How to start a volume war

Terje

• Members
Originally posted by robochimp

Once when I was in a band, the drummer wanted to get a second guitarist. So I said" Sure, you know you're right about this whole'filling the sound out' thing. We
should
get a second guitarist...and a second drummer, too. You know, just to ' fill the sound out'". He never mentioned it again. I swear, this guy would hit harder whenever I took a solo.

As subtle :rolleyes: as that hint was, did he actually get it and play a little softer during your solos?

• Members

Originally posted by lazaraga

nothing wrong with mitch though.

really can't be compared.

peace

Sure they can be compared. Listen to The Band of Gypsys version of "Machine Gun" with Buddy Miles, and then listen to the Isle of Wight version of "Machine Gun" with Mitch Mitchell.

It's night and day and you can't get much better than that in terms of how two different drummers would treat the same song.

• Members
Originally posted by Jimmy James

Sure they can be compared. Listen to The Band of Gypsys version of "Machine Gun" with Buddy Miles, and then listen to the Isle of Wight version of "Machine Gun" with Mitch Mitchell.

And again I have to say Buddy Miles.

Should I repeat it once more? :D

• Members
Originally posted by Terje

And again I have to say Buddy Miles.

Should I repeat it once more?
:D

Yeah, but I was responding to someone else.:D

See, the name of the person was listed just above the quote I posted. That way everyone can tell who it is I'm responding to. So what would happen next is that the person I quoted would reply to what I said. Then we get a sense of real conversation and clarity. Just like in real life.

If someone else jumps in too soon with nothing to add, it's kinda like cutting the person off before they respond. Just like in real life. But once the quoted person responds, the conversation opens up to all who can throw in their two cents.

Besides, you're repeating yourself.

Am I being unnecessarily clear?:D

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmy James

It's night and day and you can't get much better than that in terms of how two different drummers would treat the same song.

my lp of isle of wight doen'st have machine gun. and besides just hearing that gig on record and hearing anecdotes about the whole show itself, one might be wary of making a comparison between it and the stellar performances on band of gypsys.

of course its night and day.

you're comparing one of jimi's best with one of his worst.

but don't blame it all on the drummers.

try comparing band of gypsys with axis.

now that's a bit harder.

what about all mitch's fills on that album?

like at the beginning of if 6 was 9?

i just gotta speak up for mitch.

peace

• Members

Originally posted by lazaraga

my lp of isle of wight doen'st have machine gun. and besides just hearing that gig on record and hearing anecdotes about the whole show itself, one might be wary of making a comparison between it and the stellar performances on band of gypsys.

of course its night and day.

you're comparing one of jimi's best with one of his worst.

but don't blame it all on the drummers.

try comparing band of gypsys with axis.

now that's a bit harder.

what about all mitch's fills on that album?

like at the beginning of if 6 was 9?

i just gotta speak up for mitch.

peace

I'll give you that one but if you haven't seen or heard Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live at The Isle of Wight, you should. It makes up for any previous crappy edited versions of that show.

Still not his best but goes up a notch or two from what everybody was use to because of it's completeness and uninterupted flow. Passion and uneartlhy talent supercedes technique and the occasional clam.

Compare The Band of Gypys version of "Machine Gun" with The Live at Berkeley version. With the Cry of Love line up it's probably one of their best recorded shows.

The band was really on so there's no excuses. Compare and contrast. You can hear the difference.

Archived