Lemur Controller

droolmaster0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by SumDumGuy

Lots of Ableton users seem pretty excited about it from what I have seen at their forum.

Well, just reading the hype it sounds pretty amazing....but I've mostly seen people raving about its potential, rather than heard from people who've actually used it.

• Members

this a really exciting technology- what touchscreens/tablets wanted to do- in a few years Lemur control surface displays could be set-up as a second monitor for your computer allowing you to instantly turn your soft synth GUIs into active control surfaces! good-bye clunky midi control boxes and bland generalized interfaces!

I can imagine future hardware synths with Lemur displays as well- no more need for expensive knobs/sliders- complex synthesis controls would all be mapped to the lumur display- expensive analog synths would be alot cheaper and easier to patch-

this technology will turn all of our studios into Star-Trek-like control panels :thu::cool: -

imagine a wall of large-screen lemur-like displays running powerful modular soft-synths like VAZ or Creamware Modular! you could say stuff like "Captain! I am reading a power surge in the port warp injector that is creating unstable phase harmonics in the warp field!" while you tweak your sound! :p:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by setAI

this a really exciting technology- what touchscreens/tablets wanted to do- in a few years Lemur control surface displays could be set-up as a second monitor for your computer allowing you to instantly turn your soft synth GUIs into active control surfaces! good-bye clunky midi control boxes and bland generalized interfaces!

I can imagine future hardware synths with Lemur displays as well- no more need for expensive knobs/sliders- complex synthesis controls would all be mapped to the lumur display- expensive analog synths would be alot cheaper and easier to patch-

this technology will turn all of our studios into Star-Trek-like control panels
:thu::cool:
-

imagine a wall of large-screen lemur-like displays running powerful modular soft-synths like VAZ or Creamware Modular! you could say stuff like
"Captain! I am reading a power surge in the port warp injector that is creating unstable phase harmonics in the warp field!"
while you tweak your sound!
:p:cool:

LOL! yeah...you start reading about this thing and fantasizing - but I'm just really starting to research it, and what I'm wondering is - how well does it actually work? Is it an idea whose time isn't quite here yet? I have serious G.A.S. over this thing, and the dangerous thing is that I have some bonus money coming in about a month and a half or so.

• Members

One application i have in mind for it is microtonal keyboard layouts. Either a 19-tone "standard" keyboard that has extra black keys or the honeycomb-like format favored by hardcore microtonalists.

Obviously there is a limit to this idea in that the Lemur is neither velocity nor aftertouch sensitive. Still, I think it would be a very useful application.

• Members

a couple of vids of the lemur in action.. pretty cotdamn wikid if you ask me. i would love love to own one some day.

http://www.synthesisters.com/download/testimonials/ali_momeni_web.mov (lemur footage near end. lots of other cool stuff on this vid too, though.)

http://www.twelfthroot.com/lemur/ **MIGHT CRASH YOUR BROWSER** (firefox?) page only includes a bit of info on whats goin in in the patch. here is a direct link to the movie. http://www.twelfthroot.com/lemur/Lemur%20DemoBBmed.mov features a continuum and kyma too.

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

I'm having trouble viewing this one. What browser do you use and which plugin or helper app did you configure your browers to play that clip?

i had no trouble viewing this page earlier in safari. but it crashed firefox twice for me just now.. ill edit the post and put a direct link to the vid if it helps some people...

• Members

i'm sure it will be very cool for some things.

i have a hard time picturing how 'expressive' it will feel, with no pressure sensitivity... or how precise it will feel compared to a knob or slider...

i think my lab will be getting one or has one, hopefully i'll get to try it soon.

• Members

Originally posted by CardioGram

i'm sure it will be very cool for some things.

i have a hard time picturing how 'expressive' it will feel, with no pressure sensitivity... or how precise it will feel compared to a knob or slider...

i think my lab will be getting one or has one, hopefully i'll get to try it soon.

Well, my bonus won't be arriving for at least a month and a half - so if you get to try it before then - please tell! I think that it could be very expressive without pressure - there is nothing inherently unique about pressure, I think.

• Members

Gee, touch controls on a synth. Who would of thunk it...

I can't speak for the Lemur, as I've not had my hands on one yet, but I know from everyday experience that the use of good linear touch controls by the dozen will do wonders for the ability to tweak while you play. You can't believe how much it does for you until you use them. It immediately becomes something that you can't live without.

• Members

http://www.trolltouch.com/pages/products/lcd.html

Love the idea of a Lemur, but wouldn't this basically be the same thing, or at least, function the same way? You would basically use a second LCD as a touch screen, which you would program however you wanted in Max, or use traditional softsynths/apps themselves.

What's the difference?

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

there is nothing inherently unique about pressure, I think.

yeah i agree, i mean i love the touch strip on my ex5.

maybe i would say, pressure may have certain unique qualities, but that doesn't mean it's necessary for every task.

for certain tasks, knobs or faders or velo/aftertouch keys just strike me as more ideal, you know? im just speculating.

It would be fun to try to put a whole set together using only a lemur and a tactex pad (multi-point but squishy) !

• Members

Originally posted by rylos

Gee, touch controls on a synth. Who would of thunk it...

I can't speak for the Lemur, as I've not had my hands on one yet, but I know from everyday experience that the use of good linear touch controls by the dozen will do wonders for the ability to tweak while you play. You can't believe how much it does for you until you use them. It immediately becomes something that you can't live without.

I'm not sure I understand. That just seems to be a touch screen monitor for a computer, so you are just simply doubling, in touch screen form, whatever the gui is of the software you're using. On the Lemur you can program all sorts of objects that respond to your touch and can move around on their own with various properties, and can be assigned to various parameters in the software. You can even design step sequencers which interact with other objects and your touch, etc. I haven't read through their downloadable manual yet, but the thing seems immensely powerful.

• Members

I'm sure the Lemur has it's own unique and interesting properties, but, you basically have a touch screen (which can be had for somewhat cheaper), and a the software (which something similar can be programmed in Max anyway, if you actually need it)...

I'm not trying to discredit it or anything like that, I'm sure it's awesome (and did in fact get googly eyed after first seeing it), but I guess what I'm saying is, wouldn't that (Touch screen, perhaps Max) provide a more cost-effective solution?

Archived