A lesson on how to play slow blues

rosskoss

• Members
Originally posted by rosskoss

Bah.......you're just a shredder wannabe like everyone else
:p

To be perfectly honest this one sounded too much like something I've heard in a boring way. Which is fine if it's happening right in front of my eyes but usually bores me when I just listen to it.

And yeah, I'm a slide-shredder-wannabe :D

• Members

I think the most important thing, and the most difficult thing, is to compliment the singer (even if it's you) by having a conversation using your guitar. With the lumbering rhythm of a slow blues and the hurts-to-the-bone tension created by that, the easy way out is to hit the gas, so to speak, and cram the changes with notes. That's all well and good, but someone like Albert King, Freddie King, Clapton, Jimi, SRV, and especially B.B. King is identifiable not such much by the number of notes, but by the space between them and the creativeness of their phrases - what happens BETWEEN the space. If you like SRV, "The Sky is Crying" is a great example of slow blues phrasing.

• Members

Beautiful laid back phrasing. I think theres a lot one can learn just be listening to that clip and paying attention to the way he selects and plays his notes.

Excellent post! That was just fantastic, is that Robben Ford doing BB's "How Blue Can You Get?"

This is the kind of stuff you need to hear to wake you up when your playing gets a little stale or you feel like you're hitting a plateau. It totally motivated me, Thanks!

EDIT: Just listened a third time, thats not Robben Ford, Im a space cadet, who is it?????

• Members
Originally posted by Terje

To be perfectly honest this one sounded too much like something I've heard in a boring way. Which is fine if it's happening right in front of my eyes but usually bores me when I just listen to it.

And yeah, I'm a slide-shredder-wannabe
:D

It always amazes me how music affects people in completely different ways. Thats the miracle of it though. The playing totally "spoke" to me where obviously Terje, you were slightly bored by it.

Isnt music a wonderful thing? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

It always amazes me how music affects people in completely different ways. Thats the miracle of it though. The playing totally "spoke" to me where obviously Terje, you were slightly bored by it.

Isnt music a wonderful thing?
;)

I was thinking the same thing about Terje but not in those words. He's a real piece of work.

Ford's phrasing kills me. Boring? I hung on every note. Different strokes I guess.

Sounds like the Tele going from fingers to pick.

• Members
Originally posted by Jimmy James

I was thinking the same thing about Terje but not in those words. He's a real piece of work.

Well... :)

What I meant, and maybe I didn't make that too clear, was that while I liked it to a certain extent it didn't floor me. But if this had been something I'd seen live then I don't need to be floored and in such a situation I would have liked it very much.

• Members

Ok people,

That is NOT Robben Ford. Its some guy named Al. Thats all I know. Oh yeah, and he plays a Jamison(super high end booteek amp)

Just listened to it again. I wish I could play like that!

Are you sure? Whoever it is has Robben's phrasing down cold. Double stops and every thing. Not only that, the first phrase of the the vocal line at the end is dead on Ford vocally.

I know guys who can phrase like Robben and pull this off but not the singing. His singing is one of those hate him or love him things, and I've never heard of anybody who wanted to sing like that. His harp playing brother Mark is the only one I've ever heard who sounds similar.

Hey, if it ain't Robben I don't know wheather to congradulate him or smack him. It's so dead on.

Lastly, thanks Terje for being unecessarily clear, but we understood you the first time. Different strokes that's all.

• Members

I replied before, but something I wanted to add is taking a cue from comedy writing/performing. They stress the "rule of three," as in, a gag is really funny if done three times, and on the third time, right when you as an audience member think you know what's coming, that's when the trick or switch happens.

To show you a simple musical example of what I'm talking about, say you're playing a slow blues in the key of G. Starting on the third string, 5th fret, hit G, hammer-on to the A, then go down one string to the fourth string, 5th fret, and hit the C, then go back down to the G note you started on...do this all in one sequence: G A C G. You do this two times, and by the third, people in the audience will think they know your stuff...they're with you because they heard a repeated pattern and, as much as they might not know how to play, they WANT to partcipate. But now it's a game, and your move.... On the third progression of G A C G, the G you hit at the end is actually an octave up on the sixth string, 3rd fret, and you go up the neck toward the bridge from there, still on the sixth string or wherever you want to go.

Building a listener's expectations like this and taking them for a ride not only involves them, it actually gives you a little break as the riff-churner. You can have fun without having to be "on" absolutely 100% of the time. Know what I mean?

• Members

Originally posted by desmoines_bluesman

Building a listener's expectations like this and taking them for a ride not only involves them, it actually gives you a little break as the riff-churner. You can have fun without having to be "on" absolutely 100% of the time. Know what I mean?

Sort of but being able to be in control of the situation in this way, to be able to play music and not licks, you have to be "on" too in another way. You have to be very present.

But you don't have to be technically or muscially brilliant. It's enough to be aware.

And how I fail at this...

Archived