Hardware Sequencer buying decisions

MuzikB

• Members

I have had the 2000 and the 2000xl flavor. I got a killer deal on the mpc-4000 and it made me never look at the mpc's coming out since. There was about a year or two when there was still O.S. tricking out from akai and fixing bugs and providing the features they said it would have.

It's a killer machine and easy to move up to as a upgrade from the other mpc's. I use the internal H.D. and flash cards on the front of it's usb port. I havn't hit the 64 voice limit yet. I use it mainly for drums, loops, phrases and sometimes as an sampler. I have had a e4 for a long time and the 4k was going to make me drop it til I saw the going prices for hardware samplers at the time and said " I think I will keep it still." It shines in everything it does.

Kaz... one happy Mpc4k owner.

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

Geez great... now I need an MPC4000....

Yep, it would be great with your G2 Engine with it's Midi Out Modules and the MPC 4000's 64 point modulation matrix, that you could use the G2's modules to modulate. I've got a 4000, and i'm hoping to pick up a G2 fairly soon to enjoy a modular sampler.. ala G2-4000 ...

• Members

MuzikB,

When I read your threads, I sometimes feel like I am reading my own thoughts. I too am looking for that perfect hardware sequencer for my S90-ES. I am looking forward to hearing about how this turns out for you. Let us know!

As for me, I am not satisfied with any of the current or used models. For a period of time, I was leaning towards the RS7000, but I don't like the fact that it uses smartmedia cards and SCSI drives.

I'm waiting for one of two things - an updated RS7000 model, something that is basically a Motif ES in a groovebox, or even better, a Karma groovebox. But I'm not holding my breath.

It's a shame that hardware manufacturers have stopped producing new grooveboxes and hardware sequencers.

• Members

Swardle,

Well, there are a lot of grooveboxes out there, but nobody has gotten it right yet except Akai. They're the only company with a completely stand alone product with modern features.

MC-808: Needs a computer

MC-909: Needs upgraded

Korg Electribes: Need USB connectivity and/or Compact Flash update

MV-8000: too big and pointless if you already have a good spec computer

Akai's the only serious game in town right now. You just have to pick a model that fits your studio vision.

And like I said, the MPC-1000 fits right on the left side of the S90ES and the top angle of the S90's panel along with the angle of the MPC makes the MPC's screen easy to read. Or you could just put it in your lap. :thu:

I put one on layaway with Sweetwater for now but I'll likely pay it off on payday. I'll be sure to provide info on how it works out.

Hopefully I'll agree with Pete Rock in that every studio should have an MPC........ and a Nord Lead. :D

Archived