3 Q's for you (Nord) Electro Purists

• Members

I have been trying out an Electro. I think the sounds are phenomenal but I can't handle the keyboard action- the keys push back at my fingers too much. I will probably return it and get the module version. I want to know:

1) Do you get used to it

2) does the action loosen up over time

3) are their any mods possible (replacement springs, etc)

Thanks for any help.

• Members

Originally posted by pink floyd cramer

I have been trying out an Electro. I think the sounds are phenomenal but I can't handle the keyboard action- the keys push back at my fingers too much. I will probably return it and get the module version. I want to know:

1) Do you get used to it

Thanls for any help.

The Electro's action seems to get mixed reviews by those that feel it is not quite heavy enough for Rhodes and those that believe it is a bit too heavy for organ. It took me a little while to get used to it and now I love it. I use it primarily for organ and clav and I like the robustness of the action. It can take a licking and keep on ticking. It reminds me a lot of the Hammond XK2 action, which is a clone I used for a few years and felt was the most authentic in terms of replicating the action on my A101 at home.

The Electro does have heavier springs than many of the clones. I have heard that it is the same Fatar action used on the new Korg CX3, however, the CX3 has lighter springs than the Electro. I owned a CX3 for a year and loved it except for the featherweight keyboard and propensity to double-trigger notes. The double-triggering bug was remedied in v2.0 of the CX3 firmware, but that happened long after I sold mine due to this problem.

As for loosening up, it might get a little easier over time, but it does not loosen up much. I've had one for over 3 years now and it is not markedly different from when it was new.

Modifications? You might be able to put the lighter springs in it, but that would be a pretty significant surgery (I think) and I'm not sure if you could get the parts or not. You could contact Clavia through their website and ask the question. I'd say give it some more time to get used to it. Now that I'm used to it, I really like it a lot. Very pummelworthy.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by pink floyd cramer

1) Do you get used to it

Thanls for any help.

THe thing about an action like that is it could {censored} up your playing, but then that could be any type of imitation action for that matter.

• Members

I've mentioned this problem a few times on this forum and was really surprised that others did not feel the same way. And this is coming from someone who is really pretty happy playing piano modules from the action in a roland VK-7 (admittedly the keyboard had been replaced before i bought it, so i don't know how representative it is of a usual VK-7.)

I have heard that the electro version 1 had a less springy action - I've been looking for one for a while but there are none coming up in my country.:(

• Members

I have pretty strong fingers from 5+ years of playing "P" series Yamaha pianos- but the keys on those do not push back with the same force as the down stroke- I guess this is called "escapement". Anyway I may be able to cope with the Electro action for organ but I don't think so for pianos. The CX-3 and Roland 760 actions are fine but I like the Electro sound better, so I guess it's the Electro rack for me- at any rate the Electro 73 is too many keys so back it goes (I hope AMS understands:( ).

• Members

Originally posted by King Julian

:confused:
(please explain)

LOL, guess that sounded contradictary? What I should have said - it took me a four day weekend playing 4-5 hours each day to get used to it. Did not help that I have been using a Triton Le for two years.

I really like the Electro action, and the Fantom X that I am using with it also.

• Members

it could be true that V1 and V2 have different actions as I recently played a V2-73 in a shop (the other keyboards all sucked ;) ) and it felt different, heavier. I am pretty used to the keybed now.

At home I play it a lot via my fatar SL880 and that gives more control obviously. But for live/rehearsal/jam purposes I think it's absolutely fine. The one big huge advantage of the Nord is that it is so small and so light that you can take it anywhere and play, and I'm happy to sacrifice some extra keys and a hammer action for that...the Nord brought me many new friends!

• Members

What the Electro keyboard reminds me of most is my Clavinet C. It doesn't feel an awful lot like a Hammond waterfall, and certainly nothing like a Rhodes. I found it very tough to play EP on, too tough for me to consider buying one. That, and the whole thing was too light and moving around. To me, there's a lower minimum weight of maybe 25# or so just for stability. How do you guys gig with one... do you velcro it to your stand?

Archived