So teach me about harmonics...

Smokey

• Members

in standard tuning, the 7th fret hamonic on the 6th string (low E) is a B note which is the same as the B note fretted at the 7th fret on the 6th string, but its 2 octaves up... (I think, someone may correct me on this).

that goes for all 7th fret harmonics on all strings, they are equivalent to the 7th fretted note on that string but two octaves up... and the 12th fret harmonic is the same as the not at the 12th fret but one octave up. I forget what note the 5th fret makes...

Use these ones the most in your soloing... it sounds really neat if you can ring out a harmonic and play a lick in that scale... for instance, hit the 7th fret harmonic on the E string and then play a lick in Bminor on the B string starting at the 12th fret... it has a neat sound to it...

Another thing you can do is fret a note, for example the third fret (G) on the E string, and then touch over the 10th fret with your finger lightly... this would make a D harmonic note... EVH uses this technique, although I dont know what songs (I read it somewhere) its pretty hard to do it fast tho... I usually end of deadening the string (touching too hard and for too long) but it still sounds cool :)

hope this helps, Im no expert, so hopefully someone fixes my mistakes soon

• Members

You can play an octave harmonic on any note. Touch the node twelve frets above the note you're playing with the index finger of your right hand and pick the string, holding the pick between your thumb and middle finger. You can play arpeggiated chords this way and it sounds pretty cool.

Chet Atkins, Lenny Breau and Eric Johnson have all played what they call 'harp harmonics'. Basically this is the technique I just described, with a twist. They grab a six string chord and play an octave harmonic on the 6th string, a regular note on the 5th, harmonic on the 4th string, etc. It enables them to play through the chord very quickly and fools the ear into thinking you played all harmonics.

• Members

Originally posted by Wayrockin1

And there's the EVH technique of just slapping the string 12 frets above the fretted note ala Mean Streets or Starfleet Project.

I've just discovered that technique and I love it!!! You need to develop a bit of touch or it justs comes out as noise but it's worth it.

Ya Min

• Members
Originally posted by Smokey

kewl. I've noticed some spots on the neck generate these harmonic tones easier then others. Why is that?

It's pure physics. Harmonics are easiest to generate at points where the string is divided evenly into fractions.

The 12th fret is half the distance from the nut to the bridge.

The 7th fret is 1/3 the way.

The 5th fret is 1/4 the way.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question, but I think this is what you were asking for.

You gonna e-mail me that v-amp patch you used on your latest tune or what?:D

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

It's pure physics. Harmonics are easiest to generate at points where the string is divided evenly into fractions.

The 12th fret is half the distance from the nut to the bridge.

The 7th fret is 1/3 the way.

The 5th fret is 1/4 the way.

this all goes back to the harmonic series. every time you hear a note you are actually hearing many notes above it as well, but they are all progressivly more quiet. The volume levels of these notes give the fundamemtal note its timber (often called "Tone" by guitarist, tone is actually the frequencey of the fundamental, not how it sounds).

on a stringed intrument you can pring out these notes by touching (not fretting) the string on different spots along the neck. to hear all of these using a lot of distortion or compression or what ever will help, because they get really quiet after you go up the neck a bit

open string: funamental

twelth fret: Octatve

seventh fret: Fifth above the octave

fifth fret: 2nd octave

fourth fret: Major third above the second octave

after this they stop falling on frets, but you can still find them if you feel it out, the space just gets a little shorter every time

3 1/4 fret: fifth above the second octave

2 3/4 fret: b7 above second octave

2 1/3 fret: 3rd octave

2 fret: second above third octave

it gets hard to find after this but I can get up to these notes

major third above the third octave

a note half-way between a fourth and a tritone, three octaves up

fifth + three octaves

a note half-way between a minor and a major six.

thats all I can get, they keep on going up in incresingly miniscule intervals, but by that time the notes have such little effect on the timber of the original note that it really doesn't matter

I can kinda get the octave above that but not the inbetween notes.

I use these tiny harmonics all the time in my writing, because I thik they soud cool.

thats all I got on this one.

Archived