to the studio. Thanks to all for your help!

• Members

Originally posted by 88Fingerz

I'm thinking I need to save my setup and then switch to the user bank where my changes will reside. I'll try this later today when I get to the studio. Thanks to all for your help!

Yeah...what you're probably doing is resetting a preset, which erases your edits.

The least confusing way to do effects in a Roland performance is to not use the performance effects settings, but have the patches carry their own effects with them into the performance. To do this, save the edited patches at the patch level. Then disable performance effects settings by selecting PAT (patch) in the output boxes of the parts you are using. I'm not sure of the specifics of the 5080, but there should be a source box as well. In this you will need to put the part numbers the performance will use for its effects sources. Then drop the patches with the effects you like into those parts.

• Members

You know...that's a GREAT idea (and yes I understand what you're saying).

Can't wait to try that tonight!

The XV-5080 is a fantastic workhorse! While not the highest end effects going, it is very handy to have some of these efffects at your disposal.

Next I'm looking at the adat lightpipe option available...that will seal the deal on this beast!

Thanks again!

• Members

Originally posted by 88Fingerz

Well, even I know that's absolutely incorrect. There are 3 MFX insert choices (usable by any patch channel in a performance) and 1 universal reverb/chorus per performance.

Sorry, you're right; don't know what I was smoking at the time. And I even own an XV-5080! The link I sent will walk you through how to do what you want, tho'.

Most of the time, I'll only run one sound on my 5080, and if I need more, I'll route each one out their own output and process them in Logic (never need more than 3).

• Members

These are still great boxes, no doubt about it.

As you've noticed, Roland put a lot of flexability in how you can set things up, which makes things complicated and potentially confusing....perhaps too confusing. Having a separate effects hierarchy at the performance level is one of those things... I never use 'em...I like to keep the same effects the patches had with them originally in the performance. That's the sensible thing I think. To make matters worse, Roland sets up performance effects as default...you have to disable them if you want to use patch effects. I don't get it. Must be a Japanese thing.

Anyway...

It will also help you starting out if you keep the same numbers (1-16) for:

Performance part

MIDI channel assigned to that part

Sequencer track assigned to that MIDI channel

Although here the flexability to change things around here can really help in certain situations.

Archived