Machinedrum Dalek voice

Per Kristian

• Members

I used a input machine (INP-GA) which just sends sound from the input thru the Machindrums FX/filters. Tweaked with the AMD/AMF settings, and there it was. I guess AMD/AMF has something to do with ring mod.

AMD = 112, AMF = 1, also added some sampling rate reduction to get more crispy sound.

• Members

nice demo, Per. i'm going to include my recipe for voice of dalek in this post for the sake of information dispersion.

Recipe for dalek voice

ingredients:

distortion

ring modulator

10-20 hz square wave osc (set to taste)

microphone

a familiarity with the way you speak as a dalek

by this point you may have figured out from the ingredients list you plug a microphone into something with slight distortion to taste (SLIGHT, people), then into one side of a ring modulator. into the other side of the ring modulator you plug your square wave oscillator.

here comes the hard part: talking like a dalek.

i'm not a vocal trainer, so i can't describe it in words. you'll just have to remember what kind of things daleks like to talk about and the attitude with which they say them.

for example, daleks do not talk about having tea or how pretty it is outside. they like to talk about universal conquest and extermination.

as far as the delivery goes, i would recommend the featurette about voicing the daleks which can be found on the Doctor Who DVD The Dalek Invasion Of Earth.

then i would pay attention to this guy, Nicholas Briggs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/06gallery/800/09.jpg

he's the bad mother{censored}er who did the dalek voices in the new DW series, and the dalek and cybermen voices in the Big Finish DW audio dramas ... a few of which he wrote.

not only did he do the voices, but he also operated the lights on the domes while he was voicing them on-set.

• Members

i remember getting a pretty cool Dalek sound through the gooseneck mike on an MS2000BR at a music shop, ..... but it did also sound a bit like Metal Mickey as well

Metal2.jpg

In fact, it used to really piss me off how metal mickey sounded exactly the same as the Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.

Totally outrageous, actually :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

Please. Don't say you're not familiar with Dr. Who.

Not really.

I don't have time to get aquainted either. This is going to be a 60+ hour week I think. I guess the Voyager will come sooner than expected. ;) Down side is my personal projects are on the way back burner.

I did pass all my classes this semester though, and even maintained my "3.1" GPA. Was 3.06 now 3.05 with some creative rounding comes out to 3.1. :)

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

I don't have time to get aquainted either. This is going to be a 60+ hour week I think. I guess the Voyager will come sooner than expected.
;)
Down side is my personal projects are on the way back burner.

I did pass all my classes this semester though, and even maintained my "3.1" GPA. Was 3.06 now 3.05 with some creative rounding comes out to 3.1.
:)

OH urban, it ALWAYS has to be about you doesn't it.

Just kidding dude. What's with the long hours? we starting a war that i should know about sometime soon or something?

Just in time for Namm!

. . . i guess this only makes sense if you're still working for that defense contractor . . .

• Members

Originally posted by scenicsquare

OH urban, it ALWAYS has to be about you doesn't it.

Just kidding dude. What's with the long hours? we starting a war that i should know about sometime soon or something?

Just in time for Namm!

. . . i guess this only makes sense if you're still working for that defense contractor . . .

Finishing up my project because government big wigs were in this Thursday and next Wednesday and Thursday. Spent 2 days finding a problem that turned out to be a pinched wire! Ooops. I did make a lot of progress yesterday and today and as of this afternoon its bread/prototype board free!

Still have to do a lot of work to get a reliable demo going but I am pleased with my work so far. :)

And yes its always about ME! :D;)

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

I must add Forbidden Planet movie.

compiling a list of media SF which is highly relevant to EM is not a bad idea.

Forbidden Planet would definitely be at the top if it had been a television series with 29 seasons under its belt. i'd also like to point out that the soundtrack (like many other highly relevant albums) is available on eMusic.com as un-DRMed variable-bit-rate MP3.

DW is such a great series to watch as an EM artist because you have tape music in the 60s, EMS all over the 70s, then the Huge Studio Of Mainly Roland in the 80s. the BBC DW sound effects records are good listening in their own right, even.

i don't think that the series would have had such a lasting impact on the UK consciousness if it weren't for the hard work of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's sound design. Daleks without processing, the theme without Delia, the TARDIS without the "living engine hum" or the sound of a piano string ripping apart the fabric of time and space, etc.

and of course who could forget Liz Parker's pan-pipe samples ...

• Members

Originally posted by flat earth

i remember getting a pretty cool Dalek sound through the gooseneck mike on an MS2000BR at a music shop, ..... but it did also sound a bit like Metal Mickey as well

Metal2.jpg

In fact, it used to really piss me off how metal mickey sounded exactly the same as the Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.

Totally outrageous, actually
:mad:

ha.. just thought, most of you guys probably have never heard of Metal Mickey. .......Your lucky. :D

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

nice demo, Per. i'm going to include my recipe for voice of dalek in this post for the sake of information dispersion.

Recipe for dalek voice

ingredients:

distortion

ring modulator

10-20 hz square wave osc (set to taste)

microphone

a familiarity with the way you speak as a dalek

by this point you may have figured out from the ingredients list you plug a microphone into something with slight distortion to taste (SLIGHT, people), then into one side of a ring modulator. into the other side of the ring modulator you plug your square wave oscillator.

here comes the hard part: talking like a dalek.

i'm not a vocal trainer, so i can't describe it in words. you'll just have to remember what kind of things daleks like to talk about and the attitude with which they say them.

for example, daleks do not talk about having tea or how pretty it is outside. they like to talk about universal conquest and extermination.

as far as the delivery goes, i would recommend the featurette about voicing the daleks which can be found on the Doctor Who DVD The Dalek Invasion Of Earth.

then i would pay attention to this guy, Nicholas Briggs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/06gallery/800/09.jpg

he's the bad mother{censored}er who did the dalek voices in the new DW series, and the dalek and cybermen voices in the Big Finish DW audio dramas ... a few of which he wrote.

not only did he do the voices, but he also operated the lights on the domes while he was voicing them on-set.

And just to clarify - it was a Moogerfooger Ring Modulator used in the last series. :)

Archived