Hardware Sequencer buying decisions

MuzikB

• Members

Went to Guitar Center to give the ole' MPC 2500 a run. INHO I can't really find anything about it that justifies its' $2000 price tag. The inability to load DIMMS into it yourself, the 96PPQN sequencer resolution, and 100,000 step events were letdowns (The MPC 2000XL has 300,000). Given that, it does sound awesome and as you start to get familiar with the interface, putting things together is a breeze. :)

I'm still looking at a hardware sequencer solution. The salesman saw my disapproval of the 2500 and suggested the MPC 4000. I have yet to be able to put my hands on this machine so I appeal to anyone here that owns one for some insight. I was impressed with the MV8000 but spent most of my time observing an acquaintance who had one than much hands on.

Inputs on anything else around would be appreciated.

• Members

I've got a MPC 4000 if you have any specific questions that you are interested. I'd be happy to give my 2 cents on the 4000 vs 8000 debate, but I do have the 4000, so you can already guess my bias, but I do see and like many features on the 8000. I would definitely like to get a some of each machine into one, but not enought where I had to get both...

Let me know if you have any thing specific.

Dave

Guest Anonymous

so, is sampling a sine qua non, then?

the best hardware midi sequencer i've used is e-mu's command station series. there's no sampling, though.

• Members

Sorry but it's got to sample fellas and the low sequencer resolution of all the MPC models besides the 4000 puts them out of the running. It would be fine for drum but working with synths and keyboards, I've gotten used to working with 480 PPQ.

Is the MPC 4000 truly a fully featured Z8 sampler within it? This appeals if so but I am pretty familiar with the way Roland does things and the company seems to be changing their tune on cookie cutter instruments. They're starting to actually put some support and longevity into them.

Nobody's got an MV-8000?

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

What the hell do you do with more than 96ppq?

LOL.

I adjust for feel. All that time spent on the Roland MC-909 in England taught me. I need at least 480PPQ for the sequencing of instruments. I don't need that much for drums but it's nice to have. ;)

I really hated the fact that it didn't have Analog Feel, the 64 voice polyphony started to become a crutch, and it didn't have enough processing power in the sequencer (Timing lag), but I really do miss it. I think I still have a Smartmedia card here with a Chico Debarge remix I did on the MC.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

Is the MPC 4000 truly a fully featured Z8 sampler within it?

The MPC 4000 is truly the fully featured Z8/Z4 sampler. It has everything that you can do wtih the Z8 and is compatible with all of the Software and Samples/Programs for it.

It's so nice to have a Z8 built into an MPC format. :)

Dave

• Members

Yamaha RS7000 with the Emu Command Stations running an ever so close second IMHO.

If I was to get any hardware kit again it would be the RS7000 handsdown purely for the sequencer and drum sampling facilities myself.

• Members

Originally posted by renegadebliss

The MPC 4000 is truly the fully featured Z8/Z4 sampler. It has everything that you can do wtih the Z8 and is compatible with all of the Software and Samples/Programs for it.

It's so nice to have a Z8 built into an MPC format.
:)

Dave

So full blown multisampling can be done on it? Not just drum and phrase sampling?

• Members

Originally posted by U&I

Yamaha RS7000 with the Emu Command Stations running an ever so close second IMHO.

If I was to get any hardware kit again it would be the RS7000 handsdown purely for the sequencer and drum sampling facilities myself.

I hate Yamaha sequencers. I think that their convoluted. Can't stand the things.

I thought there were only 2 types of Command Stations and neither sampled? Is there one that does?

• Members

Nobody's got an MV-8000?

I used to, but I had to sell it. Finances and all.

Luckily, I sold it to rjx. :D Maybe he'll come by and tell you how he feels about it.

As for me, I'm on my way out of the door at the moment, but I'll try to at least drop you a PM if I don't get a chance to post in the thread outright.

• Members

So full blown multisampling can be done on it? Not just drum and phrase sampling?

Yep. In Akai speak, they have 2 types of programs. Drum Programs and Keygroup Programs. Drum Programs are typical MPC style where each note or pad has a different sample assigned to it for up to 96 pads/notes.

The Keygroup programs are the typical type of Akai program that is in the S series through the Z series. Where you can take 1sample and have it map up and down the keyboard, or put multiple samples and assign how they are mapped across the keyboard.

You can have up to 128 different Keygroup Programs available at the same time, but of course, they are limited to the 64 voice polyphony ( or 32 voice if you are at 96khz/24bit mode).

For either type of program drum or keygroup, you still have the 3 filters, 2 LFO's and 3 Envelopes and the 64 point modulation matrix available.

Dave

• Members

Originally posted by renegadebliss

Yep. In Akai speak, they have 2 types of programs. Drum Programs and Keygroup Programs. Drum Programs are typical MPC style where each note or pad has a different sample assigned to it for up to 96 pads/notes.

The Keygroup programs are the typical type of Akai program that is in the S series through the Z series. Where you can take 1sample and have it map up and down the keyboard, or put multiple samples and assign how they are mapped across the keyboard.

You can have up to 128 different Keygroup Programs available at the same time, but of course, they are limited to the 64 voice polyphony ( or 32 voice if you are at 96khz/24bit mode).

For either type of program drum or keygroup, you still have the 3 filters, 2 LFO's and 3 Envelopes and the 64 point modulation matrix available.

Dave

With only 64 voices, have you hit the wall on it?

• Members

3 Command Stations (different stock ROM and color) and all expandable to 4 ROMs I think.

There's also the 4th "station" the Proteus 2500 that is a rack without the pads and a different ROM.

None sampled but you could write ROMs on an E4 Ultra, or something.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can look into it further.

Guest Anonymous

None sampled but you could write ROMs on an E4 Ultra, or something.

i thought about doing that, but 32mb eproms are hellza expensive, and you'd have no extensive patch data.

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

i'd say get a commnd station and a good sampler on the side if you really need sampling.

the xl-7 can be had for $500 and the e-4 rack for $250-300 more.

find an akai that is less than $800 and has 256 notes of poly
:)
the mod matrix of the emu line and built in sounds.

I use a PX-7 in conjunction with a Korg ESX and the combination works very well and won't break the bank.

The command station sequencer is a true thing of beauty. I would take one over the MPC's sequencer any day of the week.

You get 64 channels (32 internal, 32 external), and 16 tracks. Each track can run it's own quantize and swing settings and there are 32 independent (and programable) arpeggiators and the sequencer allows clock modulation for those algorithmic autechre type rythms.

You can record to it in realtime, step (mpc style) or grid, and you can switch between these on the fly while the sequencer is running. In fact you can pretty much do anything on the box while the sequencer is running.

The synth engine is also among the most fully featured out there.

I would reccomend the PX-7 as the stock rom has hundreds of drums on it, many from classic machines and great quality

"real drums". This ROM will be useable for a good long time.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Thanks all for the help again.

I decided on the MPC 1000 since it's small enough to sit on my S90ES just right of the Yamaha logo that's above the wheels. I already have all the MPC 2500's features in Live 5 so I went with the smaller one for quick sequencing and drum pad use along with the S90ES.

Archived